Thread: Freud FT2200 router

Freud FT2200 router

Are there any instructions on how to remove the springs on this unit. I want to mount this under a router table.

Sure You want to?

Quote Originally Posted by AL SLAUGHTER View Post
    Are there any instructions on how to remove the springs on this unit. I want to mount this under a router table.
    I have the FT2000E. I took the springs out and made a crank that ran on the threaded rod inside one plunge column. With no tension on the crank, The crank would move when the router was running so I had to lock the plunge lock. I noticed that without the springs, when I locked the plunge lock the bit would tilt a bit. I then put a router raizer on it. Router Raizer recommends leaving the springs in so I put them back in. Thank heaven I put all the parts in one bag. It works fine with a router raizer and the springs in. No need to lock the plunge lock and if I did lock the plunge lock the bit no longer tilted. don't know about the 2200, does it have a height adjusting mechanism built in? This info is worth exactly what You paid for it. Enjoy your new acquisition.

Curt

Al,

We do not recommend removing the springs from the router. Having them both makes the machine more stable and less likely to cause injury if removed from the table.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles McCracken View Post
    Al,

We do not recommend removing the springs from the router. Having them both makes the machine more stable and less likely to cause injury if removed from the table.

I have a Freud 2-1/2 Hp router with the springs still in it and when table mounted, it tends to bind when I adjust it so the bit comes up out of the table more. I have to grab the handles and rock the motor a bit to get it to move. Any ideas? Lube on the posts doesn't seem to have helped.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McCracken View Post
    Al,

CM,
    I want to leave the router under the table permanently. I have been told under the table it is very hard to raise the router to change bits with the springs in. Is it not alright to remove the springs for under the table use. If so how do I remove the springs. Thanks Al

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I have the FT2000E. I took the springs out and made a crank that ran on the threaded rod inside one plunge column. With no tension on the crank, The crank would move when the router was running so I had to lock the plunge lock. I noticed that without the springs, when I locked the plunge lock the bit would tilt a bit. I then put a router raizer on it. Router Raizer recommends leaving the springs in so I put them back in. Thank heaven I put all the parts in one bag. It works fine with a router raizer and the springs in. No need to lock the plunge lock and if I did lock the plunge lock the bit no longer tilted. don't know about the 2200, does it have a height adjusting mechanism built in? This info is worth exactly what You paid for it. Enjoy your new acquisition.

Curt
    Curt,

The router Rizer, does it raise and lower, justs for fine adjustments ? Can you raise it up to the maximum to change the bits, if so do have to crank for and hour ??? Thanks...Al

Lee,

Please call our service department at (800) 334-4107 and they can help determine the cause of the binding.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

CM,
    I want to leave the router under the table permanently. I have been told under the table it is very hard to raise the router to change bits with the springs in. Is it not alright to remove the springs for under the table use. If so how do I remove the springs. Thanks Al
    Al,

I may be just used to the router but bit changes have never been an issue for me. Most of the time I can leave the router at the height it is set and change the bits. If you needed to service the router and maybe replace the springs you would need to remove the adjustment knob so the router will lift off of the base. The knob is two pieces of molded plastic that are snapped together (there is a seam about 3/8" from the top) with a screw inside that must be removed in order to screw it off of the threaded rod.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Curt,

The router Rizer, does it raise and lower, justs for fine adjustments ? Can you raise it up to the maximum to change the bits, if so do have to crank for and hour ??? Thanks...Al

Yes, the Router Raizer does fine adjustments. I have the Freud FT2200vce and removed 1 spring (recommended by Router Raizer if the router was subject to binding when operated one-handed). Router Raizer also recommends using the plunge lock with ALL routing operations. Due to the size of the opening in the router base, I can change bits without the need of bent wrenches or the collett above the table. One thing to watch out for...if your router plate is pre-drilled for a guide pin, the guide pin hole may interfere with the hole for the Router Raizer adjustment wrench (actually a hex wrench)...making it difficult to drill a round hole for the little dust plug. DAMHKT . (BTW, Woodhaven's plates are pre-drilled for guide pins on both sides of the bit opening). I am happy with the Router Raizer and would definitely buy again.

Todd

It works fine!!

Curt,

Hi Al

Yes, the router raizer will move the router throughout its' range of motion and do it pretty quickly. It comes with a 3/16" hex crank to turn the shaft. I bent the collet wrench that came with the router some so I can change bits above the table. Is it as good as the precision lifts? Probably not, but it certainly does what I need it to do nicely. You can see it here:
    http://www.routertechnologies.com/routerraizer.htm

Penn State Industries sells it for $89 and I think free shipping.

Curt

Raizer

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Hi Al

Yes, the router raizer will move the router throughout its' range of motion and do it pretty quickly. It comes with a 3/16" hex crank to turn the shaft. I bent the collet wrench that came with the router some so I can change bits above the table. Is it as good as the precision lifts? Probably not, but it certainly does what I need it to do nicely. You can see it here:
    http://www.routertechnologies.com/routerraizer.htm

Penn State Industries sells it for $89 and I think free shipping.

Curt
    Thanks Curt, for the great info, could not ask for better. I will purchase this item with all this info. AL