Thread: Bed Construction

Bed Construction

This ia a whie QS oak bed....The front and back are made of shaped components , like a chair and so I used chair construction techniques. The drawing is scaled, a grid is set and transfered to a tin piece of plywood. The points of intersection are transfered to the template grid and the dots connected with lines. Then the pieces are cut from 8/4 using the bandsaw. Ganged together they are shaped to be a pair. I used the King Arthur's Galahad and the Ball end in my die grinder. I am reviewing the King Artur's tools by request from the King himself and I must say they really give a lot of control and made quck work of pairing the rear legs. Then the Rotex festool with heavy 35 grit....blended the scallops...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 06-03-2007 at 8:03 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

a few more pics for the pic lookers
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 06-03-2007 at 8:02 PM.

Mark, I'm trying to visualize the bed... is this going to be for a box+mattress, or just for the mattress? It seems like it'd be pretty short for a box+mattress set, as those are getting thicker and thicker these days, and if I read the scale right, the frame is only 3' tall?

I like the lines on the legs. I don't quite see what those headboard pieces are going to be like though. Got a 3D rendering?
    "It's Not About You."

Well now my friend...you can't just cut square parts now can ya...

Be careful...some of those tools you are reviewing look like flesh muchers.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Art, Mark tends to do platforms that don't require the box spring...at least that's what's he's shown before.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Mark, I'm trying to visualize the bed... is this going to be for a box+mattress, or just for the mattress? It seems like it'd be pretty short for a box+mattress set, as those are getting thicker and thicker these days, and if I read the scale right, the frame is only 3' tall?

I like the lines on the legs. I don't quite see what those headboard pieces are going to be like though. Got a 3D rendering?

No box spring...here is a sketch

I had a busy family day today and did not get much work done....I didn't have much of a chance to explain the work either. As with chairs the key is often the construction of the back.....and then the construction of the front. The back is most of the work of this bed....shaping the legs,...resawing and forming the curved headboard stretchers... Shaping the stretchers and legs as a single unit. The the same is true of the front....the 2 legs shaped....joined to a double thick 8/4 stretcher...Then the long siderails join the front to the back....a center "T" beam and some slats and we have a bed. The key component here is the back or headboard with this done the difficult work is over... The curved back support will be formed to a curved form and glued and clamped or placed in a vacuum bag....i haven't decided which method yet,,, It is important with each project to focus on the key elements of construction and take all the necessary steps to insure good work...the project hinges on these aspects...

Attaching moulding to painted wood.

Message deleted as it was in the wrong thread.
    Last edited by Jeff Cord; 06-04-2007 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Didn't mean this as a response to the thread.