Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Frustration

Shop Frustration

We just moved into our house in February. Moving my shop was not something I was looking forward to since it took me so long to get it setup at our old house.

Since we've been here I've managed to build a few small things and acquire a few more tools. Most of my time has been used up by unpacking, rearranging, yard work, etc. I still have not hung many of our pictures on the walls and they are in stacks leaning up against walls all over the house.

I'm finally getting to the point where I can focus a little more on the shop and I'm just feeling hopeless.

I have a half finished project; machinery in odd places; disconnected DC with lots of ducting that has not been done yet; some minor electrical work; lots of lumber and rough planks all over the place; disorganized tools. All that and the sinking feeling that my two car garage is smaller than the one at my last house.

I spent some time last night cleaning and organizing and I feel like I move things from one side of the shop to the other and back again with little progress. I'm tripping over things and can't figure out how to arrange the shop and the DC. I'm just feeling overwhelmed.

I need a boost. Any of you fellow Creeker's ever feel this way? What did you do get through it?
    The day you think you know everything will be very same day you stop learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Grill View Post
    Any of you fellow Creeker's ever feel this way? What did you do get through it?
    Yessiree - just did a cross country moved out of a 3 car over sized garage into an undersized single awaiting my new home completion. I literally didn't do any wood working for the first 3 months due to the same frustration. I finally put machinery there wasn't room for (upgraded/new and clean) into the spare bedroom and just kept the essentials in the garage. I still have to move the jointer and planer to the drive for use but I've managed to make all the cabinets for my new shop as well as a couple of bedroom pieces. Point being, I found it better just to get back into it than sit back and be frustrated trying to over think solutions.

I feel your pain. I went from a 555 sq.ft. shop (garage) to a 425 sq. ft. one. I initially used Grizzley's layout program (free) to get a general lay out idea. I then put in the electrical and lights. Had to down size my Drill press and sell my Spindle sander. Made some special cabinets to utilize space more eficiently and put in elec. recepticals on the ceiling to diminish the need for extension cords and now have to move the DC connection around from machine to machine. Its surely not as comfortable as the old site , but I'm getting used to it. Dick B.

been there-done that

Jim,
    I empathies with you on your dilemma. I have moved my shop around 3 times since I moved into my new house 2005. It's all about space to me. If you’re looking for some advice- move everything to one side first of all or completely out of the garage. I like to put ideas down on paper first layout of the shop, start there and then make some adjustments. I can understand your frustration - I hate a cluttered and disorganized environment to begin with , you try to put things in order and in doing so trip over things along the way , falling objects and coffee all over the floor - the domino affect., - just hang in there and start with a plan. I hope you get that new shop the way you want it- just be patient
    Brian

space saving :)

Jim,
    I use the ms-uv stand that ridged makes- it is the best stand out there as far as I am concerned. I have my small planner , dbl compound miter saw and my radial arm saw on these and from those machines alone taking up 200sq feet of space to utilize to under 12sq feet to store is incredible.
    Home depot is currently clearing these out for the new models which I really don't care for. They are on sale from $199.00 to $99.00 now -
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 06-12-2007 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling & pics

Jim, been there...done that... ...In fact, all the landscaping work I've had to be doing for the past few weeks has totally kept me out of the shop

Sometimes you just need to step back and decide what's most important to do first. From your description, it sounds like dealing with a little bit of storage/organization may be helpful, such as getting the lumber rack up, etc. That makes space so you can better visualize where you might want things to be during normal shop operation. From there, you can get the duct work hung and out of the way, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Weick View Post
    Jim,
    I use the ms-uv stand that ridged makes- it is the best stand out there as far as I am concerned. I have my small planner , dbl compound miter saw and my radial arm saw on these and from those machines alone taking up 200sq feet of space to utilize to under 12sq feet to store is incredible.
    Home depot is currently clearing these out for the new models which I really don't care for. They are on sale from $199.00 to $99.00 now -
    Brian
    Jim,

I bought one of those 99 buck specials too. I just made bases for my planer, router/shaper, compound miter saw and small 9 inch radial arm saw and mount whichever one I am using on the bench.

On the rare occasion that I want two available at once, I have a DeWalt stand that is set up about the same.

I reserve my small shop for doing hand-tool stuff. When I have a project needing a powered dust-maker, I set up temporarily outside or in a car port, do my thing, then move back inside. The wheeled stand really assists in this mode of operation.

Loren

Thanks, everyone.

It's nice to know that others know my pain!

I think I need to take a step back and clear my head. Addressing storage makes the most sense to me, too. I think I'll move everything to one side and start by removing things that don't belong. Then I'll move it all to the other side and do the same thing. I'm lucky to have a loft above the garage. It's a mess as well, but will make good storage.

I think my biggest problem is all the lumber I have in stock right now. I have a lot of shorts, too.

How do some of you deal with storing shorts? I hate to throw them out.

I have to go to the borg this week for unrelated items. I'll check on that stand while I'm there. I have two seldom used power tools that could benefit from that treatment.

I wonder if they make one for a 15" planer?

Jim,

I'm in a very similar situation. We've recently moved and I went from being able to hog 2 bays of a 3 car garage for my shop, to sharing a single bay of a 2 car garage with a 1946 chevy. Needless to say, I have NO room to do anything. I push the car out when i want to do things and run an extension cord to the dryer outlet when i want to use my saw.

We are still in the process of fixing up the old house, so weekend are spent driving 180 miles to the old house and working on tiling, painting, etc...

Everything is in a box. I spend more time looking for things, than actually doing things.

But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Once we get the old place on the market and sold, I'll be working on putting up a new shop, so I just have to tough it out for a year or so.

What I do to get past the frustation is to every now and then just tackle some sort of small project. Screen doors, etc...

Jim,
    Make a quick sketch of the area you are using for you shop & try a few different versions to maximize work flow & tool locations & storage possibilities. Pick one & go with it (you'll change it before you're done or shortly there after). My preference is to empty the garage and ponder a minute and start using good old masking tape to lay out tool locations... can't make myself make sketches on paper or computer for this.
    Take a full day and pull everything out in the driveway. Install the DC ducting & tackle the storage of all that is driving you nuts. Move the toyls to their new resting spot and use'em!
    That came easy, 'cause I just convinced myself last night I need to "pimp that shop" ...after my deck building and brick patio from the last month plus the shop has become unused except for tossing stuff into at the end of the day. I too much prefer working in my shop not on it, but one does make the other much more enjoyable & productive!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Once we get the old place on the market and sold, I'll be working on putting up a new shop, so I just have to tough it out for a year or so.

Thank you for sharing, Brent. I'm feeling more motivated with each response.

Good luck on your shop, Brent.
    Last edited by Jim Grill; 06-12-2007 at 1:22 PM. Reason: forgot to wish luck to Brent - I'm too self absorbed :-(

Cool

Jim,
    Hang in there. It will all come together. Unfortunately it all takes time. I remember my dad moving from a large basement shop in Virginia that filled up the entire, full sized basement to a garage in California. What a shock it was. As Jim Becker suggested, organization was the thing that finally solved the problems. It sounds like setting up your plan, perhaps using one of the layout programs like the one that Grizzly or Delta have on their websites. Then you can start moving things to their future locations and setting up the DC system.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cole View Post
    Jim,
    That came easy, 'cause I just convinced myself last night I need to "pimp that shop" ...after my deck building and brick patio from the last month plus the shop has become unused except for tossing stuff into at the end of the day. I too much prefer working in my shop not on it, but one does make the other much more enjoyable & productive!

Greg
    Hi Greg. Is that a new hit TV show? "Pimp My Shop" I sure wish those guys would come over and help me out!

Good advice. I took some measurements on my lunch break and plugged them into some graph paper and Grizzly's shop designer tool.

I'd get stuff put away just enough to have space to work. Stack lumber vertically in a corner. Work off of a few extension cords and a shop vac or single DC hose moved machine to machine for now. (This is how I've done woodworking since I got into it 6 years ago. ) That'll get you doing woodworking instead of just dreaming about it. And, that will generate layout improvements and a welcome break from the planning and organizing.