Thread: Old Delta Scroll Saw - Junk or not junk?

Old Delta Scroll Saw - Junk or not junk?

I got this old Delta scroll saw from a friend for free. It's been in his basement for 30 years.

It has no model number or markings that I can find other than a Delta stamp on the right side of the top arm. It seems to work. I've used it a few times. I'm just wondering: junk or not junk?

It's huge and takes up valuable space and I don't want to waste time restoring it if it's not worth the trouble.

The day you think you know everything will be very same day you stop learning.

Just my thoughts.....
    No such thing a junky old iron unless it's cracked, broken, or rusted solid.
    If it were mine I'ld slick it up and use it for no other reason than that I did it.
    Bill

Break Out the Steelwool!

Jim,
    Here's my opinion for what its worth.
    If its a tool you will use a lot / the vibration level is acceptable etc.
    Break out the steel wool / spray paint etc. Clean it up and keep it.

If it's something that will only see occasional use, you might want to consider a newer (smaller foot print) unit. I've got a 16" Cman that I mounted to a board that locks into my workmate. It does a great job the 3 times a year I use it. It lives in a cabinet in my garage (out of the way) when it's not in use.

I'm sure the machine is worth saving (provided the motor is good). It's just a question of weather or not it's a good fit for you..
    Good Luck!
    Clint

There are no cracks that I can see and the vibration is not bad. It's heavy, which helps with that.

I have never done any scrolling. Maybe I'll get the bug and it will grow on me.

It needs all new wiring and some new blades. I think I'll spend a few bucks on her and a little elbow grease and see what happens.

I'll just make sure that my scrolling projects involve full sheets of plywood, otherwise I'll probably want something smaller.

Thanks for the common sense booster.

I think that saw is way cool! If you take the time to get it cleaned up and working nicely, I think you'll find the experience very rewarding.

Personally, I wouldn't paint it. I would just get it as clean as possible and perhaps rub out the existing paint with some compound. Then, I'd put on a coat of wax to make it look nice and to keep the scratches from rusting.

Dollars to doughnuts, getting a smaller scroll saw would save you only a little room and have only a slightly smaller footprint.

If you don't want the saw, you could always drop it off at my house.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 05-24-2007 at 8:41 PM.

Good idea, Pat. I think I'm going to take your advice and clean it up and wax it. I'll bet it will look pretty cool.

When I get around to doing it I'll post some pictures of the results. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for pictures of my scroll work though.

this is one of the nicer scroll saws for marquetry work, because of the near vertical travel of the blade. i believe you will enjoy using it and after you clean it up I bet a number of folks would love to own/buy it if it is taking too much room in your shop (i would, if i had the room).

roger

Certainly don't junk it! Take a look at the Old Woodworking Machines site: www.owwm.org for more information. This looks like a fairly early one. The heinous green paint job suggests a former school machine. It also has the coveted Delta lamp that seems to be highly sought after on that online auction site. There's supposed to be a rubber air tube that leads from a pump on the crankcase up through the arm, and out to a tube to blow the dust away from the kerf.

Make sure there's machine oil in the crankcase and give it a spin. A good one will be very smooth like a sewing machine. A tired one will make a bit of a rapping sound. Vibration is rarely an issue due to the quantity of cast iron. Good luck!

Pete

From the look of the motor, I think this one was made around 1940. Delta has a great book called "Getting the most out of your bandsaw and scroll saw", Lindsey Books reprinted it a few years ago, but here is a link to some scanned pages http://bridgeport.askmisterscience.com/deltalit.htm . It looks like one of the previous owner's changed the pullies, the original ones had step pulleys (or variable speed).

On thing to check is the screw that attaches the lower blade clamp, make sure it is tight! I repaired one of these a couple of years ago, because the screw go loose and ovaled the hole. Delta still sells replacement parts, but they are rather costly.

One note of caution, watch your fingers around the blade, that little metal loop is not much protection (don't ask why I know).
    I'm such a good good boy,
    I just need a new toy.

Had one just like that for many years, purchased a new one and sold the old saw as I did not have the room for it. Big, Big mistake. That saw cut like a real champ. Sure wish I had it back. I think it is a 1940s version, not sure though.
    Last edited by Don Selke; 05-26-2007 at 4:33 PM.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

Don't junk it as this scroll saw has many features that others don't. If you look at the lower chuck, you will see two locations in which to clamp an object - one flat and one round (actually it's a couple of V slots, but it is meant to clamp on rounds. In the flat side you clamp the lower end of a scrollsaw blade or you can clamp a jigsaw(sabersaw) blade. In the round side, you can clamp a small file or an attachment that Delta made that had different profiles in which you wrapped sandpaper. If you need to scroll large items, you remove the large bolt in the back of the arm and use a sabersaw blade in the saw.

Someone has been into the gearbox before as the blower on the pulley side is pointing up rather than towards the back of the saw. If the blower is not working, clean out the check valves on the top and bottom of the housing(small round covers with a hole in the middle that unscrew out) and check the bellows (remove the 4 small screws and pull the check valve mechanism off). The bellows is a round metal disk with a leather seal. This seal could be dry. You will then need to thread some 1/8 id tubing from the blower, through the arm to the blade support. There should be a small tube that the hose connects and it blows directly onto the work being cut. Drain out the oil and fill with 10W oil to 1/8 inch below the fill cap. Don't use anything thicker as it will not creep or splash correctly in the gearbox / shaft assembly. I used Mobil 1 0W-30 oil which worked well (really thin).

The only other thing is to keep an eye out for a set of step pulleys to allow you to change speeds. I had one in the past and it ran like a sewing machine with no vibration. You can't beat them.

For a copy of the owners manual, go to (www.owwm.com):

http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Delta/...eScrollSaw.pdf
    http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Delta/...4ScrollSaw.pdf

Dan Boschen
    Amarillo, TX

Jim - keep it or sell it but don't junk it. Mine is used frequently when I don't want to change bandsaw blades to make a 1/8" cut. It sits on a table that shares space with a grinder and another tool located on a third corner - not a huge space scronge.

That lamp will, itself, sell for about $40 on ebay. Also the belt guard that is missing is available often on ebay for about $25. Many ebay sellers part out an unwanted unit and have little trouble selling the individual parts.

Finally, where else will you find a 24" scroll saw today? I sold one last year -restored for $400.

In my book you are a lucky fella - enjoy it.