Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was I being an @@@

Was I being an @@@

I was on the auction site looking at lathes and someone has listed a "full lathe shop" What it is, is the real cheap lathe that harbor freight sales that doesn't even have a MT on the headstock to put a center in. Next some 30 dollar HF lathe chisels, and finally he was adding to sets of what look like HF carving chisels. He did build a stand that was included. But whatt cheesed me off was the line he added about having a line that read $1500 hundred Retail. I think maybe $250. There are already bids on it. But I emailed him and told him he was decieving people with the $1500 part and he shuold change it. Someone might think they are getting a good lathe and end up with that.

He Emailed me back and basicaly said I was an a@@ and stay out of his buiness.

Was I?
    Last edited by Bob Hallowell; 05-26-2007 at 2:25 PM.

Absolutly not. I think you've done your good deed for the day. The sad part is that those who are bidding probably wont know any better untill it to late.

Blog Entries
    You did just fine. I hate crooks. I've always tried to give people more than they expect. That way you'll never make enemies. That guy's going to pay the price someday.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Bob, sounds like someone needs to be. I guess you could have posted a comment on the bid site that contained links to all the retail prices of what he had listed. THAT would have cheesed him off even more. Cheaters HATE to get caught at it.

No Way. Good deal Bob. I e-mailed him and asked him about it also. He claims the lathe is worth at least a $1000. I told him it was worth probably $100 as it sold for about $140 new. He also told me I was a A@@hole and to shut my mouth. I e-mailed him back and said look who is calling the kettle black. I hate guys like that. Someone is going to get took.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 05-26-2007 at 4:09 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bob, you can post A NEGATIVE COMMENT at the site.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Blog Entries
    Isn't there somewhere in E-Bay you can report fraud?
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Isn't there somewhere in E-Bay you can report fraud?
    And if there is, you SHOULD report it. This guy is trying to rip someone off for big bucks in exchange for trash!!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I delete the email responses,
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob Hallowell; 05-27-2007 at 1:19 AM.

10. I just tried to report a fraudulent listing, but it didn't work, I don't think. FWIW the tool set looks better than HF, but that doesn't make up the $1,000+ discrepancy! I'm hesitant to post it as a comment on the page since you never know if they'll go after you...

It may be a buyer beware world, but the guy lied when he said it cost that much.
    Last edited by Stephen Hibbs; 05-26-2007 at 6:08 PM.
    "Irresponsibility-
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood." - despair.com

Bob, good for you !! That same lathe except with a 14" swing can be had there for $55.00 using buy it now. There is another guy that sells Windsor Design tools there for a high price. They are the same tools sold by PSI for like $40.00. Unfortunately it is a "Buyer Beware World". I don't know what can be done to stop this type of crap!
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Nope Bob, from what I can see, the seller is the @@@. I realize its a buyer beware world, but unless I'm missing something, his auction is just dishonest.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Just had to do it-----I am only a couple hours south of this jerk.
    Just sent him a email and asked if I could inspect his $1500.00 lathe.
    I made a big point of the make sure it's $1500.00 before I drive up and look at it.
    I also told him that it better not be junk or I was going to be more than unhappy with gas prices over $3.00 per.
    Lets see what he says.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I agree with all of you that this guy is a big Richard, but who would be stupid enough to fall for it? This is the information age is it not?
    I almost feel like who ever buys it, deserves it. If noting else, they will be learning a lesson. Research before you buy!
    I have been to many live auctions and witness people paying more than retail for something that is 10 years old and in disrepair.

I'm not a lathe type of guy so I don't know what to search for to get to the page but...........

If you click on the "Ask the seller a question" button you will be taken to a page where you can ask the selller your question (go figure ). Anyway, on that page there will be a check box asking you if you want the question and response to be listed on the auction page.

This would allow you to "ask" a question, and have it show up on the page, revealing the true value of the lathe...............IIRC, the question will show up even before he answers (and even if he doesn't).

just a thought...................
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.