Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: St James Bay Tool Co - experiences?

St James Bay Tool Co - experiences?

Hi everyone.

From time-to-time I've seen fleeting references to the St James Bay Tool Co, but nothing much.

I had a look through their website this morning, and could not get over the bargain prices on their planes (at least when the site was last updated). Where else can you buy a complete and handled cocobolo infill bronze-bodied plane for $400?

Has anyone had the experience of dealing with SJBTC? And does anyone own one of their infills?

Curious, all the way from Sydney,
    Adriaan

Good folks

I havent bought an infill from them but I have ordered many replacement parts and blades for planes that they make. Their stuff is quality made and they have good customer service. I would suggest calling them but since youre not in the US you may want to email them.

FWW article

Fine Woodworking Tools and Shops had a piece on building one of their kits in the Winter 2005/2006 issue.

Good people, good tools, highly recommended

walt Q
    There's no tool like an old tool

I've been trying to email St James Bay Tool Co., but I keep getting error messages. I don't have that issue with any other addresses I use. Anyone know if there is a problem with their site?

Thanks,

Craig

I'd call them if you want to get something and email isn't working. set aside a little time, though because you might be on the phone longer than you expect. i haven't bought an entire plane but i did buy a dovetail plane kit and for the price, it's really fantastic.

FWIW, I've noticed they're selling stuff on eBay (user name " st.jamesbaytoolco " ) - I hadn't noticed that before, but it seems like they've been doing it for a while.

Yeah, same stuff (how many people would be named that, anyway?). That was the origin of my plane kit, ebay, and I called the owner after ordering to see if I could switch the width of the plane since he had several other kits. I think I was on the phone for 45 minutes. He knows his stuff about tools, and is genuinely very interested in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig J Brain View Post
    I've been trying to email St James Bay Tool Co., but I keep getting error messages. I don't have that issue with any other addresses I use. Anyone know if there is a problem with their site?

Thanks,

Craig
    Put some time aside and call him, you will be on the phone for close to an hour. He is a one man shop. Even when you visit the place, he usually is in the back running machinery, not up front. Granted, he probably doesn't get much foot traffic. Interesting fellow no doubt.

Blog Entries
    I bought a cast infil plane kit from them. The written instructions were not very helpful but on the phone they were great. I spoke w/ them last about 4 months ago and I think they were selling only kits - no finished planes (but I don't want to speak for them).

Mike

I bought a coffin in-fill smoother along with an extra blade. Bob is not email friendly but he's great on the phone. I have gotten email responses but it's sporadic. When I bought my kit about 4 years ago, he was discontinuing making completed planes...again it's up to Bob. The kit took a bit of time to do as I only worked on it when I felt like it and other projects permitted.

The completed plane will take sub-thou shavings no sweat. The blade is a bit tickle-ish to adjust. I did put a screw adjustor on mine but if I did it again, I'd just use a small hammer.

Here's a pic of the parts sent in the box just opened and the completed plane.

IMG_0770.jpgIMG_0862.jpg

Cocobolo infill, blade is 01 which sharpens easy and keeps an edge, I think, 50 + degree bed, rock maple diamond. Worth every penny and a bit more IMHO.

Brese used to offer plane kits but he's temporarily ( over a year now I think ) suspended the offer. Brese's kits are an easier task to build I think. I tested one of his at a wood show and they were a dream plane for sure.

Enjoy the process !
    Last edited by Terry Beadle; 05-15-2012 at 1:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Terry Beadle;1927751]

IMG_0770.jpgIMG_0862.jpg

"blade is 01 which sharpens easy and keeps an edge, .."

Hello Terry,

I built the SJB version of the Norris #53. I had some trouble getting a sharp edge to the blade - I think it's the same 01 steel as yours ( I got whatever blade came with the kit). I'm not familiar with 01 steel blades and I didn't really give the blade the proper lapping and initial sharpening time it deserves as I had an A2 Hock blade I was more familiar with that was already set up and ready to go and I ended up using that.

I'm wondering if I should try building a woodie to use the SJB blade. Did you notice any difference in sharpening and edge characteristics with the 01 SJB Blade versus a typical A2 to blade?

"i did buy a dovetail plane kit and for the price, it's really fantastic"

David, I've never built a dovetailed infill plane before but would like to give it a try and think kit is the best way to go. I looked at the SJB website and I didn't see anything about dovetailed infill plane kits - do you remember the name/model number of the kit you got from them? I would like to give them a call and ask about it.

Thanks for the help!

All the best, Mike

Mike - give them a call and ask if they have any (ebay is where I saw them, they definitely weren't on the website at the time, either). I know he makes them in batches and sometimes he has them and sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes they're with adjuster, sometimes they're not, etc. Sometimes they're brass sided, sometimes they're steel.

But I think the dovetailed kits are probably the easiest way for a guy without access to a machine shop to bang a plane together. scratch built is also an option, but there is a LOT of work in doing all of the metalwork from flat stock if you're doing it entirely by hand, and having pre-cut sides and bottoms to basically clean up is a real time saver.

Compared to other kits out there, his prices are absurdly low (that's not a bad thing) and the iron and cap iron combination that I got with mine is excellent. I believe the kit with everything you need (I might have needed to get 1/4" round stock for pins, I don't remember) was only about $140.

At any rate, if you do get a kit and run into issues with construction (filing, marking whatever), let any of us know. It's not too hard to make a plane, but it's easy to make a paperweight, too. (my first one was totally scratch built except the lever cap screw, and it was ugly with a capital U. I still have it, it does work well...but it's ugly!!).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kerley View Post
    Put some time aside and call him, you will be on the phone for close to an hour. He is a one man shop. Even when you visit the place, he usually is in the back running machinery, not up front. Granted, he probably doesn't get much foot traffic. Interesting fellow no doubt.
    I'd love to do that, but phoning from Australia is expensive and I have the 'flu at the moment and really can't talk a lot. Looks like I may have no choice but to try calling and wheeze through an order. I hope he doesn't think I'm some sort of crank caller.

Craig

Great news! I got in touch with him and am in the process of putting together an order

Thanks for the terrific advice everyone.

Craig