Thread: Dust Frames

Dust Frames

I am currently in the assembly stages of building a dresser / changing table. I have not throught too much about the drawers just yet but think it is time to think about how to put everything together. I have seen Norm make dust frames which are just basically rails and stiles at the bottom of each drawer (which go inside and are not seen) and then on the top put a few runners so that the drawers will not bind coming out. I read online somewhere that a dust frame actually has a piece of 1/4" ply or hardboard etc within the rails and stiles so that the dust from one drawer will not get into the drawer below. Is this correct? What is the typical practice right now? I have some left over 1/2" ply that I can use should I make a dust frame approx 2-3" wide to go on the bottom of the drawers or should I just make runners. I was originally thinking of not using any specific hardware or drawer slides. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Greg

Yes, technically, to be a "dust frame", the panel needs to be inserted between the frame's rails and stiles to help prevent, well...dust migration...within the cabinet. If you are building the frames primarily for structural support, you can leave the panels out if you choose.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I make all mine with dust frames....just leave out the 1/4" ply in them. It adds structure to the piece as well as helping to keep the piece light. Personally, I prefer my pieces to have slides in them. I made a couple that just rode on the bottom of the drawer. After a couple of years use, we can't stand to operate those drawers. Now, I've got to re-make 2 nightstands for the master bedroom.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I heard Norm explaining once that modern dust frames were mainly structural since homes are largely dust free as compared to colonial dwellings. Dust inside dresser drawers isn't a problem in the modern air conditioned home.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    I heard Norm explaining once that modern dust frames were mainly structural since homes are largely dust free as compared to colonial dwellings. Dust inside dresser drawers isn't a problem in the modern air conditioned home.
    But then again some of us don't have that kind of modern home, and have 3 dogs and 5 cats and enough humans that it might matter. That Ellie Mae and her pets ...

- Jed

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    I make all mine with dust frames....just leave out the 1/4" ply in them. It adds structure to the piece as well as helping to keep the piece light. Personally, I prefer my pieces to have slides in them. I made a couple that just rode on the bottom of the drawer. After a couple of years use, we can't stand to operate those drawers. Now, I've got to re-make 2 nightstands for the master bedroom.
    Dennis, Lube the drawer runners with parafin wax (look in the canning dept. at the grocery store). Your drawers, without slides, will glide smoothly. I have never used a drawer slide, just parafin. We rewax about every three to five years.

Regarding dust panels, it is the traditional way and is consistent with "fine furniture" today. Or at lease according to my Wood Technology Prof. (in 1970)