Thread: Used Grizzly Tools_ What is a fair Price?

Question Used Grizzly Tools_ What is a fair Price?

I am very interested in buying some used woodworking tools. I know someone that is selling the following tools...
    G1023SL tablesaw
    G1028Z Dust collector
    G0551 15" planer
    G0500 Jointer

What is a fair offer for the tools? Isn't there some type of formula to figure out what they are worth like a Kelly Blue Book? They are about 2 years old and not used too hard. Please give me individual prices for each tool in case I don't want to buy them all.

P.S. If you would not recommend me buying any of these tools for a specific reason please let me know why.

Thanks for your help. Bob

I think it depends on what part of the country your in, how big the city or town your in and how close a Grizzly store is from you and what kind of shape the tools are in. It's really a unfair question to ask, especially when I can't physically inspect the machinery.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 08-19-2007 at 6:24 PM.

As a "general rule", used machines sell for between 40 - 60% of original cost depending on:
    How badly you want (need) the tool and
    How badly the seller wants (needs) the dough.
    Any asking price over 60% is (IMO) too much for a used "as is" machine with no factory warranty regardless of how good it may look. If the price is under 40% of original cost, for a machine in apparently "good condition", I would be thinking that there was something I wasn't being told.
    David DeCristoforo

Chuck, sorry if it is an unfair question, I didn't mean for it to be. Anyhow, I am from a suburb of Philadelphia about a 2.5 hour drive to Muncy, PA where Grizzly is located. Here is what I know about the prices of the equipment new without shipping.
    Jointer Go586 which is comparable to G0500 $595
    Planer G0551 $650
    Tablesaw G1023sl $945
    Dust Collector $265

The equipment has barely been used just for a hobby, but the guy is moving and down sizing his house and shop. As far as I know everything looks and works great.

Is it unreasonable for me to offer $550 for the tablesaw and $160 for the dust collector? Thanks for your insight.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    As a "general rule", used machines sell for between 40 - 60% of original cost depending on:
    How badly you want (need) the tool and
    How badly the seller wants (needs) the dough.
    Any asking price over 60% is (IMO) too much for a used "as is" machine with no factory warranty regardless of how good it may look. If the price is under 40% of original cost, for a machine in apparently "good condition", I would be thinking that there was something I wasn't being told.

I disagree. I think if you buy a quality tool that is well taken care of and performs as new, then paying more than 60% would be expected. How much more is up to the buyer's wallet and desire to have said tool.

Example would be taking the 1023SL which sells for a tad over 1000 shipped brand new. Buying a used one local for 700 would be OK if it was in great condition and required no clean up or replacement parts.

that being said....if you are buying all 4 tools...then yes i think offering him 60% cash and carry would be a fair first offer.

This is what happens when you open too many posts at one time. You finish typing something, and four other people have typed the same thing. But I respectfully disagree with Tim. Why would you artificially start higher?

A good place to start would be 50% of current retail. You are out of warranty, so all the risk is yours. The saw will most likely push 60% on craigslist, the dust collector somewhat less, say the 40% point.

As for things not to buy, that depends. If you plan to work inside, like your basement, I'd be careful with that dust collector. She came with very porous bags, which let the fine stuff pass through. It could be upgraded with a better bag or canister, but she is also at the small end of things, HP wise.

In very general terms, Grizzly tools should do very well for you. I have some, and like them very much.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Thiel; 08-19-2007 at 6:50 PM.

I offered him about 40% off the list price for the tablesaw and dust collector, and he has yet to respond. I don't want to pay more then 70% of the list price because 1) the tools are used. 2) there is no warranty. The man selling the tools wants $2500 for all four, but you can buy them new for about that if you pick them up. I guess he does not want to sell them that bad?
    thanks for your thoughts. Bob

Jim,
    thanks I have a 24 X 24 detached shop. I am also an industrial arts teacher, so I can do some projects after school in that shop. Basically, hobby projects at the home shop + opening the garage doors and using the leaf blower clears left over dust in a hurry . So, I think the Grizzly dust collector will work out. Thanks Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    I disagree. I think if you buy a quality tool that is well taken care of and performs as new, then paying more than 60% would be expected. How much more is up to the buyer's wallet and desire to have said tool.

Example would be taking the 1023SL which sells for a tad over 1000 shipped brand new. Buying a used one local for 700 would be OK if it was in great condition and required no clean up or replacement parts.

that being said....if you are buying all 4 tools...then yes i think offering him 60% cash and carry would be a fair first offer.
    Well I said as a "general rule". I'm sure there any number of hypothetical situations in which a general rule would not apply.... For example, I actually paid more than original cost for my mid 50's DeWalt RAS. Of course it had been restored to "like new" condition by Chuck Wolfe and I just couldn't resist those red bakelite knobs!
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Bob DiGiacomo View Post
    Chuck, sorry if it is an unfair question, I didn't mean for it to be. Anyhow, I am from a suburb of Philadelphia about a 2.5 hour drive to Muncy, PA where Grizzly is located. Here is what I know about the prices of the equipment new without shipping.
    Jointer Go586 which is comparable to G0500 $595
    Planer G0551 $650
    Tablesaw G1023sl $945
    Dust Collector $265

The equipment has barely been used just for a hobby, but the guy is moving and down sizing his house and shop. As far as I know everything looks and works great.

Is it unreasonable for me to offer $550 for the tablesaw and $160 for the dust collector? Thanks for your insight.
    Bob
    Bob - I have the same general rule as David. Fair pricing is what a willing and able buyer is willing to pay for the items today. I would not base an offer on what he wants for the machinery, base it on what worth it has to you. That said, your offer seems reasonable given you have had an opportunity to inspect the machinery.
    Steve