Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Festool Rotex Sanders

Well actually my point is that there is no good reason for Festool to use a propritary hole pattern in the first place. They claim that their hole pattern results in more efficent dust extraction but in my experience this is a clear case of hair splitting. And it's not a center hole, it's the entire hole pattern. So you would have to punch or drill eight holes, not just one and since the (non-Festool) disk already has five or eight holes in it to begin with, that's a lot of sandpaper missing, not to mention the complete PITA of having to do all that hole punching. I asked Festool if they would consider offering a punch / template that could be used to repunch other brands of disks or generic hook and loop abrasive but they were not too keen on the idea....
    David DeCristoforo

Yes, and I have. However, I ended up getting the Festool CT22 vacuum to go with the ROTEX 150 and it's the best. You can stack your sander's "systainer" on top of the vacuum and wheel it around. These sanders are like crack cocaine, so you'll really appreciate this when you get 3 or 4 sanders and are able to wheel them right to the work. The dust extractor is top notch, too. Trigger activated and zero dust with the HEPA filters and bags and you can dial the suction up or down so your sander won't "stick" to the work (not so much of an issue with the ROS sanders but it does happen with the standard orbital palm-type sanders).

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Cambra View Post
    Easy Question: Can Festool products be used with non-Festool vacuum/dust extractors in particular the Rotex?

Do you think the local Woodcraft ould allow a demo of one of these. Would like to try before I buy, want to make sure I get a noticable improvemnt in performance over the Dewalt ROS I am currently using.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Ont thing....if you buy a Festool sander, you have to buy Festool abrasives. Festool uses a "propritary" hole pattern so other brands of abrasives will not "work". Festool machines are excellent quality and "worth" the price but I really resent being forced to buy sandpaper from them. I have at least a half dozen places within a few minutes of my shop where I can buy abrasives and if I need something right then, I can just "pop over" and grab what I need. With the Festool sander, I have to order in advance or run the risk of running out at just the wrong time (like on Sunday afternoon and I have to deliver the project on Monday morning).
    No one forces you to do anything you don't want to. You speak with where you spend and how you spend your money. You went into the Festool idea knowing this ahead of time so why belly-ache about it now? Buy a bunch ahead of time and you are ready to go.

Technically, you can slap whatever paper you want on there...it may not suck ALL the dust up that the Festool paper will but it will get your job done in time for that Monday delivery. Why don't you experiment for us...show us that Festool's pattern isn't all it is cracked up to be. For me, I'll just keep an eye on my stock of paper and replenish it as the need arises.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The grey hose is cheaper because it lacks the anti-static feature, which is not needed with non-Festool vacs.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Curtis View Post
    I bought the Festool Rotex. But I already had a Fein Turbo II vacuum. I called the dealer when I got home and unpacked everything. He told me this:

Festool vacuums have two grades of hoses. One for autostart that is Green and more expensive. One that is Grey and cheaper. Both vacuum hoses would fit my Fein shopvac. The hoses have a ribbed tip that couples with a collar on Festool ports and fixes the hose so it won't shake loose while in use.

Or, to save $60, Fein makes a set of step-down hose tips for $9 for most hose sizes. They are a rubberized plastic that can be force-fit into the Festool dust port. You have to cut off the diameter section that matches your hose and the Festool first. They hold pretty good, but not as well as the genuine Festool DC hose.

Gary Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Yes, and I have. However, I ended up getting the Festool CT22 vacuum to go with the ROTEX 150 and it's the best. You can stack your sander's "systainer" on top of the vacuum and wheel it around. These sanders are like crack cocaine, so you'll really appreciate this when you get 3 or 4 sanders and are able to wheel them right to the work. The dust extractor is top notch, too. Trigger activated and zero dust with the HEPA filters and bags and you can dial the suction up or down so your sander won't "stick" to the work (not so much of an issue with the ROS sanders but it does happen with the standard orbital palm-type sanders).

JW
    This whole system works very well together--that is the point of the design. My wife actually like sanding now!! It is very clean and most importantly, it is very quiet. The whole system is very comfortable to work with!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

"You went into the Festool idea knowing this ahead of time so why belly-ache about it now?"

Thank you for the scolding Chris...I really needed that! I can't thank you enough for making my day.....
    David DeCristoforo

[quote=Chris Padilla;602729]No one forces you to do anything you don't want to. You speak with where you spend and how you spend your money. You went into the Festool idea knowing this ahead of time so why belly-ache about it now? Buy a bunch ahead of time and you are ready to go.

Wow, chill out man. For a minute there, I thought I was on the wrong forum!!!

Last edited by Gary Keedwell; 06-13-2007 at 5:45 PM.

Another useful tip: if you run out of paper in the woods, poke a hole in a leaf with your finger.
    You're going to need more than a Festool to clean that one off.

To have to or not to have to, that was the question. I suppose it applies to sandpaper and vacs and all sorts of things.
    So far, the shopvac works great for my Hitachi slider, Bosch 3" planer, Dewalt 5" orbital, and my Festool t55. Don't tell anyone, but I've also used 5 hole sandpaper on an 8 hole pad. And had a local shop sharpen my Forrest blades.

Oh, the blasphemy and danger!!

I thought we were woodworkers, not country clubbers, and the only thing that matters is the end result. I guess arguing helps pass the time between projects, though some of you may need to find work. Is the Festool system very nice? Absolutely, and buy it all if you've got the bills. Will many alternatives work equally if not better at the same task? Absolutely, and be creative until you've decided its finished. Did I skimp on the Festool vac and compromise the quality of my finished projects? No way.

Oh, and to answer your 2d question Mac - I doubt Woodcraft would let you 'demo' it in the field, though they'd probably let you try one in the store or at their wood university classes.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Ont thing....if you buy a Festool sander, you have to buy Festool abrasives. Festool uses a "propritary" hole pattern so other brands of abrasives will not "work"
    Klingspor sells both 5" and 6" 9-hole abrasives. While they may not be local, there is an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Jensen View Post
    Another useful tip: if you run out of paper in the woods, poke a hole in a leaf with your finger.
    You're going to need more than a Festool to clean that one off.
    Ok...now I gotta question. What is the deal with poking a hole in the leaf? I dont do it with regular TP...my god man, it would take acetone or something to get rid of the stain !! and smell. I proudly let the paper do the work and usually get a good scald on it, unless its one of those never ending greasy wipers. Which can be tied to having a smooth taper or not.Who started this tradition? Did they have any fingernails? . This is one "hand" tool I aint trying....I'll stick with the right tool for the yob
    Last edited by Randy Denby; 06-14-2007 at 1:12 AM.
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

LOL randy...good stuff. More great advice I can credit a Marine Corps sergeant for(the hole in the leaf).