• Woodworker's Journal

1 0.30%
  • Woodworking

12 3.64%
  • Other

7 2.12%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Woodworking Magazine, take 2

I voted for FWW. But, PWW is close enough that it is a difficult call. Their new found slant toward handtools is a good break from the repetitive content in the other mags. The PWW blogs are pretty interesting also. I think what sets FWW above the others for me is the joinery in their projects. They don't dumb down all their projects to use biscuits. Their tool reviews are a mixed bag though.
    I think Wood "hits" on 1 of 3 issues. I've thought about dropping it, but they always seem to offer up a great deal so I stay. I find I buy it every now and then for their better than average tool reviews anyway.
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter View Post
    I think Wood "hits" on 1 of 3 issues. I've thought about dropping it, but they always seem to offer up a great deal so I stay.
    That's funny. I said almost exactly the same thing to my brother in an email about a week ago. It was so similiar I looked it up in my outbox:

"...But I guess you get what you pay for. At $28 for 3 years of 7 issues per year, it is only $1.33 per issue. That is why I keep subscribing. If only 1 out of 4 issues is worth anything, it is still no more money than buying them on the news stand...

I have subscribed to FWW and Shopnotes for probably 7 years each. I tried Wood and Woodsmith when I got good subscription deals, but I let the subscriptions lapse. I determined I don't like plans with measured drawings, since much of the furniture in Wood and Woodsmith was basically boring with few new ideas. I usually like the finished products in FWW, even if they are not my current design preference. With Shopnotes I usually get something out of each magazine to improve the functionality of my shop. I have looked at others and even bought a few on ocaision, but for the most part they didn't peak my interest or offer anything new.

Mike

It is hard to choose just 1 magazine (I did vote for Woodsmith). I do have subscriptions to Wood, Shopnotes,
    Woodsmith, Popular Woodworking and Workbench(which I will let run out because as others have said it has
    become too much of a home improvement magazine and not what I am looking for). I all so buy FWW when
    the cover interests me. I enjoy reading all these magazines. I have saved all my old issues. Wood I feel is a
    general woodworking magazine. Shopnotes is great for jigs and such and I just plain enjoy Woodsmith and
    Popular Woodworking. I even saved my old issues of Woodworkers Journal even though I don't receive them
    anymore.
    Lori K

Thats true

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    I"m with you on this one about WOOD but alot of magazine snobs like to say that they "out-grew" it.
    Gary K.
    While i did not vote for it "Wood" has allways been a given that I subscribe to it. For probably 15 years now...
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

I voted for WOOD because it's the only one to which my subscription hasn't expired. I've now started just buying off the stand when I see something tht catches my eye. Gumball machines are not high on my list of projects to build.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

For me, this is a choice between FWW and Wood. I do have a complete set of Wood from inception in 1984, as well as the complete set of Wood's Weekend Woodworker. Both sets in pristine condition. When the timing is right I will sell them all, but it is difficult to cancel after all these years. I still build projects from some of the early issues.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    Gumball machines are not high on my list of projects to build.
    Oh, come on, everybody needs a gumball machine, another miter sled, a sandpaper storage cabinet, and a drop-down finish-drying rack!

Hey, what kind of poll is this?????????????

How could you leave off American Popular Fine WoodShop Journal????????????

Come on....wake up will ya????????

Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Smile Magazines

I get Shopnotes, Woodsmith & Wood. I like all three, but if pressed to pick just one, it would definitely be Wood. FWW and PW are also OK, but for my money Wood is the best all around and I virtually always use at least one of the projects in every issue.

My .02 worth!

Larry

Favorite Woodworking Magazine, take 2

I subscribe to Pop Woodworking, ShopNotes and Workbench. While Workbench has some good articles on jigs, etc. it is aimed more at home workshop than at woodworking. ShopNotes is the one subscription I would continue if I could only have one but Pop WW is a very good magazine as well.

JimC

Favorite woodworking magazine, take 2

Close but Popular Woodworking gets my vote because, in my opinion, it does the best job of balancing usage of both power and hand tools and also in the projects it presents. Plus, it has an excellent blog and e-zine.

I agree with Frank - and not just because we're neighbors. PWW has lots of good stuff for my knuckle dragging side thanks to Chris Shwarz and others.

... i'd forgotten about that ... My new rank is:

1. PWW
    2. Shopnotes
    3. FWW

4 & 5: WOOD or American Woodworker.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I really like FWW and popular woodworking, but Woodworking Magazine is my new favorite. I really like the fact that there is no advertising. They also seem to have several hand tool articles in each issue which I enjoy. The downside, is no subscriptions yet and only a couple issues a year.

JOnathan

"I left Earth three times. I found no place else to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth." -- Wally Schirra, who flew around Earth on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s.

I like FWW and have for years. I used to subscribe to Wood but I aspired to do better woodworking and dropped it because I found no value in too many issues.

My woodworking hasn't improved but I'm reading a better magazine.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7