Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which router for a "quick grab" router

Which router for a "quick grab" router

I've noticed alot of guys around here seem to have their big router (PC7518 etc) and then a quick grab router to do quick roundovers, shallow mortises, etc.
    Since there are sooo many routers from trim routers to 1.75 HP to 2.25HP, I was wondering if anyone can suggest one that would be light and stable enough to do quick roundovers on cabinets, table edges, do dovetails on the jig, and do shallow mortising for hinges and such. (I'd prefer a porter cable or hitachi)

Thanks!
    GO POKES!!

Aaron,

I would suggest a d-handle porter cable 690. I just love the stability, availability of accessories, and the ease of on/off. Also - can be picked up for good prices from time to time on Amazon. $0.02

- Rob
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

I'll second Rob's suggestion of the PC 690. Great highly reliable router that can be had cheaply enough to make well worth-while.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Hamilton View Post
    ...I was wondering if anyone can suggest one that would be light and stable enough to do quick roundovers on cabinets, table edges,Thanks!
    I realize that it's not a PC or Hatachi, but for edging I've found that my little Craftsman (yes, I know some don't like C'man tools - I bought this set for $99 before I found WWing forums) router table and their 2 hp router to be a very handy combination.

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/0...=2.56&fmt=jpeg
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Blog Entries
    Milwaukee 5615 with the body grip. If I had a small plunge, I'd probably grab that.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Is there a plunge base for the pc690?
    GO POKES!!

Yep, there is a plunge base for it. It is the only plunge router I have and I have to assume others are much better, because if it is an example of a good plunge router, I don't know why people think plunge routers are so handy.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stuewe View Post
    Yep, there is a plunge base for it. It is the only plunge router I have and I have to assume others are much better, because if it is an example of a good plunge router, I don't know why people think plunge routers are so handy.
    I've never used the plunge base for the 690, but I've heard it's not the best choice available. But again, the 690 with the fixed base is hard to beat, although I have been contemplating the new Bosch Colt 1 hp palm router.

I have the plunge base the for 690. Works fine and they're bullet proof. The one I have is getting long in tooth. I understand their newer models have easier to adjust mechanisms...that's good because it's not the easiest to adjust, but they certainly are a work horse.

I say this tongue in cheek. This is a real nice small router & very quiet. In the pic you see I am mortising out for small hinges on a box I am building. I have the PC 690 single speed motor with D handle standard handle base as well as the plunge. I also have the PC 690 standard base with variable speed motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 05-22-2007 at 4:09 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Since you mentioned a plunge base, I assume you are interested in a multi-base kit.

I think the best is the DW618 3-base kit. My "quick-grab" router is the DW618 with a D-handle base. The fixed base is dedicated to a flush trim jig (it used to be in my benchtop router table). The plunge base is semi-dedicated to the EZ-Smart.

If you are patient and lucky, you can catch a DW618 kit during an Amazon crazy sale for cheap.

I'm not a fan of the PC690 plunge base. I bought several kits for the fixed base and the D-handle base, but always sold the plunge base.

My (former) PC690 kit

My (current) DW618 kit
    Last edited by Hoa Dinh; 05-22-2007 at 4:10 PM.

Excluding the plunge feature, I find I'm using the Bosch Colt a lot, does a pretty nice job for a little router.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

OK, I'm hearing a pretty good arguement for the DW618 as my all purpose router (I do need the plunge feature).

For you 618 owners...how's the weight? I'm just worried a 2.25 hp is just a bit bigger than I was shooting for, but if that's what works...then I'll get it.
    GO POKES!!

Blog Entries
    David and Aaron,

I also have the Colt and would recommend it to anyone up to the point where a PC310 makes sense (that is, running it for hours a day). Very nice to use, more power than you'd expect. I'm looking to add Pat Warner's bases to mine.

It is not however, a replacement for a hand held router IMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler