Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Borg Jet and Wilton - Did I miss something?

Blue Borg Jet and Wilton - Did I miss something?

I was just researching another post about the Delta 17-950L drill press being on sale at the blue borg and noticed Jet and Wilton machinery on their web site.

The prices suck, but this worries me. I don't want the local wood working stores to go under like the old local hardware and lumber yards I used to love so much. I fear that one day we'll all be forced to buy exactly the same products from places like the borgs and wallmart.

When did they start selling that stuff there?
    The day you think you know everything will be very same day you stop learning.

Blog Entries
    I can't speak about Jet, but Wilton Vises have been available at the Lowe's by us ever since they opened their doors, which was about 2 years ago.

I know what you mean before long the only place you will be able to buy anything is is from one of the borgs or Walmart, everything else will have gone out of business.

I noticed that they have some Jet stuff but not a lot at this point.

We don't call 'em "BORG" for nothing...You will be assimilated.

Jet and Delta have sold product through the 'borg for years...generally the lower end of their lines. So-called "home shop" machinery. WWH and other local stores don't necessarily cater to the same audience for stationary equipment. However, local independents don't do as much business in the hand-held electric tool area due to both the 'borg and online sources as they did years ago. They still carry and sell them, but more as an accommodation. This is one of the reasons that many are picking up Festool and other higher-end products...differentiation.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have noticed that they do sell the lower end stuff like the Delta "Shop Master" line. I was just shocked to see Jet machinery on their web site. I'm not proud of it, but I shop there often (hard to avoid) and am very familiar with their web site and have never seen Jet machinery there.

I suppose you're right, Jim. As long as the locals sell the higher end stuff to differentiate themselves from the common borg, they should be around for a while.

It just worries me. I've seen too many nice towns turn into ghost towns due to "Wallmartization" and I'd hate to lose the few WW stores we have in my area. We already lost the hardware store and lumber yard many years ago due to the borg.

WWH actually received a great boost a number of years ago when Woodcraft closed the Bensalem "company store" when Tom Temple opened up his first Woodcraft franchise in Downingtown. They get good business from New Jersey as well as SE PA. Prior to that, WWH, primarily sold Jet and some PM. After that, they picked up Delta and a few other things as well as getting in more retail lumber. The most recent change was signing on with Festool. They are "the" best local source for the "good stuff" at this point!
    --

What, pray tell, is WWH?

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Sylvan View Post
    What, pray tell, is WWH?
    Sorry, Dick...it's the local store that Jim was referring to earlier...Woodworker's Haven in Southhampton, PA. Excellent place!
    --

Lowes has flirted with the idea of being a full blown woodworking store for quite a while. They even had a Shopsmith for sale there at one time for a very short while. They never seem to make the leap but they can surprise you with what may show up in the store. I try to shop at the smaller independent retailers but sometimes I've been known to make an Amazon purchase. How is that any different?
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I have not done it, but it my understanding(or misunderstanding) from a salespersonal at the local Blue Borg one can now "special order" order any Jet tool (or many other lines) even if they do not carry it.

I do not buy much in the line of tools from the Brogs and Amazon.com as they sell the tool. But, what about service or parts? Non existant!!

Lowe’s and Sears have sold Jet equipment over the years. Never seem to do any good. Face it. If you are Joe homeowner and not a full blown woodworker who is on Sawmillcreek.com. Every night you have no idea who Jet is. A person would be more inclined to buy a saw that said Black and Decker

Just a note about the 17-950L at Lowes... I bought one on Sunday, and I think I got a gloat-worthy deal. I was in there, and noticed the price tag of $329, and thought wow nice. Then since it was Memorial Day weekend, there was a 10% military discount, even better! Then the head tool guy points out a green sticker that says "INSTANT $40 off at the cash register!". The man says both discounts will apply, so I go to buy it. $260.10 should be the price. However, they just have 1, and they mess it up getting it with the forklift. SOOO... they agree to sell me the floor model for $230. We do the paperwork and I pay. THEN, while figuring out how to move it with a forklift, they find another new in box one elsewhere, so they just deliver that one to my car. End of story, I got one for $230 (31%off).

What just struck me, is why am I in here reading the forums, when I should be outside putting it together?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Grill View Post
    It just worries me. I've seen too many nice towns turn into ghost towns due to "Wallmartization" and I'd hate to lose the few WW stores we have in my area. We already lost the hardware store and lumber yard many years ago due to the borg.
    Jim.
    We had Walmart and a 'borg go in about 3-4 years ago a few miles from the house. Strange thing is that the local hardware store, an old fashioned one, has had a significant increase in business. What are they selling? Service.
    I can walk in, and be out in 10 minutes with everything I need. If I forgot to get something, they know to ask. Same for the local electrical supply house. The price is so close, that the time savings tilts the deal for me.

I don't really have a problem with Home Depot, or Lowes selling woodworking machinery. Both stores keep porposing in and out of that market. However, if they are going to sell woodworking machinery. They need to have someone available that knows whats what. Of course, they need to adhere to this principal in most of their departments. It's one of their biggest downfalls outside of the exhorbitant amount of time it takes to actually check out through the register.(Using the cash register as an inventory control mechanism, at the customers expense, really peeves me)

Home Depot targets a market band. if a person falls into this band, it's a very convenient place to do business. I think though that once a persons skill level and awareness increase they begin to shop elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Sorry, Dick...it's the local store that Jim was referring to earlier...Woodworker's Haven in Southhampton, PA. Excellent place!
    I went to WWH for the first time Saturday morning. Very nice people.

I'd rather put my hands on the tools before I buy them. I don't like the idea of special ordering from the borg or amazon.