Thread: Bought a new Lathe - Now I need some accessories

Blog Entries

Bought a new Lathe - Now I need some accessories

I was in Woodcraft today just browsing and walked out with a new Jet 1014I lathe with the stand. I've been wanting to get into turning, so I figured this would be a good lathe to start with. In addition, I signed up for a 2-day intro to turning class.

Now, I need to pick up a few accessories. Whatever I buy, I'll do it next weekend during Woodcraft's 15% off brown bag sale. Here is what I have in mind:

1. Turning Set - Woodcraft reccomended the 6-piece Sorby Set of turning tools ($249), but I know a lot of Creekers reccomend the turning set from Harbor Freight. I'll probably go with the HF set ($40 vs. $250), but I cannot find them on the HF website. Can someone post the link?
    2. Chuck - After the store manager showed me the pros and cons of their selection, the $139 Nova G3 chuck seemed like the way to go.
    3. Grinding Jig - The $79 Wolverine jig looked like a great option and will compliment my slow speed grinder well.
    4. Pen Mandrel - Turning pens are what I want to do the most to start out. I like nice pens.
    5. Most importantly - Safety Shield.
    What else am I missing? To be honest with you, I'm not all that certain what I want to turn since it is all new to me.

In addition, I'm becoming a member of one of the local turning clubs.

I am looking forward to unpacking my Jet Lathe and turn something, even if its the dead limb in the backyard.

Thanks for the help.

Here's the link to the HF turning tools:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47066

And here's a link to recent discussion on accessories:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=59494

Looks like you're off to a good start...you might also want to check out the International Association of Penturners...just Google it for the link.

Welcome to turning!
    Working for a living is really starting to interfere with my hobbies!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Malyszko View Post
    1. Turning Set - Woodcraft reccomended the 6-piece Sorby Set of turning tools ($249), but I know a lot of Creekers reccomend the turning set from Harbor Freight. I'll probably go with the HF set ($40 vs. $250), but I cannot find them on the HF website. Can someone post the link?
    2. Chuck - After the store manager showed me the pros and cons of their selection, the $139 Nova G3 chuck seemed like the way to go.
    3. Grinding Jig - The $79 Wolverine jig looked like a great option and will compliment my slow speed grinder well.
    4. Pen Mandrel - Turning pens are what I want to do the most to start out. I like nice pens.
    5. Most importantly - Safety Shield.
    Tim,
    Here is the link to the set:

Just did a keyword search on gouges.

I have this set as well as a set of the Crowns and a few others. It is an ok set. The handles feel a lot cheaper than the Crowns, but they work well. I bought the set from HF just to learn to sharpen, was taking off way to much expensive metal.

Woodcraft sells a nice beginners pen turners kit with mandrel, bushings, and kits to make 5 pens. you may want to consider that as well.

As far as chucks go, the Nova midi chuck and the Pinnacle chucks are both good on the low end. I got the Pinnacle with the cole jaws just to keep from having to change out the jaws on the nova.

You may also want to get the rolls of sandpaper and some micromesh.

Good luck with your turning.

Nathan

Welcome to the abyss, Tim. If you haven't already figured it out by now, your wallet is going to be so empty that it will have moths flying out of it. Take a picture of any money you have left and post it on the wall above your lathe, because that's the last you'll see of it. You have been warned!!

Welcome to the club!!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Welcome to the wonderful world of turning Tim - so much for your free time!!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I second the vote for Micromesh. Hard to get a really fine finish on a pen without it. Also, buy the bushings from the pen supplier, not all the pens that look the same in the catalog are exactly the same DAMHIKT.

I have the same Jet and love it. Last bit of advice, I started turning pens on the slowest speed but at some point saw a speed chart for different sized turnings and saw that the recommended speed for a 1" spindle was close to the lathes top speed. I have since moved up to the second pulley from the top for pens and with a sharp tool have seen a great improvement in the surface of the wood when I have finished turning. Not only takes less time but less sanding time as well as I can start with a higher grit.

Enjoy your journey into the vortex
    Determined to master the skew.....patience is a virtue

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the wonderful world of turning Tim - so much for your free time!!!
    Free time?? What's That?

You may also want to get the rolls of sandpaper and some micromesh.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I completely forgot about these two important components.

Woodcraft sells a nice beginners pen turners kit with mandrel, bushings, and kits to make 5 pens. you may want to consider that as well.
    I'll look into picking it up on Saturday also. Hopefully they will have one in stock.

Looks like you're off to a good start...you might also want to check out the International Association of Penturners...just Google it for the link.
    Thanks for the penturner info.

Here's the link to the HF turning tools:
    Thanks for the link. By the way, you aren't the Sports Handicapper Ron Raymond, are you?

On another note, I may buy the Sorby's anyway. I have a 25% off any single item at Rockler coupon that is set to expire Saturday. In addition, I have a $50 gift card that I've been looking to use that I got from some clamp purchases a few weeks ago. That brings the cost out of my pocket down to $137 for the Set of 6 Sorby Tools - only $100 more than the HF. I'd use the coupon on a chuck, but I wasn't thrilled with our local Rockler Store's Chuck Selection.

Thanks for all the info. It's amazing how a $250 lathe is turning into a $1000+ investment when you throw in the accessories and the classes I signed up for. I can see the money flying out of my pocket as I write.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Malyszko View Post
    Thanks for the link. By the way, you aren't the Sports Handicapper Ron Raymond, are you?
    Nope, not me. Have you ever Googled your own name? I did that once and found someone with my exact full name who was the emcee for a female impersonator revue show in Aruba. I sure hope my high school reunion committee doesn't use Google to try to find me!
    Working for a living is really starting to interfere with my hobbies!

Your initial interest may be pens but you'll most likely want to move on to other things later. When you do, you will need something in the way of power sanding. HF makes a cheap close-quarter drill that does a respectable job. Consider a velcro-type disc sanding system to use with the drill. An even better option for power sanding is the Grex pneumatic ROS if you have a big enough air compressor to power it.

Blog Entries
    Nope, not me. Have you ever Googled your own name? I did that once and found someone with my exact full name who was the emcee for a female impersonator revue show in Aruba. I sure hope my high school reunion committee doesn't use Google to try to find me!
    O well. It was worth a shot. That's funny about the female impersonator thing in Aruba. My name isn't very common, so when I google myself, the only thing that comes up are my old highschool and college football statistics, SMC posts and a few things related to my field of work.

Micromesh is great stuff. Also don't forget some finishing items like oil, wax, etc.

Also make sure you have a dust mask or respirator for sanding. I have the washable cloth one from woodcraft and I like it.

BTW, Nancy is spot-on. All disposable income (and then some) is gone.