Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: RESOLVED: I was trying to avoid posting this - General jointer damaged by ???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wintle View Post
    My question exactly. 3 weeks is a huge amount of time.
    I don't 3 weeks is that long. Some of that is tied up in shipping and communicating. I think General handled this properly and promptly. I wouldn't expect them to replace the display model with a newer model on the first go round. I'm glad to see they are doing it this time though...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post
    I don't 3 weeks is that long. Some of that is tied up in shipping and communicating. I think General handled this properly and promptly. I wouldn't expect them to replace the display model with a newer model on the first go round. I'm glad to see they are doing it this time though...
    Redmond should have stepped up right away when it was discoverd the first one was broken.

Blog Entries
    Redmond should have stepped up right away when it was discoverd the first one was broken.
    I agree with you on what Redmond should have done.

But they didn't. And that's why I, for one, will never even consider shopping with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    But why has it taken THREE WEEKS for General to step up and make this right.

Wonder if Redmond will be repping General for much longer?

Nancy
    Nancy, the way I understand it is that this was not General's problem to start with. They stepped in when Redmond didn't take care of things properly. So General didn't get involved until after the first week or so. This is the second one that General is shipping out. I think they 'done good' by Gary. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I should say that y'all should quit jumping on the "General is Great" bandwagon until Gary ACTUALLY RECEIVES an undamaged jointer. The only thing he's been given so far is promises.

Hopefully they come through.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Nancy, the way I understand it is that this was not General's problem to start with. They stepped in when Redmond didn't take care of things properly. So General didn't get involved until after the first week or so. This is the second one that General is shipping out. I think they 'done good' by Gary. Jim.
    As I read things, Gary began this post on June 4, and his initial sentences were: "I posted a few weeks ago that I purchased a General 8" jointer and and a General 14" planer on sale at Redmond Machinery.

What I didn't post was that the jointer arrived damaged. I had assumed that either Redmond Machinery or the shipper (Old Dominion Freight Lines)would make it right for me. That was my 2nd mistake. The broken off piece was not in the crate."

General should have stepped up at the very beginning to work with Gary to make this right, and NOT waited until this thread started drawing attention from the nearly 22,000 views and almost 250 posts that have resulted.

Yes, General has stepped up and is - supposedly - making things right with Gary. I sure don't see Redmond doing that, nor the freight line. Redmond is the company that has been most hurt by this entire incident---and don't forget that.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I guess I looked over the part that it had actually started before the first post in this thread. I agree with you Nancy, this fiasco is in Redmond's lap. That's why I don't fault General at all. They weren't in the loop at first, so could not have taken charge. I believe that Mr Frampton stepped in quickly once he was made aware of the situation, whether someone notified him, or someone in his company saw this thread and reported the problem, I don't know. I think that they stepped in and got the fix going when it seemed neither Redmond nor the original freight company were willing to. Unfortuanately that first 'fix' ended up being damaged also. But Mr Frampton has stepped up again to make this right. It's a shame that Gary has had to deal with this for this long. But I believe that General is doing their best to make it right. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Just got a call from Mr. Frampton.
    Mr. Frampton gets the cupie doll...not the big one 'cause it's taken too long and the first unit he had shipped wasn't packed right IMHO...but a prize, no less, for doing the right thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Latest update

Mr. Frampton called again to let me know the new jointer would go to the shipper next Tuesday (to minimize the potential for damage from sitting on their dock over the weekend). Monday is Canada day, so they'll be closed. So right now, the ETA will probably be some time the week of the 9th.

At this point, thats fine with me.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Can we all keep our collective fingers and toes crossed for Gary?

Nancy
    Nancy Laird

Wrong Villan...

I think I might be in the minority here, but I am not sure how Redmond or General were at falut to begin with.

I don't know Redmond from anything other than reputation, and that they have a good one.

They would have to be complete crackheads to ship a jointer with a cracked casting. Why set a chain of events in motion, shipping an obviously broken jointer, that would only come back to cause a huge headache?

This machine was dropped or tipped or handled in some maner that would have damaged this or any other machine, irrespective of the crate.

Anyone buy a Sawstop recently? They have "Tilt-o-meters" on the side of the crate, and in big print tell the reciever to sign "possible damage", they have had so many shipping nightmares.

The shipper is the one who screwed up here and somehow Redmond is being held to blame. I think that is wrong.

Thank you,

David.

David, you apparently haven't read the entire thread. Gary bought a display machine, it was recrated at Redmond, and Redmond allowed it to be shipped assembled. The people at Redmond had the responsibility to disassemble it and ship it properly. If they had done so, the first one would probably have arrived in good shape and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Of course, ODFL bears some responsibility too, but that's between Redmond and ODFL, not Gary's problem.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird

David, take a look at the first photo of the jointer in the crate. Someone at Redmond ran a 2x4 from the base of the crate up underneath the ends of the jointer tables. If you use a fork lift to lift that crate it WILL flex and when you set it down you are very likely to break the table castings, tweak the cabinet, and in general cause havoc (all of which happened BTW). It's much better to tighten up the jibs and leave the table ends unsupported. Of course crating the top and having the cabinet/motor combo in a separate box is even better.

I think General's latest offer is fair and I'm impressed that they aren't giving up. I don't know if I'll ever be in the market for big iron, but General will be a top contender if I am.