Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plastic tags and plates...

Plastic tags and plates...

I had a laser job last week for an electrician. He needed some tags made for a job he was trying to finish up on. These plastice tags mean things to them and are needed to pass their inspection by the state electrical inspector.

They have standard sizes and colors they use. They will give you the wording for the signs. They also know the code for the colors and sizes they need.

I spent this weekend making a flyer and some samples to mail out to my local contractors. The research I did tells me plumbers, electricians, HVAC installers, fires systems, security systems all use these tags/plates.

They sell for $3-$8 a tag. It's really good money.

I've included my master templates so you can just drop your text on the tags. These are the most common sizes they use. Take a look at the flyer and you will see a list of the most common colors they use.

I've got an order of 40 tags coming next week from a contractor who says it's very hard to find a source for the tags.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Carol VanArnam Epilog Helix 60w, Corel 12, I like chocolate.....

Carol,

I have been working commercial construction projects at CNU for almost four years and I can verify that there are a lot of tags required for new buildings. The electrical, mechanical, HVAC and plumbing trades are all required to tag their major components, circuits, pumps, valves, etc. Kitchen equipment is another place that requires a lot of tags for dining/commercial restaurants. Safety and fire service equipment is another source for tag work and many buildings will now have a electronic control panel that is usually engraved stainless steel.

As you get acquainted with local construction companies you may also be asked to start providing signs for their new buildings.

Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-21-2007 at 5:48 AM.

I get a fair amount of that business but from the people who build control panels for large factory equipment, power plants, oil refineries, theaters, arenas, etc. It is usually people who specialize in these various areas rather than plumbers and electricians that I am getting.

I recently quoted on a large job for a city water plant where 3 large control panels arer being built. Here you have to read the cad drawings and make labels accordingly with few being the same.

Same is true of certain types of military equipment. I haven't been so lucky as to find standard sizes though when they order it may be 20 of a kind or 40.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Carol VanArnam View Post
    I had a laser job last week for an electrician. He needed some tags made for a job he was trying to finish up on. These plastice tags mean things to them and are needed to pass their inspection by the state electrical inspector.

They have standard sizes and colors they use. They will give you the wording for the signs. They also know the code for the colors and sizes they need.
    What type of plastic Carol?
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

material

Good evening Carol,

I also have done these tags for electricians. I see that you have some colors that I do not have. What material do you use? Where do you get it? The tags that I have done are the rowmark material but I dont have the wide array of colors that you have.

BTW I love reading your posts, you seem to be pretty smart. I wanted to sat clever just dont know how to spell it.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

Carol:

Thanks so much for sharing! I've been trying to create something like this for awhile but haven't found the time to get it just right. Your file is a perfect start!

Laura Zaruba :-)

already getting orders....

today I started passing out my flyer and samples. As I'm handing it to an electrician he says "I'll give you my order tomorrow. I've got a job I need tags on..."

I buy my plastic (1/32, 1/16, and 1/8) from both Romark and IPI. Both stock many many colors. Go to their web pages and order a sample color chart. The chart is great to show the customer because it has specifications on the plastic like how it's rated for indoor/outdoor use, etc.

Thad- all of the colors I listed I get from Romark. I have a local distributor who orders the stuff for me. If you can't get a color you need PM me and I'll give you the name of my dealer. I have to places I get the stuff.

I figured if I did one flyer and mailed it to my local companies I'm out very little but the ink and a stamp. The samples I mailed out were made from drop off from past jobs. Since they are samples it doesn't matter really what color they are. I dropped a few samples off around town at the sign shops. They like to buy wholesale from me. I figure anything they give me will just get my work out there faster for people to see.

Rowmark link

http://www.rowmark.com/salestools/Salestools.asp

if you notice they have a pdf downloadable file for all of their stuff.
    you can see the colors and get the item numbers for ordering

Carol,
    I also do mostly industrial work and most of my business is with the electrical business. I only at this point have corel draw 10. Could someone save the file in a lower verison so I could see it. I would like to compare yours to what I have worked up.

Thanks Cindy

version 10

Cindy- here you go version 10
    Attached Files Attached Files

carol,
    I love it. It looks so much better than the one I made up.

Thanks Cindy

Thank You Carol

Hi Carol thank you for being so kind with your tag layout.It is really great and has given me a new market to try. I am wondering what would be the easy way to price the different tag size. (tag size, or by letters, sqaure inch?) Thanks Robert
    Sandcraved Glassware, Stone and Tile
    Engraver of Coats of Arms
    Laser 60 W Xenetech XLT 2436 New Hermes IS400,7200 Glastar Mini, Scat Blast 6' cabinet.Tile saw. Corel X4 PotoGrave3 Adobe CS3,

tags

I work at one of the local hospitals and I do a lot of circuit breaker panel labels. We are constantly "under construction" in one area or another. I cant' see your posts (I use C11), I use red, orange, green, and black, for the differnt electrical systems within the hospital. I have also past my bus. card to the contractors doing the work. Most say they do their own. I could use the business so I continue to pass the cards out.
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

James look at the 6/6/07 posting

I posted the file in Corel version 10 on 6/6/07

Carol:

Just wanted to thank you once again as I've been trying to find the time to get around to making a flyer like you shared. I tweaked your flyer a bit to fit my needs and sent out a mass mailing to local electricians a couple weeks ago. I took my first order today that more than covered the cost of the mailing!! Hopefully this is the start of many new relationships in a new market for me.

Take care,

Laura