Thread: Which pocket-hole jig?

Which pocket-hole jig?

I'd like to buy a pocket hole jig? I know Kreg produces a bunch of different ones, and I imagine others produce similar jigs. I'd appreciate recommendations as to which jig/kit folks like. My initial plan is to use it to join plywood for cabinets in the garage etc. Thanks -Howard

Blog Entries
    I have a mini that I love due to the fact that I can get it into spots others won't go. The R-3 is very reasonable ($39) and has most of what you'd need for hobbyist work. The pre-stepped edge guide is what attracts me. It does not come with a clamp but I find I use an 11" pair of vise-grips with the pads more than the supplied little clamp. The right angle clamp is pretty cool too but I don't have one.

For more serious quantities of work, I'd step up. I keep meaning to get a larger setup but the mini gets me by and is very quick.

Now didn't that help?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For starters (like me) I bought the Rocket.

It has a spaced two jig with clamp. The clamp is really the cat's meow. It makes everything much easier. I wouldn't step down from the rocket in terms of price.

I think any of the Borg will have it.

Hello,
    I bought the older style R3 kit that came with the clamp.
    Whichever one you end up with Kreg builds a good product.
    It's one of those few things in life that actually works just like they say it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Pollack View Post
    I'd like to buy a pocket hole jig? I know Kreg produces a bunch of different ones, and I imagine others produce similar jigs. I'd appreciate recommendations as to which jig/kit folks like. My initial plan is to use it to join plywood for cabinets in the garage etc. Thanks -Howard
    K2000 or K3 system each would be awesome. I own the older K2000 and it works great.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Howard,
    THE best Kreg kit you can afford. I know this is worn out statement but it REALLY apllies to this tool. Whatever you buy will change the way you do things forever. I'm still amazed at the ease of use and the many uses I find for the tool. I just recent bought the clamp/plate the is inlayed into a workbench...it made faceframing sooooo much easier.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I started out with the R-3 model since there is an upgrade kit to go to the full kit if you later decide to. It's great as long as you're working on the flat edge of a part. If you want to do some fancy work with mitered edges the steps that line up the edge for you get in the way. I've thought about getting one of the other models for those situations, but haven't bothered yet.

howard, pocket screws will work for fastening plywood case parts together but they usually cause a slight CREEP in the joint since the pocket screw is driven in at an angle. a cheaper and more precise alternative would be to just get some assembly screws and a countersink bit. personally, i use confirmat screws with a zentrix drill guide.

i used the kreg jig in the past to do face frames and case fastening but i've found that steve clardy's pocket hole machine works much better for face frames (on the RARE occasion that i actually build one!) since the pocket is drilled at a much lower angle than the kreg and virtually eliminates shifting if the joint is clamped.

I also use the Kreg....like it a lot. Mine is an older model, I've thought about upgrading to the new style with chip collection and front handle.

I didn't think I would use it much, but I was wrong.
    Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    howard, pocket screws will work for fastening plywood case parts together but they usually cause a slight CREEP in the joint since the pocket screw is driven in at an angle.
    Hi Frank,

Just in case this helps; the threads of your pocket hole screw should not traverse the joint once the screw is seated. This is where your creep comes from. If you get the screws that have a smooth shank where it passes the joint, you're whole pocket hole experience will change.

More info - http://www.mcfeelys.com/tech/pocket_hole.asp
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Wong View Post
    I also use the Kreg....like it a lot. Mine is an older model, I've thought about upgrading to the new style with chip collection and front handle.

I didn't think I would use it much, but I was wrong.
    Dito...

- John

glen, thanks for the tip. i'll have to try that some day in the future if i ever buy another kreg pocket hole jig again. i've always thought that it was the angle that was responsible for the creep as that is a selling point for the porter cable pocket cutter (6 degrees vs 11 degrees). the funny thing is that i've always used the 1 1/4" screws that KREG makes!