Thread: Grandfather clock case questions...

Question Grandfather clock case questions...

Greetings,

I’ve been commissioned to make a case for a HERMLE triple chime cable driven clock kit.

The installation instructions are vague at best, sigh..

My plan is to make a three quarter inch back frame with three eights inch removable panels to facilitate adjusting the chime rod hammers but I wonder if using a sound board is actually an improvement in sound over simply mounting them directly on the back frame. And if I use a sound board how do you adjust the rod hammers? The side panels are non removable glass.

I also plan on having the case “sit” on a separate plywood base with adjustable feet; the bottom moulding will cover the base.

The footprint of the cabinet is roughly twelve inches deep by twenty two inches wide and a height of almost seventy inches, I would think a safety cable attached to the wall would be a good idea???

Anything else I should be aware of?

TIA, Don.
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

If the movement strikes on rods and not tubes, most manufacturers mount the rods to the back of the clock which then acts as a sound board. Use of a sound board definitely enhances the sound. Then, to get access to the movement and hammers, doors are put on the side of the clock. If glass, they are sometimes installed in lift out panels. Some have holes drilled through the middle of the glass with knobs installed to facilitate lift out. Others have the glass fastened to scroll sawn panels. The safety cable is a good idea but generally isn't necessary. Levelling feet are a very important feature. If the clock is installed on a carpeted floor, the back feet rest on the tack strip and the front feet then must be put down a little further to level the clock.