Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jorgensen or Bessey

Jorgensen or Bessey

I am going to get some clamps and I am not sure which to get.

I have looked at both and really don't see much difference in them at all.

So what are your opinions on them.

Bessey K body
    Jorgensen Cabinet Master

Right now I have 8 Jorgensen 3700 bar clamps but I would to go to the cabinet type clamp.

Now the wife statement was "How many clamps do you need anyway" ever heard that before.

I'm kind of partial to the Gross Stabils
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hi...oss+stabil+pc2
    I compared them to the Bessey's when I bought my first ones and liked them a little better but haven't looked over the Jorgensons to see how they compare.
    Use the fence Luke

I recently bought the Bessey cabinet set for some drawers...they are a world apart from the pipe clamps I had been using. The dovetailed drawers clamp perfectly square the first time every time. I don't have to fiddle with the clamps to get the drawer square as I did with the harbour freight bar clamps I started with. The panel glue-ups are a dream now. The boards just pull together without bowing at all. A couple of strokes the the scraper and done. I will buy more for my next project.

Bill,

I have a bunch of Bessey clamps and like them a lot. You might also want to condider the Jet version. I've read a lot of good things recently about them and if I was starting out I'd probably get them.

~mark

I am assuming you are talking about the parallel jaw clamps. I have used Bessey & Gross Stabil clamps for years and they are both fine clamps. There are features about each that I liked quite a bit and felt if I could take the best from each, I would end up with an outstanding clamp. Recently, I purchased the Jet clamps and honestly, they created the very clamp I would have designed with the Bessey & Gross Stabil features. They even added a few nice touches that I hadn't even thought of. Only time will tell but, Jet hit a home run with these clamps and if I had to add more, they would be my choice. I don't have any experience with the Jorgenson parallel jaw clamps so cannot offer any input on these.
    Steve

Check out All Pro Tools. Their prices on Gross-Stabil beat the pants off Amazon.
    Best Regards, Ken

I have 24 Jorgy's and 76 Bessey which should tell you which ones I prefer. The Bessey K-bodys are not as bulky as the CM's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Vega View Post
    I have 24 Jorgy's and 76 Bessey which should tell you which ones I prefer. The Bessey K-bodys are not as bulky as the CM's.
    I agree with Gilbert. I have 12 Cabinet Masters and 18 Besseys and I like the Besseys better due to the fact that they are not as heavy as the CMs and do the same job. The CMs are bullet proof though. I can see that I have some catching up to do to get anywhere near Gilbert.

Blog Entries
    I purchased a total of 20 Jorgensen Cabinet Master's about 3 months ago, got them home and took every one of them back. They were too bulky compared to the Besseys I have.

I recently started purchasing the Jet Clamps and have been very happy with them. While they are more bulky than the Bessey's, their features more than make up for the bulkiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Vega View Post

100 parallel jaw clamps? Gilbert are you getting close to the thing that must not be named - having enough clamps?

I've got Besseys. That said, I think Besseys, Jorgies or Gross Stabils will do you fine. In my opinion, the Jet clamps have bigger grooves in the bar, making them a bit more limited as to how fine you can adjust them when clamping.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

have a look at these heard good things about them.
    http://www.woodworkersshop.com/Jet_Parallel_Clamps.htm

I have the Bessey K-Body clamps and love them. I'd not refuse either the Jorgies or the GS version if they magically appeared, but I tend to like to keep my clamps consistent so I don't have any issues using them together. That's not a reflection on the quality or value of any of them...I just had Bessey first and that's where I've stayed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm with mark and ryan on this I Have used besseys in the past never used the CM's but I have Jet's and prefer them over the besseys.
    larry

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    100 parallel jaw clamps? Gilbert are you getting close to the thing that must not be named - having enough clamps?
    I just buy them when there is a good sale, like the one a week ago when Amazon had the 24/40" set for $93. The LOML doesn't even ask (anymore) why I need more clamps. She just asks where I'm going to put them. Gotta love her!!

I too have mostly Besseys. But a couple of months ago, Rocklers was selling 4 Jets (2-24's, and 2-48's) plus the cross pads for 99.00. Jets are a little more bulky...but they are great!
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.