Thread: New dado set

New dado set

I needed to make some drawers for a coffee table and thought this was the perfect opportunity to use my new dado set. I have an Avenger 8" 42T dado set that I received for my birthday. I made a 1/4 inch finger joint jig and went to town. When I finished I noticed the saw blades did not leave a square dado but it's rounded. I went back with a 1/4" morticing chisel and cleaned them up but that didn't come out as clean as I would have liked. Is this a common problem or just a cheap dado set? Thanks for your help.
    For every 99 people that can handle adversity there is only one that can handle prosperity. Lord let me be that man!

I'm not familar with the Avenger brand, but generally wobble type dado will leave a rounded bottom (never really understood why). However, since you are only doing 1/4 dados, I wouldn't have thought the rounding problem would have been that noticable.

If the Avenger is a stacked model, does it really leave a rounded bottom or is more like small divits in the corners?

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Welcome to SMC - please take the time to read the following post as regards to proper membership names. Thanks !!
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...?threadid=5841
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

The Dado is a stacking type and does leave the little divits in each side. Because I was making 1/4" cuts, it looks kind of rounded. I just used the inner and outer blades without any cutters and a .010 shim. Is this a common problem with all blades?
    For every 99 people that can handle adversity there is only one that can handle prosperity. Lord let me be that man!