Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jet Joiner Any Good?

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    I was also thinking of getting a Dewalt or steel city 13" plainer to complament the joiner.
    http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...y=9&tool=40200

In that case I wouldn't need a bigger joiner correct? I never thought of doing boards with wise on them. Where I live in NJ, summit, it is actually pretty hard to get unfinished lumber.
    I can't talk to the Dewalt or the Steel City planers as I have never used them, but I love my Delta 22-580 13" two-speed planer. Plus, I just checked, and Amazon has it listed for just under $300. Hard to beat at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Actually, that's incorrect. I learned this only recently. Apparently, you have to have one, truly flat side, square to the edges, in order for the stock to be square after you run it through the planer. The only way to get one side truly flat and square to the edges is running one flat side on a jointer first. Then you can run the other side, and subsequently both sides, through the planer.

Am I describing this correctly?
    For the most part, yes, Pat. The trick is to flatten one side on the jointer. Then use that flat face against the fence to square up an edge. From there, go to the planer to flatten the opposite face parallel with the first, then the table saw to rip it to get an edge parallel to the first edge. Using this technique will give you truly flat material to work with, and will save you the pain and heartache that using twisted lumber will give you down the road. I learned that from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by David Tiell View Post
    I can't talk to the Dewalt or the Steel City planers as I have never used them, but I love my Delta 22-580 13" two-speed planer. Plus, I just checked, and Amazon has it listed for just under $300. Hard to beat at that price.
    I bought the same planer a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. Be sure to get the "optional" dust collector attachment. Otherwise, your shop might look like a dust collector exploded. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but it was on sale at Rockler. Most folks seem to prefer the 3-knife DeWalt, but the cost difference was enough to steer me toward the Delta.

Right now I'm not sure the two speeds are necessary, but perhaps I'll eventually find out they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I bought the same planer a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. Be sure to get the "optional" dust collector attachment. Otherwise, your shop might look like a dust collector exploded. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but it was on sale at Rockler. Most folks seem to prefer the 3-knife DeWalt, but the cost difference was enough to steer me toward the Delta.

Right now I'm not sure the two speeds are necessary, but perhaps I'll eventually find out they are.
    I also have the 22-580. It does an excellent job, and I'd recommend it to anyone getting a lunchbox planer.

As many others have said, I'd recommend going to an 8" if you can. I had a 6" Delta X5 and liked it, but I was limited to the boards I could face joint. Most of the stock I buy at the yard are around 8", which means I couldn't use the 6" jointer without cutting it down to size. And with a 6" jointer it's nearly impossible to get a final width of 6".

IF, and I stress IF, you don't work with boards over 6" wide, go with the 6" jointer. But if you work with boards over 6" even 10% of the time, I would be you'll regret the 6" jointer like I did. My opinion: save your money and invest in an 8". I got my 8" Shop Fox for just over $700 new, shipped.

If you don't have the time, money, or room, go with the 6".

Good luck!

I have had the Jet Jointer and have zero issues with the unit. I do plan on upgrading to a larger unit when I can.

When you are truing and squaring lumber, you must joint a face flat. If you are using a 8" wide board with a 6" jointer you must rip it into 2 pieces to true and square and then glue them back together. I hope someday to have a 12" jointer. Must have more (much more) space.

Bob

I just wanted to add...Even s4s lumber will likely have a little cupping on the wide surface.It really steps up your woodworking several notches when you start working with truly flat and parrallel surfaces.

Also, I started with a 6" jet jointer. It was a good machine, but realized quickly that it wasn't wide enough. I am wanting a 12" now as my DJ20 8" is borderline sometimes.
    Last edited by Randy Denby; 05-22-2007 at 10:06 PM.
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

I had one and it was a very good jointer but soon upgraded to an 8". Changing the blades on the Jet is a hoot to say the least. Whatever way you go, I would recommend looking in the used market as the Jet ones pop up fairly frequently used for $250 - $300.

I found mine very lightly used over two years ago. I'm about needing to install my third set of knives for it, and I haven't had a single complaint. A couple of months ago I went after it with a straight edge and angles, and it has stayed true (even after accidentally getting moved by the beds a couple of times).

I manage to get by, but an 8" would be ideal. Most of the wood I find is 6-7.5". Of course most of my milled parts are much smaller. It would just be nice to mill all of the stock at once; without having to go through the extra steps of figuring and ripping the rough stock before it is milled.