Thread: Redmond Machinery

Redmond Machinery

After reading the post by Gary I'm a bit worried about ordering a new drill press. Has anyone else had these types of shipping issues with Redmond Machinery. I can get the drill press locally for a bit more and a 2 week wait. Thanks for any feedback.

Dan

Almost ALL of the Redmond posts I have read except the recent one have been very very positive. Are you buying a new press or a demo. If buying new I would not hesitate. Call them and ask any questions you mighthave about shipping and damages in shipping or damage before the item ships.
    My new Steel City drill press came in foam packaging and in a huge box. Easy to see any damage that might have taken place. Of course that also means you have to assemble it once delivered.

Some of the generals may ship in crates but I would ask first. You should be fine - I believe the other example to be a rare mishap or misunderstanding on the item ordered or REdmond not aware of the dame on the demo.

Now if you want to wait and see how Redmond solves the other issue that might show how much customer service you might expect.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I haven’t ordered from Redmond in years, unless Gary gets his problem resolved, I won’t be ordering anything from them again.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have only bought one tool from Redmond and Sons and it was a bandsaw that arrived in great shape; shipped and arrived on time so I do not have any input regarding how they handle damaged goods. I think that no matter who you deal with or who the shipper is that the secret is to document ANY damage and do not sign the delivery papers until you are sure that there is no damage. My camera is always standing by for any deliveries.

I'm buying a new drill press and will inspect it very well if I decide to have it sent. I'm always worried about equipment being dropped or bent and not knowing until you get it set up in the shop. I think I will wait to see how they handle this case before I proceed.

Dan

I found the people at Redmond to be excellent and responsive. They are local for me so that might play a role but most of the feedback I have seen has been positive. I do hope they resolve Gary's issue.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lautner View Post
    After reading the post by Gary I'm a bit worried about ordering a new drill press. Has anyone else had these types of shipping issues with Redmond Machinery. I can get the drill press locally for a bit more and a 2 week wait. Thanks for any feedback.

Dan
    If you talk to them about your concerns bring up the negative thread by Gary Herrmann. It might help out Gary and it also might get them to pay extra attention to your order. I have no experience with them but it sounds like they have a good reputation. I'm sure they would like to keep it that way. A good follow up report from you and Gary would go a long way towards repairing any damage done to their reputation done by Gary's post. If they screw up and drop the ball we would all like to know that too.

Bruce

Not Shipping - But Good Service

I bought a TS from Redmond a few years back and it came with a different fence than the one described on the web site. I believe it was an honest error on their part but they made it good by upgrading me to a Beis for a small fee.

I drove over from Birmingham to get the saw but did not take the fence out of the box so I did not find the problem until I got home. I was impressed with their attitude and desire to make me happy.

John

Never bought from them but I just bought a Delta DP at Lowes and found it was damaged once I got home. Went back to the store, they got out the last one they had and I inspected. It was damaged. Called another store went there and again had to unpack and inspect. Finally after 2 stores, 3 units, and several hours I got one.

My point is large tools are big, heavy and not packed to be idiot proof in handling. I believe that no matter who the seller is you have a risk of damage while in their care or by the freight hauler.

The bigger question is how will they handle it. I would wait to see what Gary's outcome is.

I got a damaged item on my first Grizzly purchase. They handled it without question. Didn't cost me a dime and didn't ask me to return the broken piece for proof (front rail tube). That earned Grizzly 3-4 major orders since then.

Good luck.

I purchased a dust collector from them. It arrived very quickly and was in perfect condition.

I would approach Redmond about your concerns. They should be able to put them to rest.

I guess the lesson learned should be to inspect the crate well before signing!