Thread: Chisels

Chisels

I'm looking to pickup a starter set of chisels. Does anyone have experience with this brand? Any input is welcome.

http://www.amazon.com/Footprint-1231...986955&sr=1-40

http://www.amazon.com/Footprint-1274...987050&sr=1-34

Thanks

Randy

Randy, Berland house of tools carries the Marples chisels and many marple rebrands - I bought a set of the marples rebranded by dewalt (they were a free gift with some tool they sold) - the four piece set was $25. Once sharpened they work real real good. Brian at Holbren.com can also get them cheap as well I believe and he is a great guy to deal with. He sold me my waterstones and a couple sets of two cherries chisels.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

My 2 cents

The Marples are much better than the Footprints. The Novlex ( Checzaslavian ) chisels are cheaper and make great paring chisels. The have a high cromium content. Not as good for morticing but you'll probably buy a 'starter' morticing chisel ( 3/8ths ) would be a good one for 3/4 inch stock.

I used a set of Craftsman premium chisels and they are still working great. Now days it's not hard to get a really good chisel fairly priced.

I did get ( here comes the gloat ), a set of Ashley Isles in the London Pattern from the Best Things. They are $165 for 6. I've tried them out right out of the box and they are able to pare stubborn pine easily. I thought I'd have to spend a whole Saturday just getting them fettled in but they are so sharpe that I'll just do them one at a time as they get dulled from use. Great balance and I still think a great price.

I've got a Marples 1/4 inch that I've used for a lot of dovetails over the years and it's still going strong. Slippery slope....to chisel heaven!

Hoot. Enjoy the shavings.