Thread: Need recommendations for plunge router

Need recommendations for plunge router

I’m getting everything put together to plumb my shop with 6” PVC dust collection pipe and realize I really need a plunge router. I have some MDF donuts to make for joining the blower to the cyclone. I also plan on making my own blast gates out of MDF and Masonite. Good dust collection on the router is going to weigh heavily on my decision.

I’ve heard good things about Dewalt’s 621 and was wanting everyone else’s opinions.

For reference I have a Porter Cable D-handle router as my only handheld and the larger PC 3 hp plunge router mounted in my router table. I hate using the 3 hp router by hand and that’s why I’m asking for recommendations. I’ll consider the kits as I could always use another fixed base router.

Thanks,
    Wes Billups

2. Wes,
    I've heard great things about the DW621 - but it is a big router! I just picked up the DW618B3 (3 bases, 2 1/4 hp) and it is a nice, stout, powerful router. I got the set for $150 after rebate on sale.

You might just check it out!
    GO POKES!!

If you want a strictly mid-sized plunger...the DW621 is a good machine. So is the Festool OF1400, albeit a little more initial investment. That said, I still like to recommend the multi-base kits for general shop use...the DW618 is my personal favorite and I've been pleased with it in every way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I recently picked up a Riged combo and It's a really nice router. I like it better'n my PC 690 in a lot of ways.

Save up for a Festool OF1400.

I have the dewalt 618 kit but all it does is collect dust, because I always reach for my festool OF1400.

I went through three or four less-than-satisfactory plunge routers before the Elu (now Dewalt 621) came out. It, finally, was a good machine. It has built a lot of furniture for me over the years, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Maybe some of the newer models are as good, but I haven't tried them.

The inexpensive way to go would be to get the 693 plunge base, but you will probably not be satisfied with that. I have been looking at plunge routers lately and I don't think I would buy one until I have held one in my hands. By checking it out at the store you can see how well it fits you. I would look at the Milwaukee combo when it comes out. The plunge base is supposed to be very good. I was going to check it out when it comes out, since I have determined I like gripping the barrel of my 690, which can become pretty hot after an extended period of routing. The Milwaukee Body Grip router seems to be calling me.

Mike

The Dewalt 621 has been my only router for 5 years of occassional use, mainly in a table. It's not the best choice for a table router, but it is a great router overall.

plunge router

My vote for the Dewalt 616 or the 618 plunge router, works well, powerful,easy to handle and does the job for me.