Thread: Router 'above the table adjustable' - what does that mean?

Router 'above the table adjustable' - what does that mean?

The Freud FT3000VCE router boasts to be 'above the table micro adjustability'. Does this mean that you can easily adjust the height of this router on a router table without a lift? How easily is it to work with on a router table without a lift?

John

See link
    Scott
    Last edited by Scott Loven; 05-23-2007 at 8:57 AM. Reason: fix link

OK - I found this - However, when the unit is used in a router table, it really begins to show off its strengths. The FT1700VCEK includes a removable adjustment knob that allows not only for accurate height adjustments from above the table, but it also can raise the collet up above the table to a position where the bit can be changed without removing the router. Better yet, the spindle lock mechanism is engaged when the collet is extended above the table, meaning that bit changes can be easily accomplished with one hand!

SO I guess a router lift would not be necessary for the Freud FT1700 or FT3000. That would be nice.

John

Scott - the link you provided is a dead link.

Adjustable height on a router is a great feature in my opinion - me current router table setup does not have one and I find myself wishing for one pretty often.
    "You don’t get harmony when everybody sings the same note." —Doug Floyd

Blog Entries
    This refers to the ability to adjust the bit height and sometimes change bits and lock the motor from above the table. I believe you'll find the Freud does allow height adjustment and bit changes but requires the locking of a cam lever from below the table to lock the height setting.

Some lifts also require a lock below the table, most do not. Some lifts will not raise the router high enough (sometimes this is the lift, sometimes the router motor design) to change bits without at least special wrenches. Most will for most popular table routers.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I don't know about the Freud FT3000, but the FT1700 does allow change bits, lock/unlock the motor, and adjust bit height above the table.

The only problem is that the hole to lock/unlock the motor and the hole to adjust bit height are about 160 degrees apart. The fence likely blocks the access to one. So I install the router so that the hole to adjust bit height is in front of the fence, and reach below the table to lock/unlock the motor. Not a major inconvenience IMHO.

Maybe this will fix the link:
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    This refers to the ability to adjust the bit height and sometimes change bits and lock the motor from above the table. I believe you'll find the Freud does allow height adjustment and bit changes but requires the locking of a cam lever from below the table to lock the height setting.

Some lifts also require a lock below the table, most do not. Some lifts will not raise the router high enough (sometimes this is the lift, sometimes the router motor design) to change bits without at least special wrenches. Most will for most popular table routers.
    What he said.

In most "above the table" routers:
    There is an integral pin lock that engages the spindle when you bring the router body together with the base. Then the collett will be projecting substantially through the base such that it'll also be above most router table bases.
    This lets you take a wrench to the collett without it spinning and with no need for a second wrench

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

I have this router. It's as you say. You can lock the motor and change the bit from above the table. The height lock remains below the table, but I have not found a need to lock the height adjustment when it is mounted on the table. The weight of the motor, adjustment mechanism, and the springs seem to do a good job at keeping the height stable. It is a fine router to mount to a table. The only issue I had was the lack of a pre-drilled base plate for my router table, but it was a minor issue to drill my own.

SM