Thread: How often do you wax

How often do you wax

After having all of my tools in the damp basement for 3 years and getting them all cleaned up I applied Johnson's Paste Wax to all the bare metal. Really like how easily things slide on the tops now. My question is how often do you re-apply the wax?

Thanks for the advice.

Dean

About twice a year for me...sooner if I work with a lot of wet wood on a tool, such as cutting turning blanks at the bandsaw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim,
    What do you use?
    I'm trying to get an idea about how long the wax should last.

Dean

Hi,
    I am near the beach so I have a special problem. I have been using" TOP coat, 3 times a year on machinery . Paste wax on planes and I keep them in a drawer. If I display them...I'll get pitted surface
    Mark
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

now that my shop is heated once a year,,,,,
    Mike

Dean,
    I live on an island so I use a dehumidifier all year round. It has pretty much eliminated the need for waxing to prevent rust. I still do it but not on a schedule.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

As everyone has said, I think it needs to be done just before it needs it. That sounds kind of "trite", but it is really true. It varies with conditions. When I first started working with wood, I did it about once a month. I gradually decreased as I saw that rust wasn't developing. I most wax now when things start to feel kind of "draggy" on the tables. I usually use TopCote now for the convenience, but Johnson's works well too.

David

Blog Entries
    I use Johnson's paste wax and do my table surfaces maybe 3-4 times per year, usually when I notice things are dragging a bit on the jointer, then I do the jointer, planer, drill press and table saw as long as I have the wax out.

I tried Boeshield T-9, but didn't like the stickiness that seems to develop if you don't get it all rubbed off.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

That is a difficult thing to judge. It really depends on the relative humidity and temperature swings you get. In the springtime here I can open the door to my shop (steel bldg) and my truck can look like I left it outside in the dew. I know then to go start waxing after bringing the temperature up some. The concrete floor in my shop doesn't have a moisture barrier and the floor can even sweat! I usually get by with 4 or 5 times a year. It will go all summer without needing it (May to Oct here). I was in shorts day before yesterday and it is 25 this morning, but dry. So I am still OK right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Baumgartner
    After having all of my tools in the damp basement for 3 years and getting them all cleaned up I applied Johnson's Paste Wax to all the bare metal. Really like how easily things slide on the tops now. My question is how often do you re-apply the wax?

Thanks for the advice.

Dean
    Dean,
    As an Army Veteran let me give you a military answer. AS OFTEN AS NEEDED.
    I find Topcoat works best for me.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 01-07-2004 at 7:10 AM. Reason: fixed quote coding
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like the best idea is a couple of times a year and more often if that nice slick feeling goes away.

I also think that if I'm doing one I might as well hit all at once.

Dean