Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soapstone Counter Installation - Long

Soapstone Counter Installation - Long

I have finally finished my sister’s kitchen project. I started this project two months ago. I told her that projects are always long going with free labor. I spent one weekend demolishing and installing new subfloors and ceramic tile, a second weekend doing electrical, plumbing, assembling and install the Ikea Cabinets. She spent the last 6 weeks without running water in the kitchen – I am not so sure that she was too happy with me. This past weekend I managed to get a way from my office on Friday morning for the final step…. Cutting and installing soapstone counters.

I was able to purchase a slab and a half of soapstone from a local supplier. He let me cut it to size in his parking lot – which was great. He helped load it onto a trailer and I drove to Fond du Lac to (1.75 hours north) for installation. I was scared with the bouncing of the trailer that it would break, but it arrived without a mishap. I have included a few pictures of my experience.

A few things about the soapstone – it cut pretty well with a $20 HF diamond blade in the circular saw. Routing round-over’s and small profiles were a breeze. I thought that using a pattern cutting bit in my router and having the sink rough cut to allow the use of the template would be easier. That was a PIA for the first sink half. I was going to try and cut the sink in the house after we carried in the slab because if cut outside, I am sure that we would have broken the slab even carrying it vertical. This stuff is heavy! 25 lbs/sqft and awkward! After cutting this on Friday – there was no way I was going to do any additional cutting or sanding of this in the house than I had to. Also, I decided after moving the first piece into the house that I would find the center of the sink; make a perpendicular cut across the soapstone at this location; and then but the joints together in the house with epoxy. My last two houses have had granite and this is the way the professionals did it – so why not? I think that it worked OK and was a lot easier to handle.

The entire issue of cutting the sink was difficult. After butting the slabs back together and drawing the template of the outline on it, I pulled them apart and used a diamond HF blade in my 4.5” Makita angle grinder to rough the hole out. This took some time because of the inside curves. I figured that the router would be able to clean up the waste pretty quickly after getting it roughed with the grinder. This was not to be. I learned a lot on the first rough cutout and the second went much faster – 30minutes compare to an hour for the first. I slapped the template on the first rough cut side and started routing. First thing – no matter how hard you push on the router – 1/64” off in each pass at the most. It took me at least an hour to complete this side of the sink. On the other side I was a little smarter. I put a masonry grinding cup in the grinder and got to less than 1/8” all the way around the template – that took 15-min. Routing that side didn’t take another 15-min – but the router stopped midway through the process. I thought that I blew a breaker – nope the cap holding the brush on the PC 690 unscrewed and popped off into the grass. I actually found it and cursed for 15min trying to get back on. Started the sink at 11:00 – completed the process at 3:15. I should have never of talked her into an undermount sink!

Carried in the pieces and leveled them up with some shims, some PL construction adhesive and some silicone caulk. The large 3x5 piece for the peninsula was quite heavy and caused the cabinet to bow in the back a little. I lagged a 2x4 onto the pack wall through the cabinet and solved that problem. All that is left is the installation of the back splash and oiling the stone. After my sister has it oiled I will get some more pics!

Thanks for looking

1 First 5’x10’ slab with a few lines for lay out
    2 First cuts required for all cuts
    3 Cutting a piece of backsplash prior to cutting the 8-ft x 25.5” counter piece
    4 Back at my sister’s house – laying out a cut for a small 2x2 counter and the remaining 3x2 cabinet
    5 2x3 piece carried in and set in place – looks good so far!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

More Photos

More photos

More photos again

A couple more

Wow, that's some project!

Back up a bit and tell us why you chose soapstone for the counter. Obviously, a big advantage is that it can be machined with woodworking tools. How does it compare to fomica, tile, and slab granite on cost and stain resistance?

Jamie,

With my sister on a very limited budget, I mentioned soapstone to her. She really wanted granite, but there was no way that she could afford it being a full-time student and full time nurse at the same time.

I got some quotes for laminate, Corian, granite, Silestone, mfg. quartz, and some of the generic solid surfaces. The prices ranged from $1800 for the laminate to over $5000 for granite. Without getting a builder's discount, you are at the mercy of what the installer wants to charge. I got some samples for her and she liked it, also I could do it for cheaper than the laminate.

It is a softer stone, but will not absorb stains at all once sealed with the mineral oil - remember the old lab desks in school - they were all soapstone. You can place a hot pan directly on it without any chance of leaving marks or spalling of the surface. Being able to do it myself was the biggest plus. Small scratches sand out with 180 and 220 grit wet/dry sand paper. I only paid $34 per sqft for the stuff. Granite installed would be $120 installed for a stock, lower tier, stone. This made her decision very easy!

Overall a rewarding project and will try to do a smaller peice when I finish my basement rec-room.

-Rob

Rob,

Your sister can place a hot pan directly on the surface, but the heat will dry the stone requiring reapplication of oil to that area. Your sister will need to reapply oil periodically, pretty frequently at first, so soapstone isn't completely maintenance free. It is a great choice for countertops and I'm sure is going to really enjoy it!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Hi Rob,
    Nice work!! Soapstone is a used a lot out here in new higher end homes. I,ve seen several applications where sinks were made out of it and it has a wonderful look. I like it more than granite and I'm encouraged to see it can be machined easily. May be a bit more than a weekend project, but now I might just try it myself. Congrats on a great looking kitchen. John.

8. Excellent work. I really enjoyed reading your posts.

Couple of questions: Are you going to make a backsplash with the soapstone also? Will you be you be routing angled drainage flutes (I think they're called flutes) near the sink? How would you do that if you are, some kind of angle-sled jig?

Thanks,
    Steve

Wonderful job!

Rob: What a great alternative to expensive granite. It is beautiful and gives people an option to upgrade from formica without the hugh extra expense of granite. This has been very informative and it is something I have been pondering in replacement of my own countertops. This gives me a nice option to think about. Thanks! I see in the picture that has you leaning on the L-shpaed counter top that the outside corner of the bottom of the L is rounded ( the right angle ) with a nice radius. I was wondering how did you do that? Thanks,
    Gary Brewer

Rob,

I meant to comment earlier, but forgot. I am surprised Soapstone is less expensive than granite in your area. In our area Soapstone is about $20 more per square foot installed than granite, and for a while our shop was the only one around that would work with Soapstone. Lucky you on the price score! I would be interested to know how pricing between the two works out in other areas. If any of you have info please share. Thanks!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Hi Belinda,
    In the Seattle area the installed granite is ~~$100 sqft and soapstone is slightly less. Not sure how it compares to the synthetics.

Thanks John. In Savannah granite starts at $65, Soapstone is $85 to $87, quartz surfacing is $68 to $76. Wonder why granite is so much higher in your area. Granite is selling in Florida right now for as little as $37. All prices per sq ft installed.

Bella Terra

radius

Quote Originally Posted by "Gary Brewer" View Post
    Rob: What a great alternative to expensive granite. It is beautiful and gives people an option to upgrade from formica without the hugh extra expense of granite. This has been very informative and it is something I have been pondering in replacement of my own countertops. This gives me a nice option to think about. Thanks! I see in the picture that has you leaning on the L-shpaed counter top that the outside corner of the bottom of the L is rounded ( the right angle ) with a nice radius. I was wondering how did you do that? Thanks,
    Gary Brewer
    Gary - that was to cover up a small (or large if you want to look at it that way) chip that was broken off the corner. We cut the stones vertical, and had the fork lift provide a little tension on the slab so it would not slip and pinch the blade, or worse fall and crush me. That tension caused the first piece we cut to snap at about 2" from the end. I scored the ends prior to starting the cuts after this happened.

As far as the radius, I cut it by using the diamond blade in the angle grinder to cut it close to the marked line, then 60-grit in a belt sander to finish it off. This took not more than 5-minutes to make it look as shown. The angle grinder cut the stone like butter. - Rob

Backsplash

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Berberich View Post
    Excellent work. I really enjoyed reading your posts.

Couple of questions: Are you going to make a backsplash with the soapstone also? Will you be you be routing angled drainage flutes (I think they're called flutes) near the sink? How would you do that if you are, some kind of angle-sled jig?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve,

I cut three strips of 8'x3" for the backs plash while at the guys parking lot. I then picked the best side and used the 60-grit in the belt sander to remove any saw marks that were bad. I then followed with a 5-in random orbit sander with 120 and 180 to polish it the best I could. I could then quickly cut a 3/16" radius quarter round with the router. You literally cut cut the radius as fast as you could move the router down the piece. It was as easy as cutting wood with a small radius cutter.

I haven't decided on the angled flutes yet, or should I say that I haven't tried to talk my sister into them, yet. I think that they look really "finished" I figure that I would make an angled sled for a core bit and cut them that way. I did this with a small chunk that I had been practicing on and it looked ok. I worry about the water wrapping back around the edge of the sink - I was not able to cut a drip edge under the lip near the undermount sink (like a window sill or door threshold) prior to attaching the tops - and therefore may be more trouble than it's worth- Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Thanks John. In Savannah granite starts at $65, Soapstone is $85 to $87, quartz surfacing is $68 to $76. Wonder why granite is so much higher in your area. Granite is selling in Florida right now for as little as $37. All prices per sq ft installed.
    Belinda,

From what the guy told me that I purchased the stone from, shipping is everything on the material. He said that he is paying almost $5 per square foot for delivery to the Midwest. Also, some of the granite that others have been advertising at the lower prices has been 3/4" with a built up bull nose. List for material from other stone suppliers was $54 per square for soapstone. They also wanted $20 per square foot on top of that to do the install.

- Rob