Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dewalt Bashing

Dewalt Bashing

I'm not sure why I see a lot of negative reviews on Dewalt power tools. I own a fair share of them and have mostly been happy with them. They are more geared towards construction than fine woodworking - I use them for both. Some other observations:
    1. I can't remember the last time I visited a job site and didn't see "yellow" tools being used on a regular basis.
    2. I always see them when watching DIY type shows.
    3. They are readily available in stores and on-line.
    4. I understand some of the gripes of not "made in America", but not too many tools are manufactured here.
    I guess my questions would be to those who were disappointed when Black & Decker (Dewalt's Parent Company) bought Delta and Porter Cable:
    1. Did the quality of those tool companies really suffer when they were bought?
    2. Or is there no difference at all?

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I just wanted to offer my opinion and get opinions from others. I often rely on forums like this one before I make a tool purchase. I find them a great source of knowledge.

Rob, somebody has been handing you a pile of horse hockey. I have a 12V De Walt drill that I bought through Amazon outlet store. It works like a charm, and is on its second set of batteries.

I have the DW621 router that does a fine job. It is my router to use when something doesn't lend itself to the router table.

I also have the De Walt job site radio for the shop. It is not Hi-Fi unit, but it does the job reliably.

If someone gives you a ration about De Walt tools, tell them to take a hike.
    Best Regards, Ken

I too have had no issues what so ever. I have a 12V drill, their 733 planer, their table saw, biscuit jointer, etc.

I also have a lot of PC gear and have no issues with this equipment as well.

Not a single issue in years.

Michael

Rob, I wouldn't worry about it that much, there isn't a tool on the market that doesn't have a detractor somewhere along the line. All mass produced tools will have some folks that don't like them for this or that reason. Just seems to be the way it is.
    Some folks just like to get their shorts in a bunch over tools.

By the way, I also own Dewalt and Porter Cable products and have been quite happy.

Are most of those negative reviews on Amazon per chance? If so, don't pay a lot of attention to them. In my opinion, many of the people that write reviews on there concerning power tools wouldn't know a router from a raisin anyway. Often when you get to reading them, you find out that the person writing the review is clueless as to how the tool is to be used and complaining that it doesn't do what they expected it to.

I like my DeWalt tools. Two of the three base router sets, one of their DW610 routers, DW733 Planer, and probably a few other things if I think about it. No issues at all. Bill

I have a "yellow" two-speed bench top planer. Never had a problem with it and always get excellent results with it. Like somebody alluded to earlier....you can't make everybody happy.

to each his own

I have all brand name tools including PC Delta, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Hitachi,
    Jet, Rigid,old Amt, Bosch, Makita, and enjoy using all of them and have had great customer service. So to each his own, sometimes some stores simply don't want to enter the arena of pricing and don't sell the stuff the big stores carry and have exclusive stuff and great following. If it works and you can get parts we might want to be excited. Harry

Blog Entries
    I agree that I do a little head scratching when someone stated that they'd gone through 2 DW drills in 6 months(?). I try not to exceed a tool's design. I guess if I wanted to I could kill my 6 year old DW drill that is still going strong and has only (just recently) lost one battery. But I'd have to want to.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I've killed a couple of their screw guns in the past but they get abused daily. I do think their batteries are over priced too. Now as far as my 12 inch compound sliding miter saw goes, it's untouchable. The only design flaw in it is you can't put a stop on it for cutting 14-1/2 inch blocks to go between studs. It's just short of 14-1/2 so a stop has to be fabricated. All in all I've used their tools extensivly and would have to give them an honest b+ for quality and an A- for features. Just so you all know, I haven't experienced any tool that would be able to top these scores.IMHO
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Blog Entries
    Something else to keep in mind is that someone upset with a product is 12 times more likley to voice their opinion (write a review) than a person that is happy with a product. All in all, DW is a quality product across the board.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I use a Dewalt 18 volt hammer drill at work alot and I like it alot. It's a bit heavy but it works well. I have a dewalt biscuit jointer that is a great tool.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I've had no problems with DeWalt battery powered tools. They get used daily in a harsh environment where they get coated with concrete dust, splashed with water and rained upon. The 18v. circular saw cuts aluminum plate and angle with no problem. The only part to go bad is the batteries after 5 or 6 years.
    My first drill and saw combo still runs fine but the case is worn out! They have held up better than my Bosch cordless drill which lost both batteries, the charger and the electronic clutch.
    I would add that a fellow who works for me got DeWalt's 24v. hammer drill but ended up getting a Bosch Bulldog SDS because he had to wait for a battery to charge during extended drilling. He was probably expecting too much from it, drilling 40 holes in concrete in 30 minutes. For the cost of two batteries he got the corded Bosch.
    I also have there 735 planer but haven't used it enough to form an opinion. I'm looking for a 2 or 2 1/4 hp plunge router and DeWalt is one I'm considering.
    In summatiion, I would not be afraid of DeWalt tools.

I have heard negative things about the dewalt job site table saw. I have the 744 and think its a damn good little machine. It is still available at a good tool store, but hd sells the 745. Less money and less of a machine. When mass marketers sell something cheaper than everyone else, they are often not selling the exact same item. In turn hurting the reputation of the manufacturer.

I own a few Dewalt tools. My Dewalt drill is about 10 years old and used all the time. The first set of batteries died a while back and I only bought one new to replace it. It is still going strong. The 12V trim saw I bought with the drill was a turkey. It didn't have the power to cut through anything. The screwgun, bisquit joiner, and jigsaw all work fine.

Mike