Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: RESOLVED: I was trying to avoid posting this - General jointer damaged by ???

I'd be buying me a Grizzly, much better CS than this. Sell the other stuff and cut your losses as this is a joke.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson View Post
    David, take a look at the first photo of the jointer in the crate. Someone at Redmond ran a 2x4 from the base of the crate up underneath the ends of the jointer tables. If you use a fork lift to lift that crate it WILL flex and when you set it down you are very likely to break the table castings, tweak the cabinet, and in general cause havoc (all of which happened BTW). It's much better to tighten up the jibs and leave the table ends unsupported. Of course crating the top and having the cabinet/motor combo in a separate box is even better.
    Are you suggesting that a Forklift operator picked the jointer up from one of the long ends? Specifically under the table that was cracked end, and that was the cause of the break? Not possible. The only way to pick up that crate is from the front or back (see blocking underneath), and someone would do it in the middle for weight balance.

I have no vested interest in defending Redmond, so if you can provide me with some scenarios as to how the crate caused the table breakage, I will change my tune.

I am sure the crate was dropped, tipped, or worse, some Yahoo put his wide forks on either side of the base 2' up and lifted the machine by the tables.

I am sure Redmond has packed a jointer before.

Thanks,

David.

I"ve got to say, "Way To Go" to General and Mr. Frampton as well. It sounds like General is the company putting out the effort to take care of the problem when it wasn't theirs to begin with. It also sounds like Redmond did the least that it could do to just try to sweep the problem under the rug.

Way To go again to General and Mr. Frampton. Here's hoping the thrid time is the charm.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 06-29-2007 at 11:29 PM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I checked Gary's original gloat when the jointer and planer was delivered. It came before 5/11/07. The soonest the second replacement could arrive is 7/9/07.

When I order a product, especially a floor display, I expect to be able to use it pretty quickly. Two months is out of the question. The number of headaches Gary has had to deal with is out of the question.

When the original product was delivered damaged in an undamaged case, Redmond should have arranged for pick up of the damaged product and delivery of the new product with the next shipping opportunity. They could also have sent replacement parts and a tech to fix the jointer.

Redmond, General, Old Dominion and Roadway all share some of the blame. But somebody has to take responsibility here. Gary contracted with Redmond to buy a jointer. Almost two months later he hasn't got it. Redmond has failed here. The email from Redmond specifying that Gary would write a "favorable message about Wm. J. Redmond & Sun, Inc. and General Mfg. in regards to the manner in which they handled your situation to your satisfaction" pushes me over the top. I wouldn't deal with them for a future tool purchase under any conditions.

It seems General has tried to bale out Redmond, and their products have a well deserved reputation for quality, but they haven't done a stellar job either.
    Last edited by John Schreiber; 06-30-2007 at 1:23 AM.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Gary,
    Having read part of this thread, not all, I've gotten the highlites. Sorry for all you troubles! Hope you get the tool you deserve! Hope these two companies pony up for all your troubles.

If you need to use a jointer call me I've got a 6" Delta that hasn't been used all summer and I've got coffee.

Jim
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    That's great news Gary. If only thay had done this 3 weeks ago. Kudos to General for stepping up to the plate!
    Better make that one giant kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn View Post
    Gary,
    Having read part of this thread, not all, I've gotten the highlites. Sorry for all you troubles! Hope you get the tool you deserve! Hope these two companies pony up for all your troubles.

If you need to use a jointer call me I've got a 6" Delta that hasn't been used all summer and I've got coffee.

Jim
    Thanks Jim. I'm thinkin the coffee pot in your shop must be the most critical tool of all.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Thanks Jim. I'm thinkin the coffee pot in your shop must be the most critical tool of all.

Jim puts away coffee like I do. Non stop

Theres a jointer with my name on it

Literally. It will be shipped out later today. Thanks Mr. Frampton.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Hopefully the third time will be a charm.

I love the "Before" shot ... I can't wait to see the "After" :P
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

At the risk of injecting more gloom into this thread, that crate doesn't look all that sturdy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Townsend View Post
    At the risk of injecting more gloom into this thread, that crate doesn't look all that sturdy to me.
    I agree with Brad. Given the rough treatment shipments receive from the handlers will your jointer arrive in good condition?

Thumbs up Check this out:

It appears someone no longer offers General Jointers...
    http://www.redmondmachinery.com/browse.cfm/2,22.html

I'd be willing to bet that General made the decision not to do business with Redmond anymore. Rightly so.

I hope you have better luck this time around Gary, and thanks for posting!
    Stephen

I'm suprised at how "open" the crate is, but it is more substantial than the pallet, cardboard box, and styrofoam that my Yorkcraft was packaged in. It will be interesting though to see how bad they beat it up.

Hopefully in a few days we will all be reading Gary's post about what a GREAT JOB that Redmond did on this.