Thread: Bosch - Class Action Settlement

Bosch - Class Action Settlement

Yesterday I received a card in the mail from RBTC Settlement Administrator informing me I may be entitled to a $10. settlement since I purchased certain Bosch tools between Sept. 7, 2001 and Dec. 31, 2006. (Actually I had bought several Bosch tools during this time.) This class action suit was noted as Cohen v. Robert Bosch Tool Co. Did anyone else receive this notification and is this really true? Thanks.
    Kev

Yes and don't know..

I got that card also. It probably is true. The complaint seems to be that some of the tools Bosch said were made in the USA actually weren't. So somebody got a class-action suit going. It could have been a legal firm that initiated it. The lawyers usually get a huge chunk of the money in these deals. Since working for a million clients usually involves no more effort than working for ten clients, the gain for the lawyers is tremendous for the amount of work done. I notice that we consumers are each in line for a $10 settlement, which seems to be the going rate in these deals. That's what I got last year for something--I don't even remember what. I'm also waiting for my ten dollars from an Ameriprise financial suit. Apparently they didn't disclose some nearly irrelevant fact to their investors. Again, somebody is going to make a ton of money, but it isn't us regular people.

No notices here. Have bought several drills

Ditto Paul Douglas.

My guess is folks who registered they tools are notified. Since I never register my tools notification is not expected nor IMO worth it.
    How many times must I redo it to get it correct??

7. I got that same letter, I own a Skil Circular Saw and Jigsaw. I was told I was entitle to $10.00. That aint nothing. it when in the trash.

I got the same letter. I think it said the lawyers could get as much as 25% of the settlement - but that's just from memory and could be wrong. I threw the card away.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I just got my notification yesterday.

By the way, here is the official press release from the businesswire:

The Law Firm of Blumenthal & Nordrehaug Announces a Proposed Class Action Settlement Regarding Robert Bosch Tool Corporation

LA JOLLA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Law firm of Blumenthal & Nordrehaug announces a Proposed Class Action Settlement regarding Robert Bosch Tool Corporation.
    NOTICE OF PROPOSED CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT
    THIS NOTICE ADVISES YOU OF A PROPOSED CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT WITH ROBERT BOSCH TOOL CORPORATION. THIS NOTICE MAY AFFECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS. PLEASE READ IT CAREFULLY. SUMMARY NOTICE
    The Parties have agreed on a proposed class action settlement of certain claims against Robert Bosch Tool Corporation (“RBTC”). The settlement will resolve a suit filed in San Diego County Superior Court, in which plaintiff claims that RBTC mislabeled certain Products as listed in the Detailed Notice as “Made in the U.S.A.” between September 7, 2001 through December 31, 2006 (the “Class Period”). If you purchased an RBTC Product during the Class Period labeled “Made in the U.S.A.” you may be a member of the class and entitled to either a $10.00 voucher or a payment of $10.00 cash through your choice of either cash or a voucher for each Product you purchased during the Class Period if you timely submit a claim form. The Products are listed in the Detailed Notice. Each $10.00 voucher is not transferable, not stackable and can be redeemed after the purchase of an RBTC product. The voucher will expire one (1) year from the date of issuance.
    The full text of the Summary Notice of Proposed Class Settlement (the “Notice”), which explains in detail the settlement terms, appears at www.rbtcsettlement.com, www.nblaw.org, and www.bamlawca.com or call the toll free number at 1-800-250-9368 which provides the Summary Notice in both English and Spanish. A copy of the Detailed Notice can also be obtained by writing the Claims Administrator at RBTC Settlement Administrator, c/o Gilardi & Co. LLC, P O Box 8060, San Rafael, CA, 94912-8060.
    The Settlement enjoins RBTC from the alleged inappropriate use of the label “Made in the U.S.A.” and establishes a Settlement Fund of Five Million Dollars to pay for all claims, the cost of notice and claims administration, and twenty-five percent of the Settlement Fund to pay attorneys’ fees and expenses of Class Counsel. Any unpaid residual will be used to further the purposes of the underlying causes of action as set forth in the Detailed Notice and approved by the Court.
    If you want to make a claim, you can download the claim form at www.rbtcsettlement.com, or at www.nblaw.org. or at www.bamlawca.com or can write the Claims Administrator to request a claim form at RBTC Settlement Administrator, c/o Gilardi & Co. LLC, P O Box 8060, San Rafael, CA 94912-8060 or by calling 1-800-250-9368.
    YOU MUST RETURN A SIGNED AND COMPLETED CLAIM FORM BY JULY 20, 2007 TO BE ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE ANY PAYMENT UNDER THE SETTLEMENT. IF YOU FAIL TO TIMELY SUBMIT A VALID CLAIM FORM, YOU WILL STILL BE BOUND BY THE JUDGMENT, BUT WILL NOT BE PAID.
    IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE PART OF THIS CASE, you may exclude yourself. To do so, you must mail a request to “OPT OUT,” postmarked no later than July 5, 2007. The request must state: “I want to opt out of the RBTC Class Action.” Mail it to: RBTC Settlement Administrator, c/o Gilardi & Co. LLC, P O Box 8060, San Rafael, CA, 94912-8060. A hearing will be conducted on whether to finally approve the Settlement on August 3, 2007 at 1:30 p.m. in Department 75 of the San Diego County Superior Court, 330 West Broadway, San Diego, California 92101. You can object to the Settlement and/or fee and cost request in advance of that hearing by following the procedure set forth in the Detailed Notice. DO NOT TELEPHONE THE COURT OR THE CLERK OF THE COURT.
    FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CALL 1-800-250-9368 SE HABLA ESPANOL POR 1-800-250-9368 Cohen v. Robert Bosch Tool Company, San Diego County, No. GIC 85356

Don't you just love class action settlements where you have to buy more from the "offending" firm to get your settlement...and the folks who put it all together for the courts get cash?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I think the whole tort deal is such a waste of the courts time and puts the bulk of the money in the lawyers pockets anyway so I avoid participating.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I received one also and will most likely send it in. Hey, $10 is $10. If I found it laying on the sidewalk I would most likely pick it up. I do wonder what "Any unpaid residual will be used to further the purposes of the underlying causes of action as set forth in the Detailed Notice and approved by the Court. " means. Does that mean that if all the folks who could don't send their card to get their money the balance will be divided up between those who do? If so, I hope all of you throw away your cards. Any lawyers out there that can explain?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Registered several tools.

Have not gotten the letter in the mail.

Will not participate in the suit.

Paperwork to be filed accordingly.

Chuck