Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I did it! I won! I won the prize for dumb!

I did it! I won! I won the prize for dumb!

I have been installing 6" PVC dust collection ducts. Being a lightweight I hired a Marine (great source of good strong helpers) to help. We worked up a great routine and became very efficient at cutting pipe with a reciprocating saw. I put the pipe up on an old table (with V blocks) and rotated it. The marine held the reciprocating saw and viola---nice straight cuts.
    So far, so good. He left and then I realized that I forgot the outhouse (what we call shed with dust collector, air compressor, etc.) DC plumbing. I am alone. I can't rotate pipe and handle saw at the same time.
    Got a brilliant idea. Since the remaining sections are fairly small I will set up a support and trim the pipe on my Delta Band saw. The saw had a fine blade in it. It worked really great. However the plastic dust was everywhere (talk about static cling). I dusted. I vacuumed. I brushed. I blew.
    I was talking with my son Glenn. He asked, "Did you check those new tires you just put on the band saw?" I opened Delta and there was a ton more dust. More vacuuming etc. The tires were coated with PVC particles. I scraped and scraped. That left only 25,000 small particles embedded in the tire. I removed these with my fingernails and the back edge of a knife.
    The particle picking only took an hour and a half. Then I had to start on the bottom tire. DUMB! DUMB!
    Now two thoughts---well one question and one suggestion:
    1. Would a coarser blade make less of a mess? Any other suggestions?
    2. Recommendations: If you are going to cut PVC use a reciprocating saw OUTSIDE and have a helper.
    Enjoy,
    Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    So. Calif. 5 miles to ocean

Would a metal chopsaw or a miter saw of worked ? Outside ofcourse lol

Do not use a metal chop saw with a carborundum blade. I purchased a chop saw with one of these blades that had been used this way because it was there and it was only 1 quick cut. WRONG the blade had to be thrown away it was glazed over with PVC & try as I might I couldn't get it to cut steel.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Try a hacksaw, granted it's not going to help you make hundreds of cuts per day, but it will do the job and not gum up the works on your power tools. That's what I use BTW.

Also, you really don't want to use a coarse blade cutting PVC, it will catch on the wall of the pipe at 90 degrees to the cut and it wouldn't be fun if/when it happens.

I don't get it. What mistake did you make? Until the end it sounded like just what I would have done. Not sure about the BS blade but I also recently had an incident with PVC pipe. I had to run some PVC pipe down from a PVC pipe that was exiting from a recently installed HVAC system in our 2nd floor and came out through the siding. The water drip left a mark on the siding and roof tile and LOML didn't like the looks of it so she asked me to make a run of PVC pipe from the exiting pipe right to the gutter. I put up the ladder and usually put a heavy pot up against the ladder to stabilize it, but LOML just put some flowers in that pot and admonished me not to forget and step back on my way down onto the flowers. I figured I just better not do that and just leave the pot where it was and "be careful". On the way down, the ladder slipped out and I spent 10 hrs in the ER confirming I just tore the s__t out of my rotator cuff. Dumb, dumb and there's yours truly, dumber. And did you thank that Marine for his service to his country?

BTW...the recommended saw for PVC is a short, thick saw which I used on my almost completed job. The system is connected, it just has to have the last joint cemented. That's going to have to wait.

When I installed my 6" pvc ducting, I made a "miter box" out of some scrap 1/2" plywood and placed it on a benchtop. The box was about 3' long an just wide enough to place the pvc inside. A quick-grip clamp across the side boards squeezed it enough to keep it from rotating. I cut it with a handsaw.

Now, in case someone misunderstands, I cut the pvc at 90 deg. I didn't miter it.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

You can apply for the prize for dumb if you want, but I don't think you have a chance with this one. You've still got all your body parts and most importantly, it seemed like a perfectly good use of a band saw to me.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    When I installed my 6" pvc ducting, I made a "miter box" out of some scrap 1/2" plywood and placed it on a benchtop. The box was about 3' long an just wide enough to place the pvc inside. A quick-grip clamp across the side boards squeezed it enough to keep it from rotating. I cut it with a handsaw.

Now, in case someone misunderstands, I cut the pvc at 90 deg. I didn't miter it.
    I did the same, except a different type of scrap. A $9 stanley handsaw worked great. Hacksaws were too fine and took a while to get through 6". The blade was also a little on the short side when you get to the middle. The handsaw I used appears to have laser cut teeth that were not too coarse.
    When I made my blast gates and needed small rings, I used my bandsaw and an old dull blade. I did have DC hooked up though and it only took a few minutes with the vac to clean up afterward. I found DC more effective with the PVC than with wood.
    Jay St. Peter

I used my cheapie Ryobi MS. Cut slowly, very slowly, no problems. I did cut some on the TS, but that gets pretty hairy. Did have a couple pieces grab and shatter. Pretty scarey when it happens. I was lucky both times...no imbeded plastic in the fleshy parts. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

11. Could'nt you have posted this on friday. Before I gunked up my band saw!

Now I'm cleaning up my wheels too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    ......hired a Marine (great source of good strong helpers) to help.
    Muscles
    Are
    Required
    Intelligence
    Not
    Essential

Jim and the rest of you that have cut PVC pipe on a band saw, You may be luckier than you think. It's never a good idea to run anything round through the band saw without it being supported so that it can not rotate as it is fed. I know more than one guy that had the piece "MOVE" just a little. The best you can hope for is a bruised ego. Most of the time you will end up at least breaking your best blade.
    Yes I have done it and got by with it several times but it only took once for me to learn my lesson.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Steve

I've had good luck using a keyhole wood saw, cuts though pretty quick and is easy to clean up.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Sometimes ya just gotta laugh Jim,

I cut some Styrofoam on my bandsaw last year not thinking.

The neighbor had 7 4'x8'x4" sheets that he wanted to cut into 2'x4'x1" pieces for insulation for his shop.

I hooked the shopvac up to the bandsaw because we moved it outside my shop and started cutting..

The first thing that I noticed was the lower guides (ceramic) were gumming up. This wasn't to much of a problem. I just stopped cutting for a minute and popped the hard foam off them.

I must say all went well until we took the lid off the shop vac to dump it into a trash can,,,,

It was in early August and when the top jumped off the vac it looked like it had snowed in my whole back yard. It didn't help that the wind was blowing about ten miles an hour...

Need less to say the other neighbors were in shock.

As I look back it was quite funny but what a mess to clean up..

Tom