Thread: 3520 Users

3520 Users

I'm going to come off sounding amatuerish here but here goes. I saw a guy roughing a large walnut blank on a oneway on you-tube, and he reversed the lathe without turning it off. He actually came out and said the manufactors said this will not hurt the lathe. Can we do this on 3520's

2. I asked the same question recently to an electrician and was told "yes". But I'm in such a habit of turning it off before I reverse that I usually continue to do so.

Further, you want to be careful when you reverse...you can unscrew a face plate or chuck if it doesn't have a set screw setup to keep it in place when reversed. (OneWay does have that feature on their lathes, chucks and face plates)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Paul, when he reversed it, did it come to a slow stop and then reverse, or was it instantaneous?

Oneways will decelerate, pause for a split second, then reverse and speed up. I do it all the time with a flick of the switch.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Further, you want to be careful when you reverse...you can unscrew a face plate or chuck if it doesn't have a set screw setup to keep it in place when reversed. (OneWay does have that feature on their lathes, chucks and face plates)
    The 3520 has the set screw setup for keeping it in place also. You can flip the switch on the PM also and it will reverse. But cautious me turns it off and then switches direction.

Jim

I've done this before on mine...by accident...it quickly slows down and then starts the reverse rotation. If your chuck or faceplate isn't on good, then I'd be will to bet that whatever you're turning could wind up on the lathe bed or the floor.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.