Thread: And now for something completely different...

And now for something completely different...

Knobs!

The one on the left, was done by me, in the wee hours of this morning. (I am barely a turner, having had a few lessons from Bill Grumbine, who will remind me I still owe him a picture of the Shaker candle stand we started over five years ago (I think) that's still not finished. Sorry Bill, but I am getting closer, as I recently acquired an indexer for my mini-lathe, so I can cut the dovetails for the legs.) But I digress...

The small one has a shaft of 1/4 inch, and the knob portion is 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. I am making these for C. H. Becksvoort's Shaker Clock class that I will attend at Kelly Mehler's School in July. I think I got the neck a little too small, and I didn't "flare" into the bottom of the mushroom. I was using a skew, so it is more of a straight line. I also burned the edge when I was burnishing it with shavings. I didn't know you could do that, but I won't do it again.

Now, compare mine to the one on the right, done by the master himself, CHB, at a seminar I attended two summers ago. I hung around so long that he gave me the knob he turned in the seminar as he was packing up. You will notice that he has a nice flare under the mushroom top, and a nicer curve from the base. So, I have some room to improve. Chris' knob has a 3/8 inch shaft, and the size is about 3/4 by 3/4 inches.

This is my second attempt at this knob. The first was a disaster, with lots of tear out and poor form.

Critiques and suggestions for improvement welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Martin Shupe; 06-12-2007 at 7:37 AM.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Martin

I like the way they turned out. I just tried making knobs for a sjaker cabinet. One of my turning videos has a section on it. It looked easy on the video. I wanted ebony knobs so I bought enough ebony to do the knobs. I tried practicing on some scrap wood and got to the point were I thought I was ready. Then I tried the knobs in ebony. They turned into a disaster. Both on the practice and on the ebony I kept getting tear out on the flat grain side of the blanks. Especially at the base where the thickness get to about 1/8". I was really frustrated and haven't figured out what I did wrong. Maybe somebody here can help.

Quinn

Not too bad Martin.....Keep in mind the "Master" has probably turned a couple hundred if not thousands of these. Production turning and that's what this qualifies as is very difficult. When you have to produce more than one that have to look a like....it's booger!

I turned 12 bubinga knobs for a guy. Without a doubt it was the most difficult project I've turned to date! Recently I turned spindles for Dave Richards wheel on his sailboat. Difficult but not quite as difficult as those knobs!

Good luck and keep practicing! They'll get better!

PS....IMHO...anyone who can make a night time carrier landing can surely learn to turn knobs!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-12-2007 at 9:28 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nice work, Martin!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Martin..!!!! You sly dawg you. Sneaking in here with a turning of the round world. Congrats. I think the knob you turned looks very nice. I'd be proud to put it on a clock I've made. You did good buddy!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Exclamation

Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have wood, will turn!!