Thread: Delta 17-950L for $289.99 at Lowes

Delta 17-950L for $289.99 at Lowes

So, I stop in Lowes today for screws. Really that is all. I wander on over and take a look at the tools on my way to checkout and I see that the 17-950L has a in store instant savings of $40 bucks at the register thru the end of the month.

So I am tempted it seems like really good price and I have seen several positive comments here about it.

Based on price I was looking at the Rigid for $279. I figured with that I would need to buy or build a better table. For $10 more I think the Delta is the way to go. Nice table so no need to replace. Also the Delta has great quill travel at 3 7/8 inches. 1/2 hp.

The Rigid is 3 3/4 inch travel and also 1/2hp.

Which would you buy and why?

Delta, for the reasons you stated, and I like that table!

I paid about $350 or so for my 17-950L at Lowes. I would probably buy again at that price and instantly pull the trigger at the price you're finding. Nice drill press, very similar build and materials to most of the other brands I've seen. I chose Delta because of the oversize table.

I bought that very drill press at Lowe's a few weeks ago because I happen to see the "$40 Off" tag lying on the floor next to it. I too had just looked at the Ridgid model and was going to buy that. Just for giggles, I went to Lowe's and ended up getting the Delta for very close to the same price. I think it was a pretty good deal. FYI, the two Lowe's stores near me were out of stock on that drill. I had to go to the other side of town and I bought the last one they had in stock. I don't know if they'll sell you the floor model.

I haven't used the DP much yet, but it seems to be a very nice tool. The laser thing actually looks to be useful and not just a gimmick, as I had expected.

I was in the market and picked one up at the same price. It wasn't long ago it listed at $369 and then it dropped to $329 a couple weeks ago. I called Lowes to confirm the price and the salesman mentioned the $40 off - sealed the deal! He was very helpful and helped straighten out the register person as the discount wasn't showing up in the checkout computer.

Carl

I'm very happy with my Ridgid for the price-point, but at that price for the Delta I would have had to take a closer look at it.

I'm also a bit biased toward Ridgid tools as I worked at the orange BORG for a bit and managed to accumulate a lot of their Ridgid tools.
    Last edited by Eric Lewis; 05-29-2007 at 9:58 PM. Reason: typo

I paid $369 for the same Delta at Lowes and I think you would be happy with it. The table is awesome.

Blog Entries
    I bought the Delta with the now legendary HD 20% off coupon. Along with some fenagling by the LOML and Lowes 15% off sale I got it for just about that and am very happy.

See thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57448 and http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57826 although the table isn't really necessary. I just have developed a method of work that makes it nice for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Oresick View Post
    He was very helpful and helped straighten out the register person as the discount wasn't showing up in the checkout computer.

Carl
    I had the same experience even though the tag said, "$40 will taken off the price at the register. Not. No big deal. After manager intervention, I did get the $40 off.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...684#post593684

Just posted my gloat on buying one on Sunday at discount, 10% mil discount also, and then even more off...