Thread: Aftermath of recent wood haul

Aftermath of recent wood haul

I was lucky enough to be in on the Sumac wood haul that Mike Vickery posted a few weeks ago.
    This is the aftermath of it in my shop. It was clean before I started, by clean I mean there wasn't shavings all over. The tools were still spread all over though.
    The shavings would have been a lot taller behind the lathe but I kept brushing them aside because they were interfering the banjo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin McPeek View Post
    It was clean before I started,
    Sorry, like all things around here...........no picture??? it didn't happen

Nice pile of mulch though

Hey Kevin

Kevin,

Did you run out of memory card????? Where are the shots of the turnings?????? I know the fun is in the chase but some of us still want to see the outcome as well.

Take care

Jim

That's great!

That's the sign of having fun for sure!!!

Kevin
    Who are you kidding with that whimpy little wastepaper basket. Get a 30 gallon garbage can (with wheels) and a plastic snow shovel and clean that up.
    Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Jim, the pictures wouldn't be very exciting, just a bunch of domes of newspaper for the next few months.

Frank, I have a 32gal can that is out of view here. The wimpy one is for sand paper and paper towels. Although it did get emptied a few times in this process due to being full of shavings.

I can't imagine how bad this would be if all of them weren't cored, and just think, I took the "small stuff" from the haul.
    Kevin

It is amazing how bad it can get so quickly. In general I have just been doing damage control in my shop lately instead of cleaning.

I still think Kevin was just to lazy to carry the big stuff over to his place.
    Mike Vickery

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vickery View Post
    I still think Kevin was just to lazy to carry the big stuff over to his place.
    Well there might be some truth to that. A little more accurate would be, Kevin is too lazy to clean the mess when he roughs something outboard on the lathe. Also, that was before the Stihl so cutting was a lot more of a chore.
    Kevin

Looks like I missed out on a good sized mess to be made. We may have to start a little club for valley turners that keep on the lookout for felled trees.

If past summers are any indication, when the monsoons roll through in July there will be plenty for all. I'm sure we can just post a heads up here.

Brett,
    Martin is right their is plenty of wood to go around if you keep your eyes open.
    Are you a member of the AZ woodturners? If so you should try to hook up with a couple guys in your area, if not consider joining and making some contacts. Kevin and I are way far out at the SE corner of Gilbert, which is quite a hike to Pheonix.
    Mike Vickery

I just want to see the size of that hampster that lives there.

I haven't made it to a meeting yet Mike but it is on the list.
    A few of the guys at work are from down your way. I almost had one of them stop by that Sumac on the way home but it was a little bit of an imposition. I've had some small successes in finding scrap wood and I always have an eye out. Unfortunately my Harley doesn't have that much room for wood, even with the bags. I'll keep looking though.