Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homage to Curt Schilling - PICS

Homage to Curt Schilling - PICS

Let me first state that I AM NOT A RED SOX FAN.

Having said that, I started out this fine holiday weekend intending to build out my side of the master walkin closet. In short order, I had finished the cutting down the first two sheets of melamine into finished sizes. I dragged the third out onto one of my mobile workbenches. I measured, marked and clamped my trusty strait edge (4' level) accross the width of the sheet. I manuvered my second mobile workbench under the cutoff side of the melamine to support it and hold it when the cut was complete.

Mind you, this is the same method I always use. Evidently, I either didn't have it under far enough or I pushed the main one away from the second one while making the cut, but when the cut was completed, the cutoff - complete with strait edge and clamps fell directly onto my big toe.

After hopping around and saying a few choice words that cannot be broadcast over terrestrial radio, I finally sat down and pulled the shoe off. What I found was one bloody sock (hence, the Curt Schilling reference).

I thought I'd be sitting out for about a half hour and get back to it, but at this point, I'd be surprised to get back out there at all this weekend. Perhapse I'll shop the Internet for some new steel toed shoes. Anyone have any recommendations?

Hope your weekend plans go better than mine!

- John

For the pic police:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tomorrow, heat up a big needle and burn a hole through the top of your toenail. It will relieve the pressure by draining off the blood underneath. It should be bearable then for shop work.

BTW, I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Nice toe picture. As for a recommendation, I'd say paying attention trumps protective gear, but maybe thats just me. No offense, but sometimes, stuff happens, and next time you're not paying attention, that cutoff will fall on the middle of your foot, cleanly missing the steel protection. If you've got to wear steel toed boots/shoes in your shop while woodworking, you're going about your business all wrong. I'm not saying wear flipflops, but your average sturdy leather shoe should be enough.
    That said, sorry about your toe. And for future reference, posting gross pictures of low level injuries will almost always garner a form of smart-aleck response from me. p.s. Hilarious post, Cody, and ditto on the relieving pressure technique, and say your last rites for that toenail, its likely a goner.

Ouch! I know that hurts like the dickens. LOML has some magic potion called "AC Cream" and it really stops the pain and speeds the healing. Don't know where she gets it, but check around.

I hate wrestling plywood and melamine around, so several years ago I glued up a sacrificial table and have it atop an old table, ready whenever I need it. I also purchased the EZ Smart Guide System and it has been one of my most used purchases. MUCH safer than a table saw, and the accuracy and cut quality can't be beat.

OUCH.

See a doctor. DIY toe drilling isn't something I'd recommend...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey,
    What the heck is wrong with sandles/flip flops in the shop???? BTW sorry about the toe..

Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Jensen View Post
    As for a recommendation, I'd say paying attention trumps protective gear, but maybe thats just me. No offense, but sometimes, stuff happens, and next time you're not paying attention, that cutoff will fall on the middle of your foot, cleanly missing the steel protection. If you've got to wear steel toed boots/shoes in your shop while woodworking, you're going about your business all wrong. I'm not saying wear flipflops, but your average sturdy leather shoe should be enough.
    ....and say your last rites for that toenail, its likely a goner.
    Todd,

You're right about two things; first I needed to pay more attention, and second I kissed my toe goodbye before I even saw it.

I was really just poking fun at myself regarding the steel toed boots.

- John

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    Tomorrow, heat up a big needle and burn a hole through the top of your toenail. It will relieve the pressure by draining off the blood underneath. It should be bearable then for shop work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Jensen View Post
    ditto on the relieving pressure technique, and say your last rites for that toenail, its likely a goner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    See a doctor. DIY toe drilling isn't something I'd recommend...
    I don't see me doing it myself. Would a doctor visit really be worthwhile?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    OUCH.

DIY toe drilling isn't something I'd recommend...
    Not even if you've got a swell drill press standing by?

Just thinking out loud here...

I wonder if I can parlay this into justification for buying a Sawstop?

- John

Quote Originally Posted by John Hulett View Post
    I wonder if I can parlay this into justification for buying a Sawstop?
    "Honey, this wouldn't have happened if I had a euro Slider. Grizzly has one on sale for only 15,995.00"

Really, I'd go for it. I don't see this going south for you at all. Roses all the way.

Jim

Heat a large paper clip to red hot and burn a hole into the nail. It will hurt for a second and then R E L I E F

I've done it a few times since the ER doctor showed me how.... No kidding.

Ok, I have to do it....... I shouldn't but I just feel I have to ask the question...

Did you call a tow truck ?

I agree, go have a Dr. look at it....

You can go see a doctor if it would make you feel better, but when had a similar accident (dropping something heavy on my big toe that is) I went to the doctor and they did used what looked like a soldering iron to melt a hole in the toe nail. The pressure was high enough that when it went through, the blood squirted all the way to the ceiling.

It felt better for the rest of the night, but the next day the pressure was building back up again, the hole had scabbed over from the inside and sealed itself back up. This time I melted my own hole in it and it worked just fine. I remember when I was young, my father actually used a twist drill to drill a hole in my thumb nail. He held a very fine drill bit between his fingers and simply spun it back and forth while applying very light pressure to the nail. After about a minute it poked through.

Sorry to hear about the toe, I know they really do hurt more than they have any right to.

Brian Walter

Quote Originally Posted by John Hulett View Post
    I don't see me doing it myself. Would a doctor visit really be worthwhile?
    It doesn't hurt and it won't hurt any less at the Doctor's office. Clean a needle with alcohol, heat it up and gently insert. It goes in easily. If you do it quickly you might save the nail. In my experience if you wait you will most likely lose the nail.

Greg