Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best propane grill for the money

Best propane grill for the money

I need a new grill and it seems like the good ones are all over $400.

I like the cheaper Weber and Ducane models but am reluctant to buy a Ducane because I have never seen the cheapest model and the Weber seems to be overpriced (just paying for a name).

Here is the Ducane-
    http://www.amazon.com/Ducane-3073110...9882249&sr=8-1

(could this link be a TOS violation? sorry if it is)

Can anyone suggest a good grill for less or talk me into the Ducane?

Hep me, please.

Ben
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

I had a Ducane (natural gas hooked up to the house line) in the house I live in. It was 20+ years old and the body was in great shape, but the cost of replacing the burners and grates (falling apart rusted) was over 200 bucks.

I had a Weber in Singapore (propane) and replaced the Ducane with a Weber here (natural) and am extremely satisfied. I've had it for 2 years. Even, consistent heat. Igniter stills works (a rarity). We use it year-round. I've even had to shovel the snow out of the way to use it in winter.

Got the Weber during a Sears sale for a little under $400. Cost that and more to get the 'codified' natural gas hookup in place. Can't go wrong with a Weber, just don't get the stainless models. As long as you keep the cover on, it should last a long time.

Ive had Char broils etc. and then moved up to a Weber Silver series.Its nite and day, the heat is so even.Takes one click to start and its about 2 years old.I keep it in garage an roll out to door when im Qn, plus im in the shop too.
    Heats up to 500 in about 5 minutes with full gas.Seems thats where it stays between 4-500 while cooking on high.I only cook salmon on planks on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig D Peltier View Post
    I only cook salmon on planks on it.
    Farm raised salmon? I didn't think so. May I say 'You suck!'.
    Regards,
    Dick

I have a 15+ year old Ducane that is in great shape. No rust anyplace, lots of stainless steel in the proper places and the original ignitors still work. It just has 2 burners, but that's not a problem since I am used to cooking that way. I hear that the newer ones may not be quite as good as the old ones, but if I were looking for one a Ducane is the 1st one I would look at.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Check out the Brinkman grills. Good prices, good value, good workmanship. We have one and LOVE it.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Love my Weber Silver!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Ben -

I have a 16+ year old Weber 1500. (Now a Silver C.) The firebox, burners, flavorizer bars, etc are all original and in good shape. I have replaced the original cooking grates with cast iron (porcerlain covered) from Home Depot. They make great grill lines. We use the grill at least three times a week. More in the warmer weather.

Good luck with your choice.

Ted

I have the Weber silver and really like it. I think the Ducane is being made by weber now. If I were to get a new grill I think I would look at the Grillmasters.

I like my Weber Platinum (I think!) It's all stainless construction except I think the hood is cast aluminum or something. Only problem is on some of the stainless I've had some minor surface rust, mainly I think from being in a semi-enclosed space near my pool. Chlorine fumes probably getting to it. Yes,some stainless can still rust!

I have the Weber Silver, or what ever it was called in 1999, and it is still in great shape after 8 years of frequent use.
    David B

I love my Weber Silver. Got it for a steal from Home Depot. I think someone priced it incorrectly. Even after questioning the price, they were convinced it was correct. So, I was happy to roll it out to the truck and put it to use that night. Oh, and it was already assembled...
    "Intoxicated with unbroken successes, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us." --Abraham Lincoln

You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.—Winston Churchill

I had a Kenmore (can't remember the OEM) that was decent. When it finally gave up (sometimes we use it five or six times a week), I went to HD and got a Char-Broil. I was SOOOOO dissapointed in the assembly and the overall construction that I took it back and did more research online.

The Amazon reviews led me to the Weber Q300. This is a plastic-resin base with aluminum top. Kinda strange. However, it went together in just minutes and really does excel at even heat/no burning.

I purchased mine at my local hardware store which was within $10-$20 of the Amazon price.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-426001-3...9922384&sr=1-6

I've had the Ducane Stainless http://www.ducane.com/product/Grills.aspx?plid=3&mid=22 for a couple of years now. I love it...and as far as CS... last year the gas regular failed...they had someone here the next day to fix it.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grunow View Post
    I need a new grill and it seems like the good ones are all over $400.

I like the cheaper Weber and Ducane models but am reluctant to buy a Ducane because I have never seen the cheapest model and the Weber seems to be overpriced (just paying for a name).

Here is the Ducane-
    http://www.amazon.com/Ducane-3073110...9882249&sr=8-1

(could this link be a TOS violation? sorry if it is)

Can anyone suggest a good grill for less or talk me into the Ducane?
    Weber bought Ducane a few years back. The model sold on Amazon is basically a Weber with a few cosmetic changes and a Ducane label slapped on the front. It is not even remotely related to the Ducane grills sold for many years.

My parents have a classic Ducane with all stainless on the inside that is 10 to 15 years old. They had to replace the grate on the bottom and all of the ceramic briquettes last year. The grate literally fell apart.

My father believes the reason they had to replace this stuff is because they left the grill running on high for many hours multiple times.

Brian Elfert