Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of buying this router

Talk me out of buying this router

I want a router. I do not need one I just want one. I do not build anything except some crude outside furniture. (Benches etc.) When I bought my table saw (before finding this site) I latter wished I had done more research and waited.

Anyway – I saw this on sale at Sears http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

It is on sale for ½ price. For $60 I don’t see how I could go wrong. And if it doesn’t work out I could always return it within 90 days. I would love a better table and router but I can not justify it at this point in time. So what do you think of this for a first time hobby router?

Thanks for your advice,
    Mark

Hi Mark - I wouldn't do it. There are lots of better choices IMHO. You'd be limited to bits with 1/4" shanks with that router, not to mention that it doesn't have the greatest reputation. Craftsman has a couple of other routers that are better.

This Hitachi is only $10 more and accepts 1/2" shanks plus has a better reputation. It's still a single speed router but that's fine for hand use for most applications. This is certainly not the world;s greatest router but is a better starter for nearly the same price.

You can always build your own table if that's something that was part of the appeal.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-M12SC-...1694832&sr=8-5
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

There's two negatives I see right off: It only has a 1/4" collet and it's not variable speed. Why don't you post in the classified that you want a router with a 1/2" collet and variable speed. And if you want the lowest price, look for a fixed base instead of a plunge. There's always sombody who upgraded and has an older router that they want to get rid of.

Mike

[added note] Scott's suggestion is good.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mark,

It looks like a Skil brand router - check out how much they go for on Amazon.
    But for $60 you should get 2-3 years out of it.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    This Hitachi is only $10 more and accepts 1/2" shanks plus has a better reputation. It's still a single speed router but that's fine for hand use for most applications. This is certainly not the world;s greatest router but is a better starter for nearly the same price.

Agree.

I have one those Hitachis and I think it's a great router.
    The day you think you know everything will be very same day you stop learning.

Blog Entries
    You'll be disappointed with a 1/4" collet only very quickly. Did that help?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gary View Post
    I want a router. I do not need one I just want one. I do not build anything except some crude outside furniture. (Benches etc.) When I bought my table saw (before finding this site) I latter wished I had done more research and waited.

Anyway – I saw this on sale at Sears http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

It is on sale for ½ price. For $60 I don’t see how I could go wrong. And if it doesn’t work out I could always return it within 90 days. I would love a better table and router but I can not justify it at this point in time. So what do you think of this for a first time hobby router?

Thanks for your advice,
    Mark
    save your money!!!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Being limited to a 1/4" shank would suck.
    You should take Scott's advice and go with the Hitachi.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I burned out a similar router in less than a year.

Save your money.

I'll third the Hitachi model. I have the plunge version and am very pleased.

Mark, I have to admit that I have that very router and table. No, I didn't pay full price for it, but I paid more that $60. Like you with your saw, I bought it long before I even knew places like this were on the Internet. I have dreamed for years about having a router table and I saw this as my chance to get one.

That being said, the router and table are very limited in what they can do. As has been stated, the collet only takes 1/4" shanks, there is no speed selection and, something that hasn't been said, the table is very small with a lot of plastic parts. Saying that the table and fence are cheap is an understatement.

For someone like me who has never used a router, it's fine as a starter. I have used it with excellent results.

I'm planning on keeping it around for working on things like boxes. It's actually very good for that. It is not a set up that could be used for large pieces, especially furniture. For that I'm planning on adding a larger router table next to my table saw and using the Incra fence system that I have with a Bosch router that I bought a couple of years ago (before sawmill Creek).

I can't tell you to buy or not to buy. That's something that only you can decide. It all depends on your experience and what you intend to use a router for. What is a "good buy" for some here, would be a terrible selection for others. Weigh all the advice, especially from those who have a lot more experience than I do, and they do as you wish. It's your money.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gary View Post

Thanks for your advice,
    Mark
    Do not buy it. I have one and it's not worth the $60. The height changes by itself the table is not very stable. You can not buy plunge base for it.

Wait a while and you will find a deal on Hitachi, Bosch, DeWalt or Porter Cable.

I just upgraded to PC 890 series with two bases that I jusct bught from another Creeker in my area.

I had a sears router and table once. Gave it away to an aquaintance. And I am a believer in Routers are kind of like clamps. You can never have too many. Don't buy crap, no matter how cheap.

Another one, on the lower, left looks pretty good for about the same price with both 1/4" and 1/2" collets:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...inate+Trimmers

You'd be better off screwing your router to the bottom of a piece of plywood than using one of the inexpensive aluminum tables.
    Last edited by Bill Neely; 06-13-2007 at 1:11 AM.

Craftsman tools are not what they used to be. I think the only good thing they still make are their wrenches.
    The Beach Bum Woodworker

15. To chime in with the other posts, I agree, don't waste your money.

Many years ago when I started making hardwood furniture, I began with Crapsman power tools, which seemed reasonable at the time.

As they failed (quickly) I threw then into a 55-gallon drum (ha-ha) so I could fix them later, which of course never happened. As the years went by, the drum filled with power-hand tools. The sedimentary layers, when I cleaned out the drum were Crapsman at the bottom, Makita the next layer and some off-brand junk I should never have bought in the first place. There is one Milwaukee in the heap, which was my own fault as it was stored in a shed in Florida and I think the motor windings dried out (replaced last week).

The rest of my handtools these days are the durable Milwaukees, a couple of Bosch I am trying out and the Hitachi compound chopsaw with original blade after going through a whole bunch of wood and projects.

Especially with a router, get one which has 1/4 and 1/2 capability, plenty of power.

Forget about price when you buy power hand tools. The highest price ones you'll find aren't that much more than the cheapies, which will have to be replaced anyway (fake savings).

I'm done now so you can go off to something far more interesting.