Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ?Lighting over and around lathe?

?Lighting over and around lathe?

I am putting my lathe in an essentially unlit area of my garage.
    If you could start from scratch, how would you set up your lighting?
    Flourescent? Directional? Locations?

I'm considering permanent ceiling mounted lamps and movable floor/clamp lights.

Thanks,
    Kurt
    Last edited by Kurt Whitley; 05-23-2007 at 9:53 PM.

lighting

Kurt

I'm a turning newbie, but FWIW, I went with two drafting table lights. They have the articulated arms and swivel heads. I put a 60 watt incandescent daylight bulb in each of them. I can bend, swivel and generally move them any way I want to get the shadow where I need it.

They were cheap and so far, have worked very well.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Kurt I have 3 flourescents above the lathe. One the length of the lathe and then on each end running the opposite of the one above the bed. Kinda in a U shape. I don't have much for shadows. I have T8 daylight bulbs in them. It is almost like being outside on a sunny day. I do have one articulating lamp for close up's or to look inside whatever I am turning.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 05-23-2007 at 11:04 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

DO NOT use fluorescent lights as....

.. the primary light source at the lathe. There is documented medical evidence that the pulsing /strobing effect can induce epileptic seizures in certain prone individuals. They are fine for general area lighting, but an adjustable incandescent type light is much preferred right at the lathe work area.

I have 2 500W halogen work lights ($40) for the general area and an articulating 60W incandescent for the lathe itself. I wish I had more light sometimes, like maybe one or two more of the articulating lamps. ($10 at staples)

I have an 8' Flourescent light in my lathe area and I use an articulate desk lamp with a 100W bulb in it for close lighting while turning. Works fine for me.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thanks!

I appreciate the responses.

It looks like I'll go with the T8 "daylight" on the ceiling and a couple of positionable "point source" lamps.
    My shop is a basement garage and doesn't get hot enought to justify AC, but does get hot enough to make me reluctant to go with Halogen lights for the positionable lamps.
    Any ideas for cooler burning lamps which offer good quality lighting?

Thanks,
    Kurt

I was able to rescue a 10' section of track lighting with 5 lights on it that were being thrown away.
    I mounted it over my workbench/lathe area and I pointed two of the lights down at either side of my lathe so I don't get shadows.

I can easily reposition them or move an extra light down when I need it somewhere.

Kurt I am trying the flourscent bulb that screws into my swing arm lamp. I use the daylight bulbs and so far seems to be ok. It does run cooler for sure.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie- did you read the caution I posted above?

Are you immune to seizures?

HF Magnetic Base Lights

In addition to the standard overhead light in my basement, I have some Harbor Freight magnetic lamps with 100 watt screw in flourescent bulbs. The magnetic lamps are moved around and work on the drill press, bandsaw and the lathe.

Here is a link to the HF lamp. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90766

I use the light stand from these guys on my Oneway 2436. http://www.turningwood.com/light_stand.htm . I started with one Moffat light and then added another one. It allows me to properly light my subject safely and I don't really worry what the background lighting is.

I dunno.. I have been in EMS for 25 years. Running the ambulances and fire trucks of Houston, a very busy EMS system.. I have made countless (seriously, I couln't count them) siezure calls and witnessed hundreds of episodes from epilepsey and injury, and I can't say I've seen one that we could say was caused by flourescent lighting. I'm not saying that it isn't possible, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that I don't think it's at all common. I'd put it somewhere in the "very" to "extremley" rare area.

I have two four foot, four bulb flourescent fixtures over my workbench, lathe area. and four of the two bulb "shop lights" to the sides. I took the "diffusers" off all the fixtures and my shop is bright. I have one articulating incandesent light to posistion light into something I'm hollowing out. Light is good.. God said so.
    "Goverment is not the solution to our problems. Goverment IS the problem" - Ronald Reagan

Thanks for all of the options!

Here is a good link on the risk of seizures from lights. It doesn't appear to be a concern:
    http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/..._seizures.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Kurt I am trying the flourscent bulb that screws into my swing arm lamp. I use the daylight bulbs and so far seems to be ok. It does run cooler for sure.
    I have a couple of these and they do work well.