Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: RESOLVED: I was trying to avoid posting this - General jointer damaged by ???

Me and damaged jointers: two in a row

After the jointer's scenic trip to KC, I finally arranged for delivery on 6/28. After calling 4 or 5 times today, I was able to confirm that it would indeed arrive today. The driver would deliver it, we'd move it off the crate, put the old one on the crate and away it would go.

Then an emptry truck arrived from Roadway for pickup.

After another call - during which they talked about rescheduling again, the CS rep talked to the driver (who was very helpful) and we determined the delivery truck was coming and that driver would take care of pickup too.

Then the truck arrived. The crate was in pretty bad shape as you can see. I happened to notice the locking screw for the outfeed table hanging in the plastic. Please note, I did not disassemble the crate at all. This is exactly how I found it. All I did was move the plastic so I could inspect the unit.

I decided to screw it back in. It wouldn't. Something got sheared off, or whatever it screws into was damaged or not present. Definitely not taking delivery of this one, I thought.

I called Mr. Frampton at General and let him know. He apologized and cautioned me not to take delivery, but to leave the original jointer there.

He told me he would try to work something out, but returning the jointer was also an option.

Now maybe I'm being stubborn, but I've had a mobile base and a shelix head for this model jointer for a month and I'm not sure if I can return the head. The mobile base has been scratched up from the original jointer so, I will definitely lose money there.

I like General tools. I bought a General jointer. I still want one. Am I just being an idiot?

I hope something can be worked out. I've been very patient. To be honest, I would have thought I'd be enraged right now. Not sure. Maybe I'm in shock or denial about this ongoing farce I find myself involved in...

To be continued...
    Again...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Are my eyes seeing that replacement jointer also shipping as an assembled unit??? Huh???
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, I seem to remember something being said that it would ship that way in a specially designed and built crate that would support it properly. Gary, I think you're just numb at this point. Man I'm sorry this has happened again. You didn't deserve that after what you've already been through. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Is it possible there should be a nut that the loose piece will screw into? Maybe its just a matter of a bit of adjustment?

Gary,

At this point either General needs to send you a proper unit or you need to find somewhere else to get the same model. Mr. Frampton seems to be trying the best he can, but it's really beyond me why the 2nd one wouldn't have been packed better. It's insane. I know you got a deal. I know you paid for a display model. But they need to ensure that the condition of the machine is exactly the same as it was when on display.

I'm amazed at the incompetence of whoever is packaging these machines. It's really too bad that a good name is being tarnished by those who can't package a machine for shipping. Even worse that a very patient customer is being handed a really sour lemon twice in a row, now. It's becoming quite the fiasco and I wouldn't blame you if you gave up on General altogether.

At this point, I'd hope that General can be convinced that you deserve more than this and goes above and beyond to make it right once and for all. I think this is really their time to shine if they want to recover what negative press they've gotten. It needs to end now, and they're the only ones who can do that.
    Last edited by John Bailey; 06-29-2007 at 6:18 AM.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Blog Entries
    Honestly, I just don't see why they can't disassemble the jointer, package the table and stand separately and ship it out in a ridiculously reinforced crate. They should package it as if there reputation depends upon it...because it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wintle View Post
    Is it possible there should be a nut that the loose piece will screw into? Maybe its just a matter of a bit of adjustment?
    Its possible. I looked all over the crate. Didn't find anything. That crate definitely isn't what I expected. I'm not sure how it was supporting the tables.

Blog Entries
    "The shipper and the crate" by Seemore xxxx Holy Moly, there has been almost 20,000 visits to this thread. I sure hope they get this right for you soon.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-28-2007 at 9:21 PM. Reason: Language inappropriate for a family forum
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Gary,

At this point either General needs to send you a proper unit or you need to find somewhere else to get the same model. Mr. Frampton seems to be trying the best he can, but it's really beyond me why the 2nd one wouldn't have been packed better. It's insane. I know you got a deal. I know you paid for a display model. But they need to ensure that the condition of the machine is exactly the same as it was when on display.

I'm amazed at the incompetence of whoever is packaging these machines. It's really too bad that a good name is being tarnished by asshats who can't package a machine for shipping. Even worse that a very patient customer is being handed a really sour lemon twice in a row, now. It's becoming quite the fiasco and I wouldn't blame you if you gave up on General altogether.

At this point, I'd hope that General can be convinced that you deserve more than this and goes above and beyond to make it right once and for all. I think this is really their time to shine if they want to recover what negative press they've gotten. It needs to end now, and they're the only ones who can do that.
    A big DITTO
    Building Inspector, CBO

after this sad story repeated.........

gary, after this sad story repeated you would think that the powers that be at corporate (General) would be offering to send a special delivery truck direct from their distribution hub with a team to set it exactly where it needs to be.

......cost at this point should not be a calculation on their part any longer, rebuilding their credibility is.

Blog Entries
    I know everyone else has said it but, I am so sorry this is happening to you. I would be very disgruntled at this point. I would definitly be looking to get out of this and try another product.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Unbelievable...You are very patient. I would have gone ballistic weeks ago. Cut your losses and buy from a reputable company like Grizzly. Heck, drive down to Springfield tomorrow and bring one home and be done with it. Sell the base if it won't work, try to exhange the cutterhead, or if you can't sell it and you'll still be ahead financially overall. Plus you know you'll be dealing with a company competent enough to take care of their customers.

BTW, how is that positive email about how General and Redmond helped you out coming along?
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 06-28-2007 at 6:36 PM.

I think the whole situation is beyond salvaging at this point. They have had their chance to make good on a jointer for you. You can always sell the mobile base and cutterhead and go with another brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wintle View Post
    I think the whole situation is beyond salvaging at this point. They have had their chance to make good on a jointer for you. You can always sell the mobile base and cutterhead and go with another brand.
    I don't blame General for this. I really don't. But if I do wind up not going with a General jointer and selling the base and the head at a loss, I don't think I'll ever buy another General tool again.

I know that isn't fair. I'm probably getting over the shock and starting to get angry. But I keep thinking: I just wanted to get a high quality jointer and planer.

I guess sometimes things just don't work out.

I didn't intend to villify anyone in this post. I apologize if thats how its turned out.

I do appreciate all the support I've gotten from my fellow Creekers. Thanks.

I just sent the email below to General International generalint@aol.com and Redmond Machinery mail@redmondmachinery.com .

Dear Sirs,

Reference: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=59207

I am part of Sawmill Creek, an internet community of woodworkers who have followed the attempts of one of our members to purchase a General 8" jointer through Redmond Machinery. Having read the thread referenced above, you can see why your reputations have plummeted in the opinions of many people. The thread has been "hit" almost 20,000 times.

Please do what you can to compensate our fellow woodworker and save your reputations. Action needs to take place NOW. I am not involved personally in this situation, but I would recommend that a principle of General and/or Redmond personally deliver and setup the equipment which was originally ordered. At this point additional compensation, in whatever form meets the needs of the customer, seems to me to be entirely appropriate.

I would suggest that you also directly address the issue by posting on Sawmill Creek. It is not too late to change this from a damaging mistake into a learning experience.

Thank you.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate