Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Resin Glue question

Plastic Resin Glue question

I bought some Dap plastic resin glue (the powder form) and have since learned the shelf life is 12 months. Does this mean even in the powder form it's 12 months?
    Would keeping it in the refrigerator help extend the shelf life?
    Does anyone know how to read the date codes or it that possible for this glue?
    TIA, Jack

I'd guess it must be the powder shelf life they're referring to. Once you mix it, shelf life really isn't an issue. You either use it or lose it.
    Use the fence Luke

Tage Frid always closes the can tightly and then stores it upside-down to keep any oxygen from entering the can.

David Marks uses plastic resin glue a lot and I have often wondered were to get it and what brands are out there. Can anyone fill me in? Is it any better than traditional wood glue. David seems to use it for "big glue-ups" to extend the dry time while assembling.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Ace Hardware carries it but now my local ww'ing stores have started carrying it. I LOVE the long open time but keep the blue tape guys in business because Mr. Marks uses a ton of it for a GOOD reason!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

This is the glue...
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...tic+Resin+Glue

I think the shelf life is longer than tey claim if its sealed well. I just bought a large container yesterday... Like a gallon for $24

Amazon has it also..

http://www.amazon.com/Weldwood-Plast...1223439&sr=8-1
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 06-07-2007 at 9:38 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

You need to keep it dry. Once the container is opened, some water vapor (humidity) can get it and start the chemical reaction that gives plastic resin glue it's adhesive property.

You can prolong shelf life with both lower temperatures and lower humidity. Store it in a tightly sealed container with some dessicant.

I use Probond (sp?) plastic resin and Joe Woodworker's plastic resin for both veneering and assembling. Shelf life easily goes past 12 months when stored well, IME. The storing the can upside down thing doesn't work so well with powders.....
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

I've had mine for over a year and it still works. It is the DAP too.

I spoke to David Marks not too long ago about the plastic resin glue and he actually stays away from DAP because it's water based where something like Unibond or the other odd brands you can't find use a catalyst.

I used the DAP resin glue for an outdoor cedar table and benches and after ~6 to 7 years the glue just disintegrated. It was an octagonal shape with splined joints for the perimeter and half-laps for the X members. I was able to tap all the joints loose and reasemble easily. I chose it because of working time and I didn't research outdoor use, so keep that in mind. JCB.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gumpper View Post
    I spoke to David Marks not too long ago about the plastic resin glue and he actually stays away from DAP because it's water based where something like Unibond or the other odd brands you can't find use a catalyst.
    I found this on his website where he writes about this glue:

http://www.djmarks.com/stories/faq/3..._the_46688.asp

I have a never opened quart can of the Urac 185 that I've had for probably two years. It's stored in an a/c'd space. What are the odds it's still good?
    Last edited by Gilbert Vega; 06-07-2007 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Olmsted View Post
    I found this on his website where he writes about this glue:

http://www.djmarks.com/stories/faq/3..._the_46688.asp
    Interesting, his main issue was with the water swelling the joint.

What is the color and consistancy of the mixed glue? Is it the same dark (brown?) stuff that David Marks uses?

I use the DAP and love it. usually I buy the smaller pot locally and buy more if I need to.
    the U185 is just harder to get and I never know how much I use. if I could get it around here, I would try it, but I hate ordering everything online
    Sascha

Blog Entries
    BTW, the cheapest I've found the URAC 185 is at Nelson Paint. They sell it in pints, quarts, and gallons. The pints is actually a hard size to find. The shipping seems more than it should be, but even with that, it is cheaper than anywhere else I googled. If you live near one though, you won't need to worry about that.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good