Thread: Another 17" Bandsaw choice thread: ShopFoxW1707?

Another 17" Bandsaw choice thread: ShopFoxW1707?

Hi folks,
    This is indeed another thread on bandsaws...
    I used the SEARCH and the Google Search, and read about 50 or more threads on these forums, as well everything I could find "out there" comparing 17/18" bandsaws.

I had decided on the Wilke Bridgewood BW17BS, but it appears that will not likely be an option, unless I can find a used one somehow (craigslist), and I probably have a better chance of finding a MM.

After reading hundreds and hundreds of posts, I have two questions:
    1. Everyone with a G0513 loves it! Only issue was the non cast-iron wheels. G0513X seems to solve this. It seems that the SHOPFOX W1707 is almost exactly the G0513X, and though I have seen folks speculate on this machine, I haven't heard from anyone who OWNS a ShopFox W1707--I would like to know from owners how it compares to the Grizz, whether the "local dealer" aspect of ShopFox (there is a dealer in Phoenix) is helpful, etc.

2. Delta 18" bandsaw was on sale on Amazon for $680 or so, with 150$ shipping around. Normally the saw is around $1200. Almost all the reviews I read on the saw, here also from Bob Aquino?, seem essentially "not as happy with it as Grizzly owners are". And it appears the guide castings are terrible. HOWEVER... is this saw suddenly a GOOD deal and better than the grizz/shopfox, if you can get it for $850 ish?

3. Ok, another I guess... Rikon 18"--does anyone think this is a better saw than the shopfox 17" w1707 (which again, I think is just a bit upgraded from the G513x)?

Thanks for all the time, any anyone replying that I should get a used MM/Lagune/ACM, please include a link to the machine on my local craig's list so I can race over there and comply!

Smile Bandsaw Choice

Dave

I own a Grizzly GO513 and have been completely happy with it in every way. I really think too much was made of the cast iron vs. aluminum. The Shop Fox for all practical purposes is the same machine at usually a slightly higher price. If you've got a good reputable local dealer, by all means buy it from them. If not then buy the Grizzly and move on. I think sometimes, we research ourselves out of making the right decisions.

Larry

Not positive on the bandsaws, but I think one of the only real differences between the Grizzly and the Shop Fox is the Shop Fox comes with a two year warranty vice a one year warranty from Grizzly.

Another difference

Quote Originally Posted by David Tiell View Post
    Not positive on the bandsaws, but I think one of the only real differences between the Grizzly and the Shop Fox is the Shop Fox comes with a two year warranty vice a one year warranty from Grizzly.
    And more white paint!!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    And more white paint!!
    If I recall a post from PapaGrizz (as the owner of both firms goes by on some forums), there are more differences and some apparently identical saws are built by different firms in different plants.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

no owners of a ShopFox 17" W1707 band saw out there?
    Missed my CraigsList buy (guy sold it for $100 less than new, no warranty...), but still interested in it over a Grizzly G0513x.

Dave, I have their 19" and I've been happy with it. I think the 17" is essentially the Grizzly 513X; it has the bearing guides as opposed to the Euro guides on my 19". That usually boils down to personal preference anyway (as to which is better).

I do like the fact that w/ a local dealer you have some backup should anything not be right. A lot easier than having to re-crate a saw if there is a major problem, but I wouldn't worry much about that with Grizz; they seem to work hard to fix issues that arise.

I looked at the Delta and was unimpressed and other's comments and magazine reviews paralleled my thoughts. It just has some real flaws and there are a lot of better options out there.

That said, I think the Rikon is very appealing. Had Woodcraft not screwed up and told me they wouldn't be getting a shipment for a month or so (when they got them in a week), I would have bought one. Some people have had some problems with the redesigned 18", though I don't recall what it was. But it has some nice features for the money and you would have the dealer support of Woodcraft (or other local dealer).

Thanks Jake! This is a great example of why I love reading these forums--I have been unable to actually get my hands on any bandsaws I want to buy, though I drove across town to WoodCraft and Rockler and Woodworking Supply--all anyone has had was Delta and a Powermatic 14". Woodcraft told me they had a Rikon 18" on the floor a week ago, but upon arrival it wasn't there. So, having never touched any of these, I find myself relying on reports from folks like yourself--Thanks for your help!

Rikon 18" BS 10-345

I don't know many (anyone really) who has owned more than one of the current 18" BS. But I did buy a Rikon 10-345 about 4 months ago and am extremely pleased with it. There were a number of posts reporting some issues with early production runs of this saw, most dealt with the new de-tensioning system. Rikon made a number of small changes to address these issues in late 2005 which I believe can retrofitted to older saws. I called Rikon support simply to ask what there take was on the negative comments were and was truly impressed with the knowledge and accessibility of the Rikon support techs. The support tech I spoke with knew by name one guy who had posted a much repeated negative comment. They told me they repeatedly addressed his concerns, and in the end never heard back.

The Rikon was on sale for $999 when I bought it, and even at it's current sub-$1,200 price is an excellent value. Fit and finish is excellent. 2 year warranty. It has a number of clever engineering points such as a double lower door which allows the upper door to open if you have a mobile base with a high lip. Cast iron trunnions, full ball bearing guides - adjustment accessible w/out tilting table, dual 4" dust collection ports. Plenty of power for resawing 12.5 Amp 2 HP 220v motor. The fence is good, not great, but it is adjustable for drift with a "pivot bar", fence has high/low positions similar to Unifence. De-tensioning system works great, little or no adjustments necessary for consistent blade tracking.

You probably won't go too wrong with any of the current 18" BS. I certainly endorse the Rikon, save shipping and pick it up at Woodcraft if there is one local.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frederick Rowe; 06-07-2007 at 6:56 AM.

Dave (and others), I have some reviews on various bandsaws, some models of which are current, some a little dated. (FYI, the Delta is the one that is for sale on Amazon):

The files (PDFs) are too large to attach, but I can email them. I would prefer to do them once, so I'll wait to see if multiple people are interested.