Thread: Drill Press - Which One?

Drill Press - Which One?

I am wanting to buy a floor drill press for strictly woodworking....I'll probably immediately place an aftermarket rockler/incra table on it. I'd like to get a 3/4HP motor as I have stalled a 1/2 horse waaaay too many times

I don't want to spend more than $300 - what are your suggestions?
    GO POKES!!

My advice is take the $99 for the DP table and add it to the price of your DP and get the Steel City DP. Probably/Arguably the best DP for the money available today. Should be right around $400-$450. The 6" quill stroke and quill lock are outstanding features and do not exist on any models less than $700. This DP is SOLID!! Save the $$ and get the Steel City - You will not regret this!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have to agree with Mike. As soon as I have the space and money the Steel City is the drill press I'm considering. You can always make a good DP table.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Check out the Delta 17-950L. Nice drill press in the $350 range and you wont need an aftermarket table. I bought mine at Amazon when shipping was free. Now shipping is $149. Thats too high. Lowes sells this drill press also. Read the reviews at Amazon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lance Norris; 05-19-2007 at 6:57 PM.

I second the 17-950L--I have one and is a great machine. No excessive run-out, at least on mine. Can pick it up at the local Lowes. I have never used the lazer system on it, so can't vouch for it. For some reason I don't trust those systems anyways, so mine has not even seen a battery.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

Eddie,
    Do you predict that will be in my budget?
    GO POKES!!

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    As soon as my new shop is cleaned up and wired, I will be ordering the Steel City DP. It is the best one I have seen for the money and the longest quil travel.

Blog Entries
    I was planning on the SCTW DP when I got a deal too good to pass up on the Delta 17-950L. Added the Woodpecker table also at a good price. I certainly wouldn't advise against the SCTW press as it was my first choice. Circustances led me here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57826
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Delta 17-965

I am looking at the Delta 17-965. 3/4 HP, nearly 5" of quill travel, external depth stop and delivered to my door for about $385.00. Haven't seen anything negative about the machine yet and it's been in production for a few years.

I second again the 17-950L--Glenn's is a sweet setup. This is going to happen to mine soon!!!!
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

I suppose I should chime in since I just bought a nice DP. It was half price and that is still way out of range if you are looking to spend 300-400. I have had way too many experiences with cheap DPs and runout/vibration so decided on something with that "handmade" finish. I am not sorry.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...ghlight=34-33c

The 6" quill travel is THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE for a drill press for woodworking. If you can't afford a new one with that feature, buy a used one. I paid around $200 for used Rockwell industrial machine. I see them on ebay all the time. You won't get nice shiny new paint but you will get an even better machine...joe

look at the new pm dp it is real sweet

I've had the Delta 17-965 for a little over a year, and it's been very solid. Only complaint is the stop button is pretty stiff to punch. Runnout with a test pin is about .002", table is flat and level. Looked at Jet, Rigid, Craftsman, smaller Deltas, etc., and this was the only one that the chuck wouldn't noticably move if you grabbed it and wiggled! Shop Fox and Jet were the loosest. If the 950L is as solid as this one, you can't go wrong.