I suspect this question is directed more to Keith since i see a good majority of the post come from him (plus he owns a laser so i assume he has done his homework). First - the reason for a laser is to add to my woodworking as a hobby but with military retirement in 3 years the possibility of doing woodworking after then is a strong possibility. I have a shop paid for, i will have aquired all the necessary tools, and possibly would have a laser. So with low overhead a woodshop as a business seems very fessable. Now, what do you need to look for in a laser? As with tool buying - you pay for quality - so the assumption would be the more expensive, generally the better quality of laser. What would be the minimum wattage to look at? Can all lasers do 3D cutting? How about table size? Enclosed table or not? I found a laser kit company and for about 10K i could have a 70 watt with a very large table. Here is the link. I don't know if it is even a good idea. I do want a laser for my hobby and even put a bug in LOML's ear, plus i could have it paid for before retirement. PS - i don't see me going much more in price just in case a business down the road does not pan out. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.