Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: latest shop remodel

latest shop remodel

Ok, so I have a 2car garage and many of you know that that is not very much space for shop, however, I know of some that have less space, so I feel for you :grin:

over the past few years, I had to get creative to fit all the tools I want into my shop. many of them were upgraded and my space got smaller and smaller. Finally, I am to the point where I think I am good, sure, little stuff here and there, but over all, I have what I need.
    the latest was the 24 double drum sander and I also just bought the vacu-press pump system with 2 poly bags one 4x4 foot, the other 4x8 foot pressing capacity. My last shipment will be a 3hp Oneida dust gorilla that should be here sometime late this week or early next week, I just gotta build a shed for it outside the garage, I just don't have the room inside and I also want to vent outside, here in los angeles, the weather is ok for that.

my remodel started with an upgrade of my water heater that was located in the shop, just a 50gallon unit, but still it took too much space away, so I got a new tankless heater............wow, this thing is awesome, I just can't run out of hot water anymore............ever :grin: :grin: :grin:, but the best thing is, the old waterheater is gone and I finally have the whole shop for tools.

here is what started it all, the darn heater

here is the before

here is the after

few random pics and links to the old and new gallery

planer and drumsander

bandsaws, multirouter and Festool stuff

and my tablesaw/router table and 10" Oliver jointer

here the link to the new gallery

http://www.pbase.com/saschagast/shop_update_52307

here is the old shop setup

http://www.pbase.com/saschagast/woodshop_update

can't wait to do the pipes for the Gorilla and then I should be cool for a while

thanx for looking guys
    Sascha

Very nice, but I have a question: Is that a C.A.O. Cubist ashtray sitting on yourworkbench?

yup, good looking ahstray, isn't it?? but the quality of it is horrible, most letters fell off already, junk. glad I got if free.

I love cigars, Tatuaje's, padron 64s, anything pepin garcia, black, JJ or blue.

here a link to some of my collection, the first pics are when I started to get into it, now, I have 2 100 count humidors FULL, a 28 bottle wine cooler full with boxes and a coolerdor with even more boxes. I am about to build a large cooled cabinet with spanish cedar drawers to hold about 2000 cigars. that's why I remodeled, I need space to work

here the link

http://www.pbase.com/saschagast/my_love_for_cigars
    Sascha

Hey Sascha, very nice shop and tool collection. This a little off topic. Hows the tankless water heater working out? Is it suppling the entire house? Thinking of replacing my heater which is in the basement, second heater in 25 years the current is 12 years old.

Thanks Dennis

Dennis, After a bath remodel and the installation of large shower head and an outdoor shower our forty gallon heater couldn't cut the supply problem. We went with a Noritz brand on demand heater. The only downside is it takes about ten seconds longer for the hot water to get to the faucet and maybe a little longer the farther away the faucet is. The stainless steel exhaust ducting is pricey and can be a determining factor in its installation location.

If you have a large family or a vacation house I would consider one of these a must have. The hot water is fresh in taste and smell. Considering that everybody's taking much longer showers the gas usage hasn't gone up.

Vic

Sasha,

NIce post! I see you've created a large center area that probably works very well for assembly work as well as the bench, router, and TS uses - good idea. I presume they are all the same height?

Did you use 1/2" BB for the TS Sled? I see the front "fence" is somewhat non-traditional (it lays flat and in front).....just a design preference?

Lastly, How do you like the Drum sander? I don't have one...but if I worked in veneers is this a more desirable item??

You use the perimeter of the garage very well to incorporate the other machines.

Thanks!

Sasha,
    Nice post! Love the pictures.
    Can you tell me a few things about your PM 66? I have just purchased one, and have been trying to get it on a mobile base that would fit the dust port in back at ground level. I see you have yours raised up a bit on a platform? Why, and how do you like it in a fixed position in a 2-car garage (I've got 1.5 garage to work with...)?

Also, I see your router table is in the extension, as my old one was, but yours is right up against the saw and the t-slot seems to be running side-to side? Does this allow you to use your table-saw fence for it still? My old one was at the END of the extension table, which seemed to allow me to do work there and still use the TS for most things? How do you like it in the middle? I'm getting ready to design my new under-extension-table router cabinet, so any thoughts you have on yours and it's placement would be very helpful!
    Thanks!

Hi Sasha,
    Thanks for the show! very nice shop. I am not a big turner an am not familiar with that style of lathe. Is that for Bowl turning,what brand, and what is max diameter of bowl you can turn? Thanks, John.

Dennis, I can't speak for Sascha's experience with the tankless water heater, but I recently upgraded to one.

Once you get use to the reality that on demand hot water is not instant hot water, it's great. Saves space, gas and there is no duration limit to hot showers! Now, if you have persons in your home that like long showers, hot water tanks do a very good job of governing the duration of showers. I've noticed my showers getting slightly longer, but still relatively short. Eight to nine minutes, tops.

The tankless unit I have, a Takagi Jr., should last 20 years. It is rated at 2.9 gallons per minute, which for my circumstances is more than adequate. You can get larger units that will meet any practical demand.

I recommend tankless to anyone that is looking at replacing a gas powered water heater. It's a win/win situation, especially with the tax credit available through the end of this year ($300). If you do the work yourself, and shop online for your water heater (I paid $519 w/free shipping for my unit online, whereas the local utility was selling the same unit for $799), you'll end up spending slightly more than if you went with a conventional water heater.

Due to the high heat of the exhaust, the venting system requires category 3 stainless steel, so you may need to upgrade your existing hot water heater venting.

You may need to modify the size of the gas supply line to meet the high BTU requirements of the unit. You would also want to talk to your natural gas utility to verify that your gas meter has the capacity to service your appliances (range, stove, heater, dryer). They'll want to know the size of pipe on the user side of meter, length of run(s) to appliances, BTU requirements of all appliances....

I'm on the cusp of requiring a larger meter. I got the impression from the local utility tech that 200K BTU/Hour meter is standard equipment for residential use.

Dennis

ok, here we go. I have the Noritz brand, highly recommended, great quality. it does work great and just takes a few seconds longer and I mean seconds, even to my shower upstairs, but once hot, it's great and just wont quit.

Roy

yes, all the same height, my sled is like the one David Marks has, you don't need a fence of the front. I just put some hardwood there so I can stand it up and not damage it. but yeah, design pref, nothing else

Dave

I love the PM66 and I am happy I got it now that it's not available anymore. I put it on a plywood base with some non slip tape, solid as a rock. i did this because I like the saw a bit taller, but also the router cabinet was a bit higher. I could have cut it off, but I like working at 36" and I am not that tall, 5'11", but it is very comfortable. the miterslot doesn't bother me much at all, I never need it, I just make the jigs I need. yes, I use the saw's fence for everything, I just attach another diy fence I have if I have to sink the bit.
    maybe one day I build something new for more storage, but so far so good

John

it's a Stubby 1000 lathe and can turn 20" over the bed and 44" with the bed pulled out. it's a very good spindle lathe but a FANTASTIC bowl lathe.

Greg

I agree with everything you said.

mine is a Noritz. total including install was $2600. but the unit alone is $2200 i think. mine does close to 5gal/min and can handle 3+ showers and the washer/dishwasher. I have about 15' of the pipe and it looks very clean, you will need new venting, they won't use the existing.

thanx guys
    Sascha

Sascha,

That is looking great. I have been considering a tankless heater when I replace mine. Didn't think about the added space for tools. Very Cool.

Bob

you won't regret it. it works great and look at the space i got out of it
    Sascha

That re-arrangement worked out nicely, Sascha!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Really Nice set up

I really like the work. went to look for your turnings, they are awesome. (I am a new stubby 750 owners myself). What hollowing set up are you using?

Sascha,
    Its a good thing you got rid of that vacuum system...it made a lot of room that is now being taken in my shop I haven't used it yet....soon...
    Everything looks great! You probably love the drum sander....it saves a lot of time....I use mine on almost every project
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"