Thread: Faux bamboo walking stick.

Faux bamboo walking stick.

Hello, I was asked to re-post this from within a thread, for someone who wants to try it and couldn't find. Hope others enjoy it too.

Here's another perhaps unusual twist on using miltiple axis mounting for creative effect.

I was riveing some red oak into 34" spindle blanks from a tree at the lake here, in my never ending quest to continue to at least think about, maybe someday, that I might... make a windsor chair from scratch. I was reminded of bamboo by the way some of the grain split. I thought it might be cool to see how much I could make it look like bamboo on the lathe - then "Hey, how about a faux bamboo walking stick?" thinks I. "It certainly won't break like bamboo." I could use it when walking the dog in case a nuisance bear shows up. I doubt I could defeat him with it, but holding a stick would give me the courage of 10 men and the bear will probably sense it I also remembered a website that gave walking stick defense lessons: (http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_barton-wright_0200.htm) and have seen antique sticks go on auction for $500-$4000. And what a great gift idea... you know the process.

Anyway back to the point, the oak when I first turned it, looked too "perfect" to be bamboo 'till I re-mounted it just off-center 3 or 4 times and turned it at random spots along it's length. You will see some eccentricities that resulted in the images below.

I then Turned a piece of box elder for the top with a 3/4" x 1" post and drilled into the stick 1". I also used a 7/8 forstner and countersunk the bottom for a chair leveller. This disguised the mounting tricks so no one will ever know how this thing came into being - oh, except everyone here.

I stained the stick first with a golden/yellow stain, then used a small brush with ebony stain on the ridges, then BLO, turps and poly.

Depending on you/your lathe and your skew sharpening ability, it's not for the faint of heart. Good if you can hand support to prevent whip.

Aren't lathes just the most creative tool?

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve,

That looks fantastic and quite realistic...nice job, really nice job!

You know they have bamboo for flooring now. I wonder if you could glue up some pieces and try your hand at it?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Steve, that's a very kewel method that really does mimic the bamboo, especially after you did the glazing. 'Gonna have to try this someday!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Steve,

That looks fantastic and quite realistic...nice job, really nice job!

You know they have bamboo for flooring now. I wonder if you could glue up some pieces and try your hand at it?
    Thank you Chris.

Hey, I wonder if Panda's would like eating it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Steve, that's a very kewel method that really does mimic the bamboo, especially after you did the glazing. 'Gonna have to try this someday!
    I figured I'd make the stick long before I needed one.