Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gramercy Rasps vs. Auriou

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Bigelow View Post
    What does "dipped" mean?

Files and rasps are sharpened by dipping them in an acid bath.

Greetings! I'm a long time lurker that finally got around to registering. . .

I believe Boggs actually sharpens files and rasps with some sort of abrasive blasting process. I've not tried them but all of the reports I read have been very favorable.

Back to the original post. . . Does anyone have experience with the F. Dick handmade rasps? They are much more attractively priced than the Auriou and if they are half as good as their kitchen knives and steels they should be a first class tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Markunas View Post
    Greetings! I'm a long time lurker that finally got around to registering. . .

I believe Boggs actually sharpens files and rasps with some sort of abrasive blasting process. I've not tried them but all of the reports I read have been very favorable.
    Welcome, Barney! My understanding is the same. I believe they use a water/abrasive slurry under very high pressure and abraid the metal to reshape the cutting tips or edges (they also sharpen regular mill cut files).

A guy came to the local woodworkers club and made a presentation on what they did to sharpen files and that's what I remember.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lang View Post
    Thanks Joel. Two quick notes-you can find the review on the Popwood Weblog. In using either of these, working through 2 or 3 grades will get you extremely close to a finished surface. The tip I got from Michel Auriou was to follow the fine rasp with a cabinet scraper. The rasp leaves minute grooves and the scraper cuts the high spots between them off. Voila! No sanding.

Bob Lang
    Thanks Bob,

That has been my exact process and also my results, the final size Auriou file I use is so fine, light scraping afterwards is all I need.
    Take care,
    Jim

Rasps can be sharpened with sulfuric acid.....thats what I use....Maloof does the same if memory serves me
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"