Thread: Table saw add-on's

Table saw add-on's

Looking from some input friends as I come closer to pulling the trigger on a new cabinet saw. Green(Grizzly $1,050), Green(Bridgewood
    $1,400), Gray(Delta $1400), White(Shop Fox $1,200) and White(Jet $1,325) still in the running. I have been trying to make them as equivalent as I can. by adding mobile bases. Due to my shop size, I do not plan on adding the extension on and will keep it as a small saw. This makes the Grizzly and Shop Fox more attractive because the promotion specials are on 52 inch fence models of the other three. My question is about adapting a removable splitter and better guard than factory equipped will one weigh out better than the others. I know from the previous input on this topic that any of these saws will be better than the Craftsman contractor that I have been using and will last my lifetime and have enough left for the next generation.

thanks

Tom,

Those are all fine saws, as you say. I got the Bridgewood, and added Brett-Guard. Has worked out great. You're going to have to choose as suits you.

- Ed

I've got the Shop Fox, and can't say enough good things about it... It's really a great saw. I was able to compare it side-by-side with the Jet and Delta prior to purchase, and really couldn't see any significant fit/finish differences, and the runout specs were actually better on the Shop Fox than the others.

I have the Delta Uniguard and Uniguard splitter installed on the saw. I had to press out one pin and put it back in from the other side in order to make the splitter work - took about five minutes. I also removed the rear angle iron piece for the Shop Fox (Biese clone) fence and replaced it with a piece of ¼ X 2" bar stock (under $10 from HD) in order to make the Uniguard mount up using the original brackets. Only involved removing two bolts from the saw, and drilling three holes in the bar stock to mount it up.

I really like the Uniguard. It lacks dust collection, but the 'split' guard is more useful than many others. I highly recommend it.

Tom,

I have a Jet, and added a Beisemeyer splitter.

Please do a search for posts under my name and read about my Jet motor problems last fall. It may make your decision a little easier.

If you have any specific questions you can email me.

Martin
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Tom, it will come down to your fence preference maybe. I have had two Delta Unisaws. The old 1953 model had the old Uniguard mounted on the left rear which was great and was a dream to use. Had the dissappearing splitter on that one which was OK but not real easy to lower or raise (needed screwdriver). The newer one I have also has the Unifence which I got used to and couldn't give up. That's why I got a Delta over the Jet. I have the Excalibur blade guard and Beis splitter on this one. If you are not going to have the right side extension table, the Uniguard blade guard might be a good choice too. I did like the Uniguard design which hasn't really changed except for the mounting, which is better on the right.