Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you seen the newest plane design?

Have you seen the newest plane design?

Hi all. I was browsing through woodworkingonline.com when I came across the following blog:

http://www.woodworkingonline.com/?s=blumtool

The hand tool expert that reviewed the new planes gave them very high marks. I went to the website of the guy who created the new design for the planes, and they look great. He also has a new sharpening device that is located here:

http://www.blumtool.com/pages/sharpeningjig.html

I was just curious if anyone out there has actually used or purchased from Blum Tool before. I am really wanting to try out one of his planes, but I was looking for some feedback before I take the plunge.

Any info out there would be great.

Thanks,
    Randy

The products are clever and look practical. Anyone have any direct experience with them?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

He's an active member over at the Woodnet Forums. Someone posted a thread asking about the tools and he swooped in to answer all the questions that were thown at him.
    -Ryan C.

Hi all,

This is my first post here but I did register back in early May so I have been following the threads for a while now. They sure are a great way for woodworkers to share information.

In light of that, I would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have regarding any of my tools. I can understand that people are hesitant to try them because they are definitely different. I am trying to get more reviews and do some videos for the website so they can be seen in action. For anyone who does order, I would just say that satisfaction is gauranteed so there is no risk if you don't like the tool.

Kind Regards,
    Gary Blum

Anyone know what's their claim to fame? In other words, what's better about these planes than traditional Stanley Bailey planes, or low angle planes (like a low angle jack)? There was a note in the review about being able to adjust the "angle of the blade" - is that the frog angle or just a lateral adjustment? It's also possible that there's some locking mechanism on the blade that reducing chatter but there's no description given.

There's nothing on the Blum website (at least nothing I found) that gives anything about the advantages of the design, or any other claims. And the review seems like a typical "tout" review that just says the plane takes "whisper-thin shavings" without giving any reasons why it's better or even what makes it better.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Gary Blum contacted me privately and pointed out that I had missed the page he has on his web site that gives details of how the plane is made and why it's different and better than other plane designs.

I can't post a direct link to it because the web designer used frames but if you look down the main page, you'll see a list titled "products". In that list, choose "Bench Planes" and it'll take you to the page.

It'd be nice if the web designer didn't use frames so that direct links could be given.

Mike

[added note] I don't know what happened. When I was looking at the site before, the URL remained as http://www.blumtool.com no matter where I went on the site, which is a sign of the use of frames in the site. But when I went back just now, I no longer get that. Sorry for the confusion on my part.
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-01-2007 at 5:46 PM. Reason: Added note about the Blum web site
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Ugghhh, this throws me for a loop. I was set on buying a metal plane next weeks pay and now Im all in a tither and dont know what to do.

This is great

Gary,

What would you say the benefit of buying one of your planes is over other planes - in as simple terms as possible? I'm kind of a simple guy.

Thanks for your time,
    Randy

By the way, the direct link to the Blum Tool bench planes site is as follows:

http://www.blumtool.com/pages/benchplanes.html

It should go right to it (at least it did for me -- I'm not sure what frames are though either).

Offhand, I'd say it would reduce chatter since the blade is fully-supported by that big ol frog (or whatever its called).

It's certainly an original concept.

Randy,

I don't want to use this forum as a sales pitch for my tools so I'll just direct you back to my website. If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to answer them though. Or you could PM me or give me a call.

Kind Regards,
    Gary Blum

I am still very interested in a Blum plane, but my wife insists I don't need another tool right now. I'm working on it, though.

Apparently, my wife doesn't know who wears the pants in our family! Actually, it's appears she does know, and that's why I'm enlisting the help of my fellow man to out-think my wife. Check out my new thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=59365

Any man clever enough to help is needed.

Thanks,
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Blum View Post
    Hi all,

This is my first post here but I did register back in early May so I have been following the threads for a while now. They sure are a great way for woodworkers to share information.

In light of that, I would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have regarding any of my tools. I can understand that people are hesitant to try them because they are definitely different. I am trying to get more reviews and do some videos for the website so they can be seen in action. For anyone who does order, I would just say that satisfaction is gauranteed so there is no risk if you don't like the tool.

Kind Regards,
    Gary Blum
    Gary,

I'm not a Neander. In fact, far from it. (I'm a Festool fan.) I appreciate the beauty of metal and especially wooden planes, but I'm typically not interested. However...

Your planes fascinate me and your sharpening jig looks very interesting.

Regarding your planes, there are two rather interesting features listed on your website...
    Multi-pitch plane with interchangeable frogs
    Scraper frog available
    - Looking at the design, does this mean that you could say buy several frogs with different angles and swap them from one plane to another?

- Is it feasible now or in the future to have one plane that can be changed from low angle to standard plane simply by quickly and easily changing the frogs and/or blades? (The operative phrase is "quickly and easily".)

- Can you buy a scraper frog and turn a standard plane into a scraper plane?

Regarding the jig, I'm currently playing around with some waterstones and a ceramic stone, and have purchased some lapping film to try the Scary Sharp method. Questions about your jig:

- Would there be any problems using water stones with your sharpening jig?

- How about using lapping film (sandpaper) cut and glued to an appropriate size backing plate?

Thanks,

Dan.
    Last edited by Dan Clark; 06-07-2007 at 1:32 AM.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Hi Dan,

All very good questions so here goes.
    I am currently working on the scraper plane and it will have the same adjusting mechanism as the planes so yes the frog will be interchangeable and available as a replacement to use in the planes to turn them into a scraper plane. It's just a matter of screwing the adjusting nuts until the whole frog assembly comes out and screwing the scraper frog back in. Should take about 2 minutes. I hope to have them available in a month or two.

The plane was designed to use interchangeable frogs. In my early prototypes I used a 45 degree angle and was planning on offering frogs that went to 60 degrees. With this design, there is an interplay between the frog bedding angle, the cut angle and the angles for the back up iron and the chipbreaker part of the frog. In short, without increasing the bedding angle, I think 50 degrees is probably the maximum angle I can use. However, I can go much lower and in fact am working on a block plane that will have a 35 degree angle( if my prototypes work as planned).
    It's quite expensive to have these different angled frogs made, so I' m waiting to see what the feedback or demand is for them. As a low angle bevel down plane, I think it would work really well and would also be able to handle long grain without tearing because of the chipbreaker and solid blade seating. I'm anxious to try that. So,yes, a lower angle frog is coming but just not available yet.

Regarding the sharpening jigs, they are made of plastic,stainless steel, brass and aluminum so they are designed to be used with waterstones.

You certainly could glue any kind of paper to a block of wood, MDF, plastic,etc. to use as a regular stone on the jig. I use a 2x4 block of MDF as a stropping block for the final polish. I set the angle 1 degree higher than the honing angle and use green compound on the MDF block. Then I lay the blade on the top of the jig and let one side of the block polish the back of the blade and the other rest on the top of the jig. This is a version of David Charlesworth's ruler trick, only I don't hone the back of the blade, just polish it. Do this back and forth a few times and your blade is sharp!
    Thanks for your interest.

Kind Regards,
    Gary Blum

Torx instead of Philips Screws? Block Plane?

Gary,

I'll read your most recent post later today, so I may have more questions. But I do have two immediate questions...

I've had major problems with Phillips screws. I use only Torx or Square drive screws unless forced to use Phillips. Would you be willing to replace the phillips Heads screws in your plane with Torx head screws? (I'd pay more.)

When do you expect to come out with your block plane?

Thanks,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Hi Dan,

Sure, if torx or square drive screws are available I would substitute them for the phillips heads.

I am prototyping the block plane now, so it kinda depends on how many changes I will need to get it ready for final production. I am hoping this wont be more than a couple of months.

Kind Regards,
    Gary Blum