Thread: Portable sawmill owners

Portable sawmill owners

My son's F-I-L has had this setting in his back yard for the last couple of years. I asked him if he was planning on getting it back in working order or just letting it ruin. His reply was one of these days, maybe. I then asked him if he would be interested in selling it. His reply was no, but if I wanted to take it and play around with it, I could have it. Needless to say, I couldn't get it loaded fast enough. It has a 9 hp Honda motor on it, which I have removed to get it in running order. I put some gas in it and pulled the rope a couple of times and it fired up but it needs tuning up and carb. rebuild kit. There are no indication as to brand on it so I have no idea who made it. A guy at work said I had to break the blade and lay it out flat to get the length of blade I would need. It is 143 1/2 in. long and 1 1/4 in wide and 1 tooth per inch. If there are any sawmill owners around, I would appreciate any advice or ideas on how to find out what kind of saw it is.

It may be more work than it's worth, but the price, FREE, was just too good to pass up.

Bobby
    Louisiana
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a Norwood to me....

http://www.norwoodindustries.com/

Yup... looks like one of the small Norwood mills and seems to be in pretty good condition. They are a good little mill. Well worth the effort to get it going again, they are about $3,500 to buy a new one like that! Give it a good going over, may need replacement blade guides, bearings, drive belt and things like that, but they are basically 'wear' parts that need regular replacement anyway.

There are a lot of different bands available, it's not just the length, but also the pitch, set and tooth angle. Different configurations work better in different woods. Standard off the shelf blades from Norwood will be pretty good general purpose ones and get you going.

Welcome to the sawmill owners club, plenty to learn when you are starting out, but it's a heap of fun

Cheers

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Abraham View Post
    they are about $3,500 to buy a new one like that!
    A bit more these days, Ian...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Millings a blast. Here are a couple links for you. Your mill looks like a lumber Mate by Norwood!

http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

http://lumberworks.jconserv.net/index.php

Thanks for the help and information fellows, they are greatly appreciated. I have sent an e-mail to Norwood to get there opinion and will keep y'all posted. They also list a dealer a couple hours drive from where I live, so if its a Norwood that would be nice, but probably not from the wife's point of view, since she says I spend too much on my toys anyway.

Bobby
    Louisiana