Thread: new projects 3/3

new projects 3/3

I haven’t posted to the forum in several months, though I continue to visit regularly to get advice and inspiration from other projects. I figured it was high time to quit lurking and post photos and details of recent projects. This is a pair of bookshelves I recently made for our house. It is constructed of maple shelves, Kahya legs and a marble top. The shelves sit in dadoes cut into the legs, secured with screw driven through the legs into the shelves. Ebony plugs cover the screw holes. The marble top sits on top of a 1/2" piece of plywood for support and the marble/plywood top is framed in maple, which is bevelled to soften the look. For the top I visited a local granite and marble shop and rumaged around their remnants and found a piece of Rosa Verona, which I negotiated a good price for. The plywood substrate is secured to the base with four screws that attach the substrate to the legs. The marble top is then epoxied to the plywood substrate. The bookshelves were finished with Waterlox, which is a fine finish but I didn't like how it yellowed the maple.

Thanks for looking...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work on the shelves. The proportions are nice and the contrast of the two woods isn't so great, as to be a distraction.

I like the sizing of the legs and the end uprights. Enough mass for a warm feel, but still lite enough not to overpower the total look with the complementing thickness of the top and shelves.

Nice.

PS. Looks like someone else likes the shelves too.

Nice work Roger. I agree with Jim on another post that you need to post more of your work.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Roger,

All three of these posts are excellent! Thanks for sharing your work...very, very nice indeed.